Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » RIP: James Gandolfini (Tony Soprano) 51

Author Topic: RIP: James Gandolfini (Tony Soprano) 51
Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-19-2013 07:14 PM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Terrible news for TV fans: James Gandolfini, who played mobster Tony Soprano on HBO's seminal drama "The Sopranos," died suddenly today at the age of 51, Variety is reporting.

Gandolfini was traveling in Italy on vacation when he fell ill; various reports have him suffering a heart attack and a stroke. He is survived by his wife, Deborah Lin, and a son, Michael, from a previous marriage.

He won three Emmys and one Golden Globe for his performance as Tony Soprano on the HBO drama, a conflicted, sometimes villainous role that launched the current wave of TV antiheroes. "The Sopranos" remains HBO's highest-rated series ever, with 13.4 million viewers tuning in for the Season 4 premiere in 2002.

In addition to "The Sopranos," Gandolfini appeared in dozens of movies, including memorable supporting turns in "True Romance," "Get Shorty," and last year's "Zero Dark Thirty."

|  IP: Logged

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 06-20-2013 12:54 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember the first time I saw James Gandolfini in a movie, 20 years ago playing a hit man named Virgil in True Romance. He showed up to beat the living hell out of Patricia Arquette's character and then goofed up and got killed. I remember the scene being particularly brutal.

Tony Scott brought back Gandolfini 2 years later for Crimson Tide.

I think those two small roles helped set the stage for Gandolfini to win the role of Tony Soprano.

It's pretty shocking for an actor as successful as James Gandolfini to die at such a relatively young age. Granted, people die of heart attacks all the time and in a widening range of age groups. My cousin Tammy's first husband died of a heart attack at age 29. But he was a really overweight guy with a variety of health problems. Gandolfini was fairly overweight too, but given he was probably very well off financially and able to afford seeing a doctor on a regular basis, I'm surprised his death wasn't prevented. Pretty sad. His passing makes me think of friends and family members with considerable health risks, obesity being the most common one.

Well, so much for any hope of a Sopranos reunion on HBO.
[Frown]

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2013 07:58 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He also had a history of drug and alcohol abuse, but seems to have been clean in recent times. TMZ had a pic of him which supposedly is his last pic, and he seems really bloated compared to another picture of him taken a few weeks ago at a tattoo parlor.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: