Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » 2013 printer recommendations (13x19" format)

Author Topic: 2013 printer recommendations (13x19" format)
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-11-2013 01:23 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A few years ago there was a recommendation on here for the HP B8550 printer, which handles 13x19" paper. I got one of these printers and it really does make nice prints, but it's so clunky and unreliable that I want to replace it. I have to fight it everytime I want to make a print, especially on photo paper. It refuses to even pick up 4x6 paper, and if I'm making signs on 13x19, I have to feed it one sheet at a time otherwise it will suck up three or four sheets, or say it's out of paper when it isn't, etc etc.

I was drawn to that printer because it didn't cost that much, but as always, you get what you pay for. So I'm ready to upgrade to something better, more reliable and so on. Anyone got any recommendations? I guess my main usage would be for making smaller one-sheets and signs, but I do print the occasional photo too, so good print quality is a must.

|  IP: Logged

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 03-11-2013 01:36 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If this is just for the occasional large-format item, you might want to price out buying a printer vs. taking the work to Kinkos or a print shop. A performing-arts center where I occasionally show films uses a local print shop to print their large-format "posters" and the output quality is excellent. I don't know the actual cost, but it might be worth considering, anyway.

I have no specific experience with large-format printers, and cannot recommend anything specific.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 03-11-2013 03:08 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Once, I thought HP printers were good but, lately, I don't care for them much. They are clunky, take a long time to start printing, I don't care for their software drivers and even after much fooling around, still only print on par with other brands. I really haven't seen an HP photo printer that can beat an Epson or a Canon.

Further, last time I checked prices, HP was among the most expensive brands.

My next photo printer is probably going to be an Epson.
Then, again, I don't use a photo printer very much. I usually just make real photos.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-11-2013 03:28 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott - if we had a print shop here in town I would definitely do that. But...the nearest is 100 miles away so I need to be in-house for this kind of thing.

I would probably print more stuff if it wasn't such an unpleasant experience with my current machine. I have been researching a few of the Epson machines and I am leaning that way.

I remember we used to have a guy who worked for HP on the forum...wonder what ever happened to him.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 03-11-2013 07:34 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The epson WF-7010 has good reviews and looks like it can be had for $130 or so.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 03-11-2013 10:21 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just what I've been looking for. [thumbsup]

Scott Jentsch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-15-2013 09:47 AM      Profile for Scott Jentsch   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Jentsch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,

I might have been the one to recommend the HP 8550. I still have it and it's not given us any trouble, but we don't put it through a big workout. My biggest issue with it was when I accidentally disengaged the print head when I was replacing some ink carts, and thought I was going to have to replace the print head at $$$.

Paper handling is probably the biggest issue I've ever experienced with printers. I got rid of a hulking color laser because it just couldn't pick up paper reliably, resulting in a false paper jam error. When I finally got tired of dealing with it and decided to either repair or replace it, the cost of repair in addition to the high cost of the toner cartridges convinced me to just trade it in for a $50 credit towards a new printer.

I assume that you've already tried to clean/replace the rollers? I've been able to fix a lot of paper handling problems by cleaning the rollers, and some printers do allow for them to be replaced. However, with the new printers being priced to sell, I doubt that it might be possible.

I had an Epson 870 before picking up the HP, and while it created excellent photos for its time, it really wanted to be used on a regular basis. Because we only used it once a week or so, the print nozzles were constantly in need of cleaning in order to produce streak-free photos, and all that cleaning really drains the ink cartridges.

Looking at the info for the Epson WorkForce WF-7010, all the talk about "affordable" might be reason for concern. Its initial price is low (esp. for a wide format printer), but I would be concerned about its reliability and if it will really hold up any better than the HP did. We live in an age of planned obsolescence, where most electronics are treated like cell phones, where the companies want you to replace them every other year, so little durability, much less repairability, is designed into them.

If you find something, please follow up and let us know what you think. It would be good to know of options if/when our HP decides its useful life has passed!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: