Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Where does HASH TAG come from? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Where does HASH TAG come from?
Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 05-09-2013 09:54 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From whence comes this "new" word called hashtag and why did we need new terminology for something that's been around for eons? It's had its own button on the telephone for ages and longer than that, its been married to the number 3 on hundreds of millions of typewriters, but all of a sudden, evidently we go mute when confronted with the need to verbalize what that thing is on top of the 3 key! Up until twitter, did everyone have to start miming in order to communicate what we were looking? We had no word for it for over a century and just now some idiot (at a company that named itself twitter mind you), felt compelled to come up with new nomenclature for it? And so, scratching his head and his ass at the same time, he came up with hashtag...that was the best he could do?

Does anyone know the backstory to this, or it is just the arrogance of the cyber geeks who think, "Hey, we are creating a nonsense "social media" that no one needs and we'll be making making umpteen millions of dollars in the process, so we can make up any damn words we want." Yah...THAT kind of arrogance.

Just wondering.

|  IP: Logged

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-09-2013 10:22 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to Wikipedia, 'hashtag' is not actually the new name for the familiar #, rather it is the term for the phrase it precedes:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hashtag
quote:
A hashtag is a word or a phrase prefixed with the symbol #,[1][2] a form of metadata tag. Short messages on microblogging social networking services such as Twitter, Tout, identi.ca, Tumblr, Instagram, or Google+ may be tagged by including one or more with multiple words concatenated, e.g.:

#Wikipedia is an #encyclopedia

Hashtags provide a means of grouping such messages, since one can search for the hashtag and get the set of messages that contain it.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-10-2013 12:26 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That might be true, but thanks to: (1) people being stupid; (2) movies like "Olympus Has Fallen" referring to the symbol as a 'hashtag,' and (3) the symbol itself slightly resembling the letter H, we're probably eventually going to be stuck with it being called that.

It'll always be a "pound sign" to me -- but this is coming from a person who still refers to going upstairs and turning on the digital projector equipment as "threading." Old habits do indeed die hard.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 05-10-2013 01:28 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always called it the "number sign," although "octothorpe" has a nice ring to it as well. "Hash" is another somewhat long-standing term for the symbol. It is not a new creation.

This is sort of like how the "*" symbol is known variously as the "star," "splat," "sextile," or "asterisk." Same thing, different terms.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 05-10-2013 02:04 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been used to calling the # symbol just "hash" (or sometimes "pound sign") and the * symbol "asterisk". Hashtag is the actual tag, as introduced by twitter, it is NOT the symbol #...

Jarod Reddig
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-10-2013 03:55 AM      Profile for Jarod Reddig   Email Jarod Reddig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ive always thought of it as the number sign too.

Christos Mitsakis
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-10-2013 05:06 AM      Profile for Christos Mitsakis   Email Christos Mitsakis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is also called the "sharp" (diese) symbol, a term borrowed from the same symbol of music notation.

C.

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-10-2013 09:50 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always called it the tick-tac-toe sign.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 05-10-2013 10:10 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it depends on the function of the symbol.

When I worked at Pan Am, we used it as a "pound" symbol to denote weight.

If I'm referring to, say, a surround speaker, I might use it as the "number" sign -- as in surround speaker #2.

IIRC, in HTML code, it denotes a section of a page.

And then there is the "hashtag" function.

So, if you're talking about a hashtag and you insist on calling it the "pound" symbol, you're just being wrong.

Same thing if someone came to me and said, "I believe surround speaker hashtag 2 is busted."

Or if I told the captain of a 747 that he had 180 "numbers" of cargo in hold "hashtag" one. That would be VERY wrong.

And, yes, there's also the musical function to denote sharps.

But that's just my rotten opinion.

As for "splat", the kids at USC used that term to refer to the "Command" key on Mac computers.

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-10-2013 10:52 AM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always called it the number sign. Then people started calling it the pound sign. Now "hashtag"? The English language (American version)is getting away from me. And I don't think it's just because I failed English in the 8th grade. In spite of that I spent 28 years as a radio broadcaster. Go figure.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-10-2013 12:06 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't "hash" a computer programming term for managing data? I think that's probably where the "hashtag" term originated.

I totally forgot about # being the "number" sign.

I guess it's no different from "-" being called a minus, a dash, and a hyphen (and yes, I know there are ASCII characters for all three, but you get my drift).

At least everybody would probably agree that " is a quote mark! [Smile]

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 05-10-2013 12:14 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, " is an "inch mark," used to designate measurement, or a "second mark," used to designate time. Proper quotation marks are curled to indicate the beginning and end of the quoted text.

[Smile]

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 05-10-2013 12:27 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it annoys me only because twitter tweeters use and think it makes them cool. Not to mention I reeeeally don't like twitter to the nth degree...and there's another one for ya! [Razz]

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 05-10-2013 02:10 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I live in a college town, so I'm surrounded by young people. They actually SAY "hashtag" to each other in conversation.

For example, little Johnny says something like, "Thomas is looking mighty hot today."

And then, his pal Frankie might reply with, "Dude! Hashtag gay!"

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 05-10-2013 03:17 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And another term I've heard for the asterisk... "Butthole". [Roll Eyes]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: