Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Happy 65th Anniversary Paramount Decision

Author Topic: Happy 65th Anniversary Paramount Decision
Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 05-01-2013 03:45 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not much new for anyone here, just thought it would be nice to acknowledge:
http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/ten-miles-square/2013/05/how_a_landmark_antitrust_case044475.php

quote:
May 01, 2013 11:07 AM
How a Landmark Antitrust Case Changed the Movies
By Keith Humphreys

The marked decline in Hollywood’s fortunes in the 1950s and early 1960s (before Scorsese, Coppola, Evans et al saved the day) is usually attributed to the increasing availability of televisions in American homes. This was no doubt a factor, but equally important was a Supreme Court decision made 65 years ago this week: United States v. Paramount Pictures. The impact of this antitrust ruling was enormous both for the artistic content of studio movies and for the economic shape of the film industry.

Understanding the case requires an appreciation of the vertical integration of Hollywood’s business prior to the war. You may have noticed that many cities and towns have cinemas with names like “The Paramount”, “The Detroit Fox Theater” and “Warner” (including the hometown theater where I happily misspent a non-negligible portion of my West Virginia childhood). Those theater names are a legacy of the era in which the five major film studios owned the bulk of movie houses in the U.S.

Owning the theaters in which their movies played gave the big studios an extraordinary financial advantage in distribution, which they leveraged further by forcing independently-owned theaters to “block book” their products. If you wanted to show the hot new Bogart picture Casablanca in your independently-owned theater, you were strong-armed into also showing some Warner Brothers-made newsreels, short subjects and probably a low-budget second feature as well. And if you were an independent film producer looking for an audience, you pretty much had to go on your knees before the major studios to gain access to their theaters. The SCOTUS Justices knew an antitrust violation when they saw it, and their 1948 decision in the Paramount Pictures case forced the studios to give up ownership of theaters.

The artistic impact of the high court’s decision is not fully appreciated, even by film buffs. In the old business model, studios had regionalized audiences, which influenced their film production choices. In trying to explain why Broadway style musicals and cosmopolitan comedies were staples at MGM/Loews studio but not at 20th Century Fox for example, you need look no further than where their respective theaters were located: The former were concentrated in New York City and other parts of the Northeast, the latter were mostly further west, often in more rural areas.

Shorn of regionalized audiences, all the studios began playing a national game of pursuing audiences and lost their distinctive artistic approaches. Their products became more homogenized as a consequence.

Economically, the Paramount Pictures decision helped create what my pals Robert Frank and Phil Cook term a “Winner-Take-All-Market” in the movie industry. In the old system, all the studios could ensure at least some ticket sales by putting their own films into their own theaters. As theaters became free entities, competition was nationalized with no floor under what amount any studio might make and not much of a ceiling on what they might realize either.

Funnily enough, it was Paramount that first grasped the implications of the new market when it released The Godfather in a then shocking 400 screens nationwide. Soon afterward, Jaws tripled the size of that release. Both films made money hand over fist, and the blockbuster film era had truly arrived. From then on, a small number of films would make extraordinary profits, whereas the great bulk of films would make little or no money at all.

|  IP: Logged

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 05-01-2013 04:55 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It can't be long before the centenary of the MPPC being broken up, either.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-01-2013 06:30 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...and yet, what has the "digital cinema revoloution" done but give TOTAL
control of the exhibition end of the business back to the studios & distributors
in a way that writers of the original legal opnion could never have even imagined.

Face it- - they now OWN you. 7 or 8 years ago when this whole nonsense started I
was screaming that there should have been lawyers all over this digital conversion crap.

I still say this whole digital debacle was driven mainly by greed, collusion and conspiracy
among the studios, distributors and equipment vendors.

(Now excuse me while I straighten out the point on my tin-foil hat)

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 05-01-2013 07:45 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
btw:The guy who worked for the Justice Dept. on the Consent Decree was Sumner Redstone.

(He now owns Viacom which owns Paramount and a lot of other stuff.) Louis

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 05-01-2013 08:08 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jim Cassedy
Face it- - they now OWN you. 7 or 8 years ago when this whole nonsense started I was screaming that there should have been lawyers all over this digital conversion crap.

The fact DCI was a collusion between the big studios and the big exhibitors should have brought about Paramount 2: The Independents Bloody Revenge. But their lawyers are bigger than our lawyers, so it is never going to happen.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 05-02-2013 01:51 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A few years ago I did some research on the Paramount Consent Decrees and was very surprised that even though the Decrees seemed to be written specifically to protect exhibition and especially the smaller exhibitor (of which there were MANY more than today), you can read court case after court case where exhibitors took a studio to task based on these anti-trust decrees and in the majority of the cases, most of which in my lay opinion seemed pretty clear-cut were violations of the decrees and should have been won handily by the exhibitor, the courts in Hollywood sided with the studios; the exhibitors lost in the majority of the cases. The studios pretty much still ruled the roost inspite of those laws on the books. At least that was my impression.

Usually it was the smaller exhibitor that needed the decrees for protection, but as is the case many times, the power brokers somehow seem to still come out on top.

In today's climate of conglomerates gobbling up each other and changing hands on what seems like a daily basis, anti-trust does not seem like a top priority of the Justice Department, IMHO.

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-02-2013 02:29 PM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Louis: I built a 16 for Sumner Redstone (well actually his daughter Sherry (80 days from ground breaking to opening), and if my quality upgringing didn't preclude such language I'd say that he was an, well I won't say it! But then I tend to say that about most 80 year old millionaires who are caught jumping out of thir girlfriend's fire escapes onto the balcony at 2 in the morning. True

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 05-02-2013 09:30 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jeff; I remember you. You are not incorrect about the Copley incident!

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 05-02-2013 11:12 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Was he really 80 when this happened? I thought it was earlier.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: