Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Internet/provider problems

Author Topic: Internet/provider problems
Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-02-2013 02:32 PM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pictures first:
When I open Opera I get this-
 -

When I click on any window I get this-

-

Evidently Time Warner and Insight merged. My problems just started yesterday and luckily I don't sign off of Film-Tech and my computer stays on 24/7. Now any other site I go to redirects me to TWC e-mail sign up page, even Time Warner which I assume is TWC.com. I tried calling Insight (old?) provider and get put on hold. After about 30 minutes I just hang up. I cycled the power on the modem and still get the same shit.

Done ranting,
Thanks, Rick.

|  IP: Logged

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 05-02-2013 04:09 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It looks like they want you to read and agree to their subscriber policy before you can do anything.

What happens if you click "next" on that screen?

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-02-2013 04:38 PM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to agree to this

and this

If I select disagree, it sends me back to the original registration page.

Edward Havens
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-02-2013 04:41 PM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wouldn't it be "simpler" (realizing it's TWC) to just call them and ask them "WTF"?

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 05-02-2013 05:24 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If there are things in that small print you have a problem with, would it be possible simply to jump ship to another ISP?

I appreciate that the answer to that question might be no - my fiancee went through this last summer when AT&T (a-holes through and through, we christened them) announced that their bogstandard DSL service was ending, and a new router box for their 'Univers' service arrived on the doorstep one day. After a bit of digging online we established that this is basically a very high speed DSL setup that works by reducing the distances from the home to the nearest repeater box, and that AT&T were forcibly converting entire neighbourhoods to in order to facilitate the launch of their TV through IP service. Even if you don't want TV from them, you still had to go through the faff of installing the new router box. The real kicker was that they are the only landline phone/DSL provider serving that neighbourhood, with the result that you have no other choice (besides getting cable TV and your internet through that) than to suck it up. By the time I'd got the thing up and running (not major engineering challenges - just minor irritants like needing an ethernet cable to do the initial setup, not having one and needing to trek out to Home Depot to get one), that was three hours of my life gone that I had better things in mind for. Oh well.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 05-02-2013 07:53 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess that you have to agree to their terms of service before using their service. On it's face, that's neither surprising or unexpected.

I can't read their terms of service -- the links that you provided tell me that I am not using a computer that's connected to their service, so I have no idea how reasonable or otherwise their terms actually are. However, your options are to agree to their terms of service (and adhere to them) or get your service elsewhere.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: