Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Today's Google Doodle. (Saul Bass)

Author Topic: Today's Google Doodle. (Saul Bass)
Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 05-08-2013 04:04 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned today's Google Doodle, for the 93rd birthday of Saul Bass. Unfortunately, I don't think there's any way to save a copy of the animated ones, like today's. Does Google have an archive of them available somewhere?

|  IP: Logged

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-08-2013 04:16 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Google Doodle Archive, for your entertainment.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 05-08-2013 04:54 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Mitchell.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 05-09-2013 09:41 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saul Bass is arguably the most influential movie title designer. I don't think it is as much for his visual style, which seemed very inspired by artists such as Henri Matisse, but more for how he broke movie title design out of a very conventional, stale school of thought into a much more creative, dramatic space.

Let's also not forget Saul Bass was one of the most accomplished logo designers ever. He came up with the AT&T bell logo and its "death star" globe replacement. He did logos for United Airlines, Quaker, the United Way, Dixie, Continental Airlines, the Girl Scouts, Warner Bros., Alcoa, Minolta and many others.

One could take a look at these logos and deliver the predictably ignorant response, "aw my kid to do one of those in 5 minutes." No. Not really. Those logos are simple, but only deceptively so. They go through many cycles of revisions, often with other non-artists trying to add in other extraneous shit that doesn't belong.

It's actually far easier to create a complicated, jumbled looking logo than it is to make a simple one (particularly a simple brand mark that hasn't already existed in some way). The non-designer committee forces the logo to include the address, phone number, a group photo, a map where the treasure in It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World is hidden and anything else they haven't forgotten. Nevermind the "logo" or whatever you want to call it is only legible when blown up to cover half a letter sized piece of paper.

Simple brand marks like those created by Saul Bass can literally be reduced to the size of a 10 point letter on a page and still be readable. They're legible on a sign seen from a good distance. They're the real definition of what a logo should be.

I think Saul Bass' work is becoming a little more popular now due to certain areas of the graphic design field embracing what's being called "flat design." Previously "skeuomorphism" was popular -web page buttons and other computer interface features imitating the look of glass, wood and lots of other real world materials. That stuff gets in the way of legibility on small devices like mobile phones. Various companies are working to simplify their brand marks and other things that appear in electronic form. They're getting rid of glassy effects, excess gradients and other embellishments in order to arrive at something more pure and simple.

Rumor has it Apple is doing a lot of radical re-design work with Mac OSX and iOS. The interfaces in both represent the extremes in skeuomorphism. The look was very slick when it was introduced over a decade ago. But now it's looking dated. Microsoft's Windows 8 release has been largely maligned for the functional changes made in the OS, but the company has received much more in the way of compliments for its visual design.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: