Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » RIP Robert Throop.

Author Topic: RIP Robert Throop.
Alan Gouger
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2013 11:07 AM      Profile for Alan Gouger   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Gouger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With permission from the Throop family it is with my deepest condolence to announce Robert Throop has passed unexpectedly. Robert has been a participating member of this forum for many years. Robert worked with film sense age 16. Film was his passion, he continued to project only "film" in his theater despite the digital transition. He was sad to see the transition taking place. A true film enthusiast.

RIP Robert.

|  IP: Logged

Jack Theakston
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2013 02:58 PM      Profile for Jack Theakston   Email Jack Theakston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I spoke with Bob the day before he passed, and had seen him Sunday. He always brought an excellent show here at the Capitol, which he had worked at since the late '60s. His passing marks not only that of a valuable employee and a good friend, but one of the last great projectionists of his era.

Last month, Bob was interviewed for the Peter Flynn documentary, followed by a video interview that I conducted. I'm glad that I did, and I'm glad that I knew the man.

Thomas Hauerslev
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2013 03:34 PM      Profile for Thomas Hauerslev   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Hauerslev   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is really sad news. I met Bob only one day in May 1997 during our visit in CT to American Optical Company during the Todd-AO Historical Tour. Bob and I kept in touch ever since. For a Dane coming to the BIG US, Bob was the man to talk to and he opened doors to another Bob at the RCMH and much more. A great DP70 friend and lover of the 70mm format. I am very happy that I invited Bob to attend our meeting with the developers of Cinerama, IMAX and Todd-AO over a dinner table in Pomfret on afternoon so many years ago. Cheers to Robert Throop from Denmark!

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2013 03:47 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is terrible news. Bob and I exchanged emails just a few days ago.

I met Bob in 2004 during a memorable trip that took me through Upstate New York. We had a meal and talked film for several hours. I now regret not having a photo taken of us.

Over the years, Bob has generously shared with me his historical Syracuse film exhibition research as well as stories of his life as a projectionist.

This reminds me that the day prior to meeting Bob, I met Kodak's late, great John Pytlak, with whom I also shared a meal, a tour of the George Eastman House, and talked film for a couple of hours. A couple days after that I found myself in New York City and met Bill Gabel. Again, a great meal, tour of his screening room, and hours of film talk.

Somewhere in between those visits, I fit in a day at the Major League Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown and attended some MLB games. Looking back, that may have been the best vacation I've ever had.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-22-2013 05:12 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I worked with Bob on many installations when I worked with Entertainment Equipment Corp
A passionate and detail oriented person He will be missed

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 03-22-2013 08:54 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
R.I.P. Bob

Thanks for all the information about the Art of Projection and theatres.

Alan Gouger
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2013 07:04 AM      Profile for Alan Gouger   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Gouger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is Roberts obituary.

http://romesentinel.com/news?newsid=20130322-142206

Paul Gordon
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2013 08:43 AM      Profile for Paul Gordon   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Gordon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is truly sad. I met Robert when he came up to Ottawa for the 70mm film festival in 2010 that we were hosting. We had a great time.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 03-23-2013 10:16 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been out of circulation for a few days, and so have only just read this.

Very sad news; my thoughts are with Robert's family at this time.

Jeffry L. Johnson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2013 12:41 PM      Profile for Jeffry L. Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeffry L. Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sad indeed. We met at an IMAX projectionist training seminar at IMAX, Sheridan Park, Mississauga, Ontario, in 1999 September.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 03-25-2013 12:10 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very sorry to hear this. I never had the privilege of meeting Mr. Throop, but would always click on a thread straightaway where his name appeared as the OP or last poster. My condolances to his family and friends.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: