Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Fonts - expensive vs. cheap ones

Author Topic: Fonts - expensive vs. cheap ones
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-10-2013 05:49 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is really directed at Bobby Henderson but I thought it would make a good topic and will have information we can all use.

My question is, what's the deal with fonts? You can download jillions of them for free on the internet, and a lot of software programs like Photoshop come stuffed with hundreds of them.

So what are the differences between those font packages you pay hundreds of dollars for, the ones that come in software, and the freebies on the net? Is there any "pitfalls" to using any of the free ones? (I'm sure some of them come complete with fun spyware...)

About 25 years ago I bought a package of fonts from Parsons Technology, which was the company who made MoneyCounts, the first bookkeeping program I used. I still use those fonts -- lots of cool ones in there. I think I paid $49 for it.

Then a few years after that, and before the Internet was such a big deal, I bought this graphics program that had a "million graphics" in it (and it does....just about everything you could want). That package came with a thousand fonts as well, some of which I installed and they seem to work fine.

My point is, all of these fonts seem to work fine. They scale fine, they look good to my un-trained eyes....in fact I even used one of them to make a 10x3' banner for our county fair that I must say, turned out awesome.

So...Is there some great thing I'm missing out on by not having any of the multi-hundred-dollar font packages?

|  IP: Logged

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 07-10-2013 06:33 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of my "sidelines" is providing computer support and custom programming for a printing and publishing business, so I have bumped into this issue of fonts numerous times.

Some fonts are great and some are absolute crap. They may look fine on your computer screen but when you start doing things like rotating the pages and imposing them onto press plates things can go bad very quickly.

I wrote a custom imposition and RIP program for them that works with their press. It took me a couple of months on-and-off, mostly research and experimenting, but the end result works fine and cost them a lot less than the $100,000 that they would have paid for an off-the-shelf solution that does more-or-less the same thing.

But: The program doesn't work well with crappy fonts. Properly formed fonts are what the program expects and it works fine, but fonts sourced from "10,000 Fonts for $1.99" CD's and whatnot tend to cause problems ranging from missing elements on the plates to stuff that's magically moved, or occasionally the whole program crashing entirely.

You can occasionally get away with using a crappy-but-decent-looking font if you outline it, but it's usually way more trouble than it's worth (and might cost you a few wasted plates) to track it down, so the best advise remains, stay far away from crappy fonts.

The folks with the print shop have learned not to use crappy fonts, and I know a lot more about printing and presses than I would otherwise have needed to.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 07-10-2013 08:34 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's a number of reasons why some commercial fonts cost quite a lot of money versus the ones that are cheap or free.

Generally speaking, high priced commercial fonts are better drawn/digitized than the free fonts. Like Frank said, these better drawn letters will work more reliably on a variety of printers and image setters. There are certain guidelines with how vector-based art should be drawn when creating Postscript or TrueType vector based font outlines. If someone merely auto-traces some scans of letters he sketched and generates a font from that it could have technical problems when installed and used.

Commercially sold fonts typically have custom hinting for improved display on computer screens. They'll usually have a lot more built in kerning pairs. A kerning pair is data built into the font that tells any software using it how to space two specific characters together when certain letter pair combination occur, such as "VA" or "LT". A good font design program like Font Lab Studio might automatically get the spacing right on those pairs, but if the type design has some unusal features the designer might have to go back and tweak the results.

Most new fonts are being distributed in OpenType format. Free fonts usually have basic or even minimal character sets. I've seen many free fonts missing lower case letter assignments, missing certain punctuation marks and even missing numerals.

Many commercially sold Open Type fonts will have a full standard character set and also feature extended character sets to cover other features. These can include alternate versions of letters, ligatures (2 or 3 letters joined into a single character such as "fl" or "ffl"), small capital sets, fraction sets, other alphabets (Cyrillic, Greek, Hebrew, etc.) or other custom features. It usually takes a good graphics program like Adobe Illustrator or InDesign to utilize those extended features of OpenType.

It's also common for commercially sold typefaces to have numerous "weights." Regular, Italic, Bold and Bold-Italic are the basic weights and many freebie fonts don't even cover those. Many just have one single weight. A commercial type family may have dozens of weights ranging from hairline or ultra light to ultra bold or extra black. Some families, like Helvetica Neue or Proxima Nova, throw in naturally condensed, narrow, wide or extended versions in all those various light to very bold ranges.

Commercially sold fonts are usually more aesthetically pleasing. Most typefaces that are on the cutting edge of design trends cost quite a bit of money. Some companies or organizations will spend a lot of time and money developing a custom typeface family. Newspapers have done this, futzing over everything from legibility to ink use at different point sizes. More than a decade of research and testing went into the Clearview Highway type family which replaced the FHWA Series Gothic type family on highway signs in a couple dozen states over the past few years.

Ultimately though, commercial fonts cost a lot of money because too few individuals and businesses have an appreciation for type. A great type designer can easily spend years working his ass off creating a professional quality type family. He needs to get at least something for his efforts. Amortized out among a limited customer base it's easy for a commercially sold type family to cost hundreds of dollars or even more than $1000.

Unfortunately the high price of many commercial fonts will translate to sales only when a design client wants/needs a specific type family. Very few people are going to fork over $300-$1000 for a dozen or so fonts just because they love the design.

The MyFonts web site has been trying to get around that by offering introductory pricing specials on some new type families or running sales on other type families. Some of these discounts are pretty aggressive. We're talking 90% off in some cases. I've been jumping on a lot of those specials. It's a hell of a lot easier spending $20-$50 for a professional quality type family just for the look of it than spending 10 times as much. Maybe those specials will translate into a lot more customers and actually get more money into the pockets of type designers.

A couple free font web sites are pretty good. Font Squirrel has some good quality freebie fonts there. The League of Movable Type is a designer-driven shareware foundry. Hobbyists can download the fonts and pay whatever they can afford, even if it is zero. Commercial users are supposed to pay at least something.

Adobe is kind of an oddity. They do have a very good type foundry of their own and their fonts are typically very good. Over the years they've become more stingy on how many fonts they bundle into their creative applications. Rivals like CorelDRAW and Deneba Canvas have offered far more fonts, but not quite in the same level of quality as Adobe's. With the new Creative Cloud service Adobe is supposed to start allowing users of Illustrator, Photoshop, etc. to "sync" Typekit fonts into their computers and applications as part of their subscription. Adobe hasn't turned on that feature yet.

John Roddy
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-10-2013 08:49 PM      Profile for John Roddy   Author's Homepage   Email John Roddy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The difference between free and every level of paid is entirely dependent on what you plan to use it for. If all you're doing is typing a research paper for school or something, you don't need to shell out $800 for Super Sexy Sans Serif. Just using one of the system fonts is good enough. I, on the other hand, do a lot of comic lettering. That's such a specific application that it requires special fonts to get the best result. I have a lot of fonts thought I bought from Comicraft and Blambot, most of which cost me quite a pretty penny. But the ease of using them and guarantee that they have the characters & support I need make it all worthwhile.

Another thing to keep in mind is the license. You don't own any fonts that you didn't make yourself. You simply have permission from the creator to use it, and 99/100 times, it's gonna be limited to "free for personal use." This means that you can use the font however you want as long as you're not relying on it for major business purposes. For example, Blambot has a wide selection of free fonts, but if you want to use them with a comic published by a major publisher, you are expected to shell out some cash for them anyway.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-10-2013 08:57 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's the kerning that really gets me. On the free fonts you'll often (but not always) see what appears to be inconsistent spacing between letters in a word. That drives me nuts. There's no reason a free font can't be as technically good as a $637,264.99 font, though. But that doesn't mean that they are.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 07-11-2013 08:58 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: John Roddy
You simply have permission from the creator to use it, and 99/100 times, it's gonna be limited to "free for personal use." This means that you can use the font however you want as long as you're not relying on it for major business purposes.
Even with "business purposes" a commercial font license can be tricky. Typically the EULA will allow the font file to be installed on 1 personal computer and used for the kinds of graphics work that only a single computer would output. The font customer might have to fork over more money to use the typeface on a mass publication, such as a large newspaper, the opening titles or end credits on a movie, etc.

Adobe's Typekit service adds a little more confusion to licensing. Currently Typekit fonts can only be used in Adobe's web design applications that are capable of loading web fonts into layouts. There's a huge number of typeface choices, many of which are pretty expensive to buy on their own. At some point in the future (Adobe hasn't said when) 175 Typekit font families will be made available "to the desktop" as computer system fonts. Unfortunately you'll have to be connected to the Internet for the fonts to work and there are limitations on how they can be embedded in PDFs. They can't be "packaged" with design projects to send off to service bureaus for printing. I don't know why the Typekit desktop fonts aren't already available. I can only guess two possible reasons: 1. software issues, 2. legal issues. Typekit fonts come from at least a couple dozen type foundries. Adobe obviously has the largest collection of fonts hosted by Typekit, but they're having to pay fees of some kind to other type foundries. Maybe there's some ongoing negotiations regarding the Typekit desktop fonts. I don't know. I just wish the feature was working already.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 07-11-2013 12:42 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bobby, what do you think of the TrueType fonts? I have several that I use (my company logo uses Cnainlink and Metalcut) that seem to be ok..but I have never tried to scale them larger than 20pt.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 07-11-2013 02:02 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whether a typeface is good or not merely depends on how well it is designed and how much extra work was put into it above merely creating a basic character set and default spacing tables.

One of the most simple tests to use in judging a typeface is by converting some text set in that typeface into vector outlines. You would need a vector-based drawing program like Adobe Illustrator or CorelDRAW (or an open source alternative like Inkscape) to do this. Convert the text object to outlines and then closely examine how it is drawn. High quality fonts will have a minimal amount of "anchor" control points holding the outline together. Lower quality fonts will have more points scattered around the letter shape and even have various rough spots that probably shouldn't be in the design at all.

The differences between True Type and Postscript Type 1 aren't as important as they were back in the 1990s.

True Type outlines are based on quadratic B-splines, which is a little similar to the arc-based object drawing methods used by CAD programs. Curves are arguably easier to control and manipulate, but with the consequence of adding more anchor points around the vector-based shape of the letter.

Postscript outlines use Bézier curves: each anchor point has direction handles that control how a vector path will curve between it and the next anchor point. It's a little harder to control, but the finished letter will have significantly fewer anchor points (and arguably more fluid looking curves). Vector-based drawing programs like Adobe Illustrator and CorelDRAW use the Bézier approach to drawing curves, so that method is very familiar to type designers. FontLab Studio will allow native TrueType B-spline editing, but it's inconvenient to get into that different mindset of drawing.

While Postscript is superior to TrueType at the letter drawing level, it doesn't compare so well for on screen rasterization. The hinting system for TrueType is more sophisticated and has been built into both the MacOS and Windows for many years. For a long time computer users had to install programs like Adobe Type Manager in order to install & use Postscript Type 1 fonts. And the rasterizer in ATM was pretty dumb, forcing type designers to get more involved with the hinting process.

Newer versions of Windows have offered native support for Postscript Type 1 fonts. I'm pretty sure that has to do with fully supporting OpenType (an OpenType font can contain True Type or Postscript Type 1 font outlines). Newer operating systems have gotten smarter with how type is rendered on screen. Add to that the larger and higher resolution displays being used. Basically there's less need now for all kinds of hinting tricks to be built into fonts since the average computer monitor's pixel grid is getting smaller and higher in resolution.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: