Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » So how many hours do you spend in traffic each week? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: So how many hours do you spend in traffic each week?
Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-20-2013 08:19 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just curious. Not long ago over 6 hours per week of my life were irrecoverably wasted in traffic. Nowadays it is closer to 1-2 hours a week. How many hours per week do YOU figure you waste away forever in traffic?

|  IP: Logged

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 06-20-2013 09:13 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Almost none at the moment. I commute to my current job by train or (occasionally) bus and only drive when I want to get somewhere else. Commuting time for me is about 25 min. each way, five times per week, for a total of 250 minutes per week.

I don't really think of driving time as being wasted time--when I drove to work, it gave me a good chance to think and to listen to news on the radio. I am much less in touch with current events now that I rarely drive, for better or worse.

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2013 09:21 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Absolutely none. But then I live in a town of 3600. However, I assume the question is directed at those stuck in large metro areas. But there is life outside the large metro areas.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 06-20-2013 10:28 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with you, Robert. I live in a town of 5000 people, in an apartment behind the screen in my theatre. So my commute to work literally consists of walking through a door. Plus I live "downtown", so all of the stores, banks and whatnot are within a three block radius of the theatre.

I rarely drive unless I'm (a) going out of town, or (b) have a big stack of freight to pick up at the bus depot. Neither occurs very frequently.

Living in the theatre is very convenient since I would otherwise be spending a lot of time here waiting around for couriers, the Pepsi truck, you-name-it. This way I just get on with my day and when someone shows up they either call my office number or ring the doorbell.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-20-2013 11:17 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If everything goes well (no trains on the tracks, no idiots driving 10mph in front of me, etc.) I can get from home to my day job in about 3 minutes.

Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-21-2013 05:53 AM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And now, the other end of the spectrum: from my home in New Jersey to my office on West 57th Street in Manhattan is about 18 miles one-way. Depending on weather and road construction the drive takes anywhere from 25 minutes to 3 hours. On average, to drive in the morning takes about 90 minutes, and probably an hour going home. The exception is Friday, when the drive home is about 90 minutes to two hours because of everybody headed out of the city for the weekend. I like to drive because of the flexibility, I don't like to be a slave to the train/bus schedules, but if I took mass transit I could possibly shave 15 minutes or so from that. On days like Rosh Hashanah or when the holiday shopping season starts, that's what I do, because driving and parking become almost unbearable.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 06-21-2013 07:43 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My commute time is about 6 minutes if I take I-44. It might be closer to 10 minutes if I take the stop & go route through town. It takes me about 15 minutes to get to my girlfriend's house on the east side of town.

Contrast that with my commute when I was going to School of Visual Arts in New York: 3 hours each day. 30 minutes on the S2 bus from Fort Wadsworth to Richmond Terrace & the Staten Island Ferry terminal. Another 30 minutes riding the ferry. And then another 30 minutes riding the subway from South Ferry/Battery Park to 23rd Street in Manhattan. 90 minutes each way Ugh. If I timed it just right I could take a city bus across the Verazzano Narrows Bridge into Bay Ridge Brooklyn and transfer to the R-train. Sometimes that would cut off 20 minutes of commute time, but depending on subway operations it could actually cost me more time.

Living in a smaller city/town does have some perks.

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-21-2013 08:48 AM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It takes me about 5-7 minutes to get from my place downtown to the university. Traffic isn't usually bad when I'm heading in, unless it's a football gameday or commencement weekend.

AJG

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 06-21-2013 09:12 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
About an hour in each direction, door to door, for the 26.2 mile-commute from York to Leeds. As I usually work from home on one day a week, that's about eight hours a week commuting. The morning trip I don't mind, because I do it before the rush hour, traffic is pretty light, I can listen to the Today programme and generally get my head straight. But the return trip is not pleasant: heavier traffic and at the end of a long day, when you just want to get home and wind down. Also, the main road linking the two cities, the A64, now carries a lot more traffic than it was designed to, with the result that one minor accident can extend the journey by hours. My record is 4 hours and 27 minutes for a single trip, on 1 December 2009. It suddenly started snowing like buggery around lunchtime (unpredicted: snow had not been forecast north of the Midlands), with the result that the entire workforce of Leeds got straight in their cars in an attempt to get home before it got bad. When I set off 3-4 hours later, all went well until a four-mile single carriageway section of the A64 just beyond the eastern outskirts of the city, when I ended up behind an accident (a lorry had skidded, overturned then been hit by multiple cars from both directions, completely blocking the road), and sat shivering in a stationary car for three hours until the police had cleared the wreckage. By that time there was a lot of snow on the road, and it was a second-gear crawl (passing dozens of broken down cars on the way) all the way home. Not fun.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 06-21-2013 09:53 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It would take serious work for me to get used to driving in the UK. The streets appear more narrow and buildings are often positioned pretty close to the road. Not many of the super highways there are built wide with many lanes like you'll see in some American and Canadian cities. Traffic snarls are more likely to happen. Top that off with higher fuel costs, increasing the expense of being stuck in a traffic jam.

Oh, and there's that whole driving on the left side of the road thing!

Back to my earlier post about commuting in New York, I wasn't sure if I was remembering the bus numbers on the routes I took for my commute back and forth to college. I pulled up a current MTA bus map for Staten Island. The numbers are all different!

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 06-21-2013 10:54 AM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My eight mile commute is about 15-20 minutes each way. I take a mainline US highway in, but rural 2-lane blacktop home. Doesn't really save time, but it's far less stressful.

If I REALLY want to avoid traffic, there's a route I can take that's largely dirt roads too.

So...3, 3 1/2 hours per week or so.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-21-2013 12:37 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Zero- Most of my assignments are within walking distance or a short city bus ride
from my house. Even if I decided to drive- I'd spend more time looking for parking
than it would take for me to get to the location. Or I'd have to pay for parking.
(and in most parts of the country you could rent a small apartment for
what it costs to pay for parking in San Francisco)

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 06-21-2013 01:38 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
It would take serious work for me to get used to driving in the UK. The streets appear more narrow and buildings are often positioned pretty close to the road. Not many of the super highways there are built wide with many lanes like you'll see in some American and Canadian cities. Traffic snarls are more likely to happen. Top that off with higher fuel costs, increasing the expense of being stuck in a traffic jam.
Maybe Southern California is not typical of the rest of the United States, but I've driven there quite a bit now, and would say that traffic congestion is a broadly similar problem there and in most English cities. Driving out of LA on the I-10 in the rush hour is a similar experience to driving out of London on the M1: slow and frustrating! You're right: inner-city and suburban roads usually only have one lane in each direction, apart from major trunk roads, but there tends to be more public transport use, and so you don't have the same number of cars trying to use them.

As for the fuel cost, in terms of pence or cents per mile driven, I don't think there's much difference. European cars tend to have smaller, higher compression engines and manual transmissions, and therefore are more fuel-efficient, and the fuel itself is higher octane (95 RON is standard in most of Europe, with 98 as 'super'). High efficiency Diesel engines are a lot more common in cars, too. So the cars drink less (a typical modern family saloon or hatchback would get 45-50 miles to the US gallon), but the fuel itself is taxed up the wazoo (roughly $8-9 per US gallon in the UK). In the US, cars tend to be less efficient and Diesel-powered cars are very unusual, but the fuel itself is cheaper. My 2001 Ford Fiesta here (1.25 litre, four-cylinder engine) consumes around £32-33 worth to do 300 miles or so, whereas my fiancee's 1999 Honda Civic (1.6 litre, four-cylinder engine) in California drinks about $40-43 worth to cover the same distance. OK, the cars aren't directly comparable (the Civic is probably about a third larger and heavier), but the price difference isn't that big.

quote: Bobby Henderson
Oh, and there's that whole driving on the left side of the road thing!
I've never had a problem changing the side of the road on which I drive, unless the steering wheel side of the car is 'wrong'. I once took my own car through the tunnel to France, and that was really stressful, because if you're driving on the right and the driver's side of the car is also on the right, you're nearest the kerb, with limited visibility and having to rely on your offside wing mirror a lot. I actually find it a lot more stressful as a pedestrian than as a driver in countries that drive on the right, because I'm instinctively looking in the wrong direction before starting to cross a road!

The things that took some getting used to about US driving for me were big intersections instead of roundabouts, stop sign etiquette, 'right on red' and automatic transmissions, which I still don't like.

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-21-2013 01:47 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My daily commute is 15 mins each way 7 days a week right now. When I lived in Newburgh NY and worked at the School of Visual Arts in Manhattan my commute could be 1.5 hours or 4 hours depending on the traffic if I drove. Luckily the metro north rail road is one of the best passenger rail roads in the country for frequency and on time service. An afternoon "super express" from Grand Central first stop Beacon (my stop) only took 70 minutes.

Louie Gonsalves
Film Handler

- posted 06-21-2013 01:56 PM      Profile for Louie Gonsalves   Email Louie Gonsalves   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
10 hours per week, and that's a good week. Bad weeks can add 5 more hours per week.

At least I have a job.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: