Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » First Run Films In Your Home Theatre (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: First Run Films In Your Home Theatre
Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2013 08:51 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The link below is to a company providing a home HD server and access to first run films in the same window they are playing in theatres.

Prima Cinema

While this is undoubtedly an expensive toy, that they will only install for those who have expensive qualifying home theatres, it is yet a another crack in the theatrical window.

|  IP: Logged

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 05-06-2013 10:05 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At $500/screening and $35k for the player, it doesn't strike me as being much of a threat to movie theatres.

I assume that the intended market would be well-to-do "celebrities" in non-film-related industries (sports stars, etc.) who feel uncomfortable going to public theatres. I can sort of see the attraction for them (as, presumably, they do not want to get mobbed when they are recognized in public), but they are also probably not attending commercial movies in theatres, anyway.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 05-06-2013 05:53 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The PRIMA Cinema Player outputs movies over HDMI, and will interface directly with practically all modern video projectors & HDTVs and audio receivers & processors. Integration with your home automation system is through your home’s IP network and plug-ins for the automation system. Authorised PRIMA Cinema Dealers conduct a site survey of your home theater to verify compatibility and determine any upgrades if needed.
Sounds like a big hole in the whole "chain of trust" here if the only thing that's protecting the studios precious content is HDCP [Wink]

At this moment, their movie library seems a bit locked into Universal-only releases (which is notably a major investor into this thing).

Mark Hajducki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2013 06:02 PM      Profile for Mark Hajducki   Email Mark Hajducki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There could still be digital watermarking/dCrAP. At $500 per time they could encode a special watermarked edition for each user (at the server end).

Frank B. McLaughlin
Film Handler

- posted 05-07-2013 06:48 AM      Profile for Frank B. McLaughlin   Author's Homepage   Email Frank B. McLaughlin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
$500 today - $50 tomorrow! Price and volume are ALWAYS related.

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-07-2013 08:46 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
> $500 today - $50 tomorrow! Price and volume are ALWAYS related.

That is my point. While this is not really a threat to theatres, over time it will be. Not so much the technology, but the concept. It is the first crack in what was a bullet proof window.

I remember in the late 1990's going to Sears to look at the first 45" plasma flat screen tv. It had a price of over $10K. A decade later they were selling for $500.

Ron Yost
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-07-2013 11:31 AM      Profile for Ron Yost   Email Ron Yost   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if this is an offshoot/expansion of the Bel Air Circuit?

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 05-07-2013 01:36 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's exactly what it is. The 'Bel Air' circuit's existence all these years has never hurt the exhibition business.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 05-07-2013 05:39 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Hajducki
There could still be digital watermarking/dCrAP. At $500 per time they could encode a special watermarked edition for each user (at the server end).
Agreed - HDCP is the new incarnation of CSS - no more than a minor irritant to those who want to defeat it. I can't believe that anyone in their right mind would rely on that alone to prevent piracy, either. The bespoke file approach makes sense, especially given that the likely customer base for this service consists of seriously wealthy consumers, who at the very least would be capable of paying a massive fine, and may well have reputations at stake as well if they're identified as the source of pirated versions.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 05-08-2013 03:42 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't it merely similar, but unrelated, to the Bel Air Circuit?

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-08-2013 06:02 AM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't this basically the digital version of the uber rich people that used to get 35mm prints in their private theatres during first run in the past?

I can't remember who it was but back 20 years ago (wow I'm getting old), the projectionist at the theatre I worked at used to go to West Palm Beach every so often to run first run film for a multi-millionaire. He paid a few hundred dollars for the print rental.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 05-08-2013 06:27 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Lyle Romer
Isn't this basically the digital version of the uber rich people that used to get 35mm prints in their private theatres during first run in the past?
Yes, but it looks like they're trying to grow that market by cutting out the need to install professional cinema equipment. From the stuff on their website, it looks like their player simply connects to whatever video and audio technology you have in your home - anything with an HDMI socket, basically. So if you don't really care about the picture and sound quality but just want the kudos of being able to see newly released blockbusters in your living room, your 40" flat screen from Target will do just fine.

Previously, you needed (a) a 35mm installation, which in turn meant serious architectural modifications to your house, (b) contacts and relationships with distributors in order to rent prints, and (c) to hire a projectionist. With this system, A and C are not needed, and it looks like the company are packaging B along with their player.

I'm guessing that their target customer is seriously rich and might want this as a status symbol, but is not necessarily a committed cinema enthusiast. I can't see it making much of an impact on the theatre business, though: anyone who is able and willing to pay $500 to see a single movie in their home is unlikely to be a regular customer at their local strip mall 12-plex in any event.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 05-08-2013 07:02 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My understanding is that the Bel-Air circuit requires connections to the motion-picture industry (and print rental is free, though presumably shipping is the responsibility of the user, as is the hiring of a projectionist), while this is available for "anyone" (with a spare $35k) to buy.

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-12-2013 02:16 AM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First heard about this near April 1st, so thought it was an April Fool's joke.

Mark Strube
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-12-2013 01:48 PM      Profile for Mark Strube   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Strube   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HDCP has been long cracked. So there's that.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: