Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » New to Houston, TX

Author Topic: New to Houston, TX
Frank Bruno
Film Handler

- posted 06-29-2013 09:04 PM      Profile for Frank Bruno   Email Frank Bruno   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Normally I wouldn't do this, but I'm bored & I don't know anybody here. Since I thought FT has a healthy Texan contingent, I thought I'd say hi and ask for new in town advice. At the very least, somebody can tell me the theaters in Houston I have to check out, or at least about other stuff to do or things to be warned about (I'm already aware that it's hot.) I'm told I'm off the Heights, but I think I'm in Lazybrook.

Normally I wouldn't advertise my plans, but I'll probably be seeing the movie Berberian Sound Studio over at Drafthouse Mason Park tonight at 1045, and maybe doing a cheap Man of Steel matinee somewhere tomorrow. If I'm on your turf, say hi.

|  IP: Logged

Allan Young
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2013 07:59 AM      Profile for Allan Young   Email Allan Young   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
River Oaks Theatre is a nice old art deco repertory place. Unfortunately the balcony has been split into two small screens but the main downstairs screen is a decent size.

Sundance downtown has large comfortable reserved seating and does parking validation. I'm not a fan of the trend for eating entire meals in a cinema which puts me off going there too often, but as you're happy to go to the Drafthouse I guess this won't trouble you.

The Silverado at Tomball has a D-Box screen. It's a bit of a drive but it's worth catching a big dumb action movie there.

Unfortunately the Edwards IMAX on the I-10 went digital a few months ago or I'd have recommended catching Man Of Steel there.

Food recommendation - get yourself down to Killen's BBQ in Pearland on a weekend lunchtime. Order beef ribs and fatty brisket. Phenomenally good !

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 06-30-2013 03:18 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And for eatery style places, I had good experiences at the two Studio Movie Grill locations. Full disclosure: I used to work there.

And on food recommendations, if you like ethnic foods there are plenty of good places that make Salvadoran pupusas. And the Pho One on Westheimer & Wilcrest was always my go-to place for delicious Vietnamese stuff; I've never had as good a pho ap chao as that guy's.

Frank Bruno
Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2013 11:24 PM      Profile for Frank Bruno   Email Frank Bruno   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Allan- I have to admit that I'm not wild about the whole meals in theaters thing myself. It seems particularly weird considering their publicized anti-talking & texting stances. I do like the weird & gimmicky programming though; I went to see that movie because I was surprised to see it playing at all (I loved seeing one of my dearly beloved Cinemeccanicas in a movie.)I haven't been to an SMG or MovieTavern yet, & they appear to show some indie & rep stuff as well. I was in Pearland around lunchtime today, I wish I'd checked this thread first. The MegaMovies in East Brunswick NJ had D-Box (and Technicolor 35mm 3D) but I never got there to check them out.

Chris-looking forward to the SMGs & the pho & pupusas; I'm told those in NJ were both substandard.

Allan Young
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-01-2013 12:30 AM      Profile for Allan Young   Email Allan Young   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You might want to keep an eye on the listings for the AMC 30 on Dunvale too. It quite often screens arthouse/indie fare.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 07-01-2013 03:41 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Frank Bruno
Chris-looking forward to the SMGs & the pho & pupusas; I'm told those in NJ were both substandard.
Though, the dish I mentioned isn't "pho" per se (or not the kind you're thinking of at least). It's a pan-fried rice noodle dish.

And yes, the AMC on Dunvale plays all the mainstream and artsy stuff (even most of the Bollywoods, given some of their demographic). But of course, it's kind of expected that a 30-plex play all that stuff. And they also play screenings for Worldfest every spring. Things might've changed since I moved/worked there, but they used to have super-late shows on Thurs-Sat (last shows being at 12:45-1 am); if that's your thing, of course...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: