Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Shake, rattle and roll..3.2 Quake near me...

Author Topic: Shake, rattle and roll..3.2 Quake near me...
Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 04-26-2013 10:49 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At 7:52pm a 3.2 quake hit about 3-4 miles from my palatial estate. Brief foreshock, then two sharp hits followed by more shaking. Really scared the cat and made my sound rack's rear door rattle.

Fun in So Cal!

Link to the USGS earthquake map: (This quake will be shown on the map for one week, then disappear except for the main page listing.)

USGS Quake map for my area

|  IP: Logged

William T. Parr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-26-2013 11:05 PM      Profile for William T. Parr   Email William T. Parr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Never a dull moment. Hope you did not get any damage to personal property there.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 04-26-2013 11:31 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope William, didn't even knock things off the shelf. I sent a text to my landlord about it and he responded with "Until it hits 5+ it's just teasing." [Big Grin]

This building was built in the late 30's / early 40's and reacts strangely to quakes. A year or so ago we had two centered within a mile and they felt literally like someone picked up the building about 3 feet and dropped it.

It has been a while since the Los Angeles area has had a sizable quake and many "experts" say we are overdue.

Unlike tornadoes or hurricanes, we have no warnings but also like those events there is little or nothing one can do about it.

Jeff Arellano
Film Handler

- posted 04-27-2013 01:52 AM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was at work and didn't feel it at all. Since I work close to Marina Del Rey (like 5 miles or so) I'm surprised I didn't.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-27-2013 09:56 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Those little shakers are always "fun". Last one we had up north here I was
just starting a film show at work. I couldn't figure out why the projector was
shaking. I thought I had some kind of major mechanical problem. Then I
looked over and saw the amp rack was shaking too. By the time I realized
what it was, it was over. But sometimes they're powerful enuf to trip the
failsafes.

I live in a part of San Francisco called "The Richmond District".
Out here, we judge quake intensity not by the Richter sale, but by the
"Richmond scale- which is the number of BMW car alarms that get set off
by the quake. Beleive it or not, it's pretty accurate!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: