Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Roger Ebert Dead at 70 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Roger Ebert Dead at 70
Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 04-04-2013 02:42 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://variety.com/2013/film/news/roger-ebert-dies-at-70-1200333136/
quote:
Film critic Roger Ebert was not only the first film critic to win a Pulitzer Prize, but one of the only critics known to the general public, thanks to his long-running movie review shows such as “Sneak Previews” and his thumbs-up or down movie reviews. He died Thursday of complications from cancer, according to the Chicago Sun-Times. He was 70.

The avuncular champion of movies big and small had been fighting thyroid cancer since 2002, and in the past few years spoke with a voice machine. The latest show to bear his name is the PBS series “Roger Ebert Presents at the Movies,” in which he briefly appears on camera with a prosthetic chin though other critics shoulder reviewing duties.

|  IP: Logged

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 04-04-2013 02:54 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
R.I.P. Mr. Ebert.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-04-2013 03:13 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He hated In N Out and thought Steak and Shake was the greatest thing since sliced bread. I also rarely agreed with his opinions on films. Am I the only one unfazed by this?

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 04-04-2013 03:13 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Roger Ebert was a childhood inspiration to me. [thumbsup]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-04-2013 03:15 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He was full of piss and vinegar when he reviewed movies he didn't like. He went apeshit about Kick Ass. Saw him a few times at Telluride. Didn't bother to talk with him.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 04-04-2013 03:23 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Chicago Sun Times Ebert page seems to have crashed. I was going to link to his post from yesterday saying he was going to take a leave from reviewing and just review the movies he wanted to, and was about to launch a variety of of movie related web stuff.

Agree with him or not (and I thought he was generally too kind to dreck) he WAS influential, really loved movies, and seemed like a nice guy.

Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-04-2013 03:26 PM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Roger Ebert was one of the few people whose lives I wouldn't have minded having. Not only a great film writer, but a fine essayist, bon vivant, raconteur, and fellow Steak 'N Shake fan. Through his writing he turned me on to not only movies I would have otherwise missed, but many other wonderful things as well. By all accounts, a fan of great projection too. Too bad Steve Kraus doesn't come around here anymore, I'm sure he has some fond memories of him to relate.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-04-2013 03:40 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't always agree with him but loved reading his reviews. I got a very brief email from him once when I responded to one of his articles about the rating system.

He appeared with Gene Siskel at the first "ShoWest" I ever attended, in 1995, but that's as close as I ever got to him in person.

He truly will be missed, but I hope that some of the plans he outlined in his blog post yesterday will still go forward. He had talked about having other critics review movies on his site -- critics whose opinions he respected.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 04-04-2013 03:55 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sad. I didn't think Roger Ebert would be with us for very much longer. The news from the last couple or so days made the situation seem more grim. Still, I didn't expect him to pass away so soon after announcing his latest work hiatus.

I didn't always agree with Ebert's reviews, but I read his reviews more often than those of any other film critic. His "great movies" collection of reviews was interesting to read. I re-read his review of Schindler's List just the other day. My girlfriend had never seen the movie before. We watched it. I had to look up a few things about it from 1993 to see if memory served correct about some of the awards and praise it won.

Ebert's Little Movie Glossary was always fun to read. It listed many of the tired clichés and other odd things movies could do without. "Fallacy of the Predictable Tree" was one of my favorites.

quote: Roger Ebert's Little Movie Glossary
The logical error committed every time the good guy is able to predict exactly what the bad guy is going to do. For example, in FIRST BLOOD, law enforcement officials are searching the woods for John Rambo. A cop pauses under a tree. Rambo drops on him. Question: Out of all the trees in the forest, how did Rambo know which one the guy would pause under?
I thought about Steve Kraus when I saw the news Roger Ebert had passed. Steve is pretty active on Facebook.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 04-04-2013 04:02 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Ogden
Steve Kraus don't come around here anymore
Did Steve quit the biz?

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-04-2013 04:20 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve is still alive and well. Although he isn't around these parts much anymore.

When I visited his screening room, I got to sit in Roger's seat. For a guy that was so inspired by him, I felt honored to do that.

I'll miss his reviews, even if I didn't always agree.

AJG

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-04-2013 04:24 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I met him briefly a couple of times while working at Telluride.
I enjoyed the enthusiasm he displayed for films he liked
and also the way he'd go off on a rant overr films he hated
even if our opinions were often opposite.

RIP

(Don't these things happen in " 3's "?)

Edward Havens
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-04-2013 05:02 PM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Ken Lackner
Am I the only one unfazed by this?
No. I'm sure there are billions of people around the world who didn't know who Roger Ebert was, and I'm sure they would be as equally unfazed as you learning of his passing. But it is a pretty dick move to start pissing on his corpse while it's still warmish.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-04-2013 06:59 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very true. Dying turns anyone into a saint.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 04-04-2013 10:11 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ebert went through a lot. I am sympathetic for anyone who suffered so much over a long time. Now, maybe, at least he can taste the burger again. Louis

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: