Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Speeded-up railway films on BBC.

Author Topic: Speeded-up railway films on BBC.
Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 09-03-2013 03:55 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
These seem to have been a peculiarly British thing. I don't know why, but many of them have been made over the years. Recently, the BBC have presented three of them in a new way:

web page

I can't help wondering what Abel Gance would have made of it. There's nothing new, is there?

|  IP: Logged

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-03-2013 04:27 PM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I was a teen the local library had a 16mm print of the 1953 version they would loan out. Nice to see the updates and see how little the landscape has changed. I wish it were the same on this side of the pond.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 09-04-2013 10:25 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To reflect the actual speed of most of those trains, they should have slowed it down, Andy Warhol style, and charged you about £5 per frame for the privilege of watching it (£10 per frame if you don't book your viewing six weeks in advance, and £15 per frame if viewing before 9.30am)!

That's my catty remark for the day used up...

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 09-04-2013 10:35 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't forget charging you an extra £100 if you stop the film a few frames before the end.

I very seldom travel anywhere by train now, I'm still hoping to do New York - Chicago next year, but I did use Grand Central rather than National Express coach the last time I went up to Bradford in April. They seemed to be better than most.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 09-05-2013 01:29 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My mother did Grand Central between London and York when visiting me once a couple of years ago, and was pleasantly surprised: the train was old but comfortable, not overcrowded and more or less on time in both directions.

As for trains in the US, I'd love to drive the whole length of Route 66 in one direction and then take the Southwest Chief train back again one day, but that would take a serious amount of both time and money.

Mark Hajducki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-05-2013 05:17 PM      Profile for Mark Hajducki   Email Mark Hajducki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It would be nice if they gave the locations for those of us not familiar with the line.

I have traveled the full line, but only to/from Gatwick. The Southern Railway trains on the route were tight in seat width compared with other operators.

Terry Lynn-Stevens
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-05-2013 05:29 PM      Profile for Terry Lynn-Stevens   Email Terry Lynn-Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tried to give the film a watch, it was too boring.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: