Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Becoming a Free Agent

Author Topic: Becoming a Free Agent
Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 09-08-2013 11:34 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, guys... My wife is cutting me loose. If things go according to plan, I'll be divorced by the end of November.

I've been trying to reconcile for over two years but it's not working. It's all just a matter of completing the paperwork and coming to a settlement, now.

As much as that pains me, one ray of sunshine will be that there isn't much tying me down to Erie, anymore. For all of these years, I have been giving up the opportunity to work in the movie theater business but, now, I can be a free agent. I can do anything and go anywhere I want. I've been thinking about what I can do and where I can go to restart a career.

Now that the barn door is open and the horse is free to find other pastures, the future looks pretty daunting. I have given up a good job and passed up a lot of opportunities. I just don't have a good feel for what's available anymore.

So, I guess the question is where can a soon-to-be-divorced theater technician go to find meaningful work? I could move virtually anywhere in the country or even anywhere in the world if the right opportunity presented itself. I need to start looking pretty fast but I'm unsure of where to begin.

What do you guys think? Any ideas?

|  IP: Logged

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 09-09-2013 12:23 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to hear of this Randy!

Christie is looking to fill some spots:
http://www.christiedigital.com/en-us/about-christie/careers/us-careers/pages/default.aspx

Be well!

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2013 03:25 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to hear that Randy. It's always sad when a marriage fails. I divorced two women and finally looked skyward and said "Lord, I'm not even dating again unless YOU send me the woman". Almost immediately I met my current wife. Last January we celebrated our 43rd anniversary. The corporate big boys use a number of technicians. Have you thought of checking with them?

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-09-2013 08:56 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to hear of recent developments, Randy. But, like Robert says, look upward. Tell him you're not getting a job until He gives you a job. You're already perhaps wasting a bit too much effort by posting here looking for advice. Just sit back and be patient. A job, a GOOD one will be handed to you when it's time. That chair over there behind you that's comfy? Yeah, that's a good place to wait. You don't want to interfere. [Smile]

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 09-09-2013 11:07 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My purpose here is not to vent about domestic issues. I need to get it out in the open just a little bit but I don't want to talk trash in public. The simple story is that there has been a huge amount of stress in our collective lives which has built to the point where we can not overcome it. There is just too much water under the bridge.

It feels better when I don't bottle things up so much.

I will follow up on leads and consider options but I am not going to "up and leave" just because I can. It is certainly fun to talk about putting the entire U.S. of A. between us but, if you please, consider it just "guy talk."

When I say I could move anywhere I want, I do mean it but it is important for me to choose a career option with my intellect and not my gut. I don't believe that a good job will just fall into my lap. If I want to work, I have to look for a job. That is the reason I am asking for advice.

My wife, Melanie, has been and always will be my friend. She is a very important person to me. I still love her and care about her very much. There will never be a "Jerry Maguire moment" where I say just the right words at just the right time which make everything better again but, if there could be, I would take her back without a moment's hesitation.

That just ain't gonna' happen.

With that said, I just have to move on and get a life.

If all goes according to plan and there are no legal snafus, this whole thing will be over by the end of the year. If it goes well enough, it could be done before Thanksgiving.

Until then, it is "stiff upper lip" and "ducks in a row" for me.

All your advice and support is appreciated very much! [Smile]

I will follow up on as many leads as I am able.

Thanks! [Smile]

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 09-10-2013 12:27 AM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Randy, Sorry to hear about the divorce, but also pleased to hear you say that your (soon to be ex) wife is a friend. [Smile]

I do wish to point out one thing about your decision making on your next career choice though:

quote:
....but it is important for me to choose a career option with my intellect and not my gut.
I disagree with that...a lot.

Always follow your gut (with a tempering of intellect) when it comes to important decisions like career.

I have ignored my gut instinct on too many occasions in terms of career and other personal choices and it has cost me dearly, in terms of health and wealth.

Do not fall into the trap of chasing the "gold" especially if your gut is telling you it is not right. (Sometimes the "intellectual" decision is not the best one.)

I am here at close to 51 years of age and look back on things that I didn't listen to my gut and it lead to some very bad decisions being made.

Luckily I have a major change coming up where I finally DID listen to my gut and so far it looks like it will be the best decision I have ever made.

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-10-2013 01:49 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to read this, Randy.

If you are ever in my area, please let me know. We'll have coffee again.

Bruce

Alan Plester
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-11-2013 01:29 AM      Profile for Alan Plester   Email Alan Plester   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to read about it.
Wishing you all the best for whatever future lays before you, but, don't drop out the forum.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 09-11-2013 10:53 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to hear your news Randy. I hope everything goes well for your future.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-12-2013 01:22 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Randy is your email address correct in the system? People may need it to recommend or offer you gigs.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 09-12-2013 09:21 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, it is a working e-mail.

I am sorry if I don't respond quickly. I do read e-mails but, sometimes, I don't have the energy to follow through. Things are very stressful. I am sure you understand.

To top it all off, my best friend's father died last Monday. He's been dealing with that and I've been watching his back. Without going into detail, there is a certain level of acrimony in his family and I am also trying to help him deal with it.

Between the divorce, funeral arrangements and just personal junk, I am mentally and physically exhausted.

Yes, I am reading e-mails but, sometimes, I don't have energy to reply. I will try to just ping people back, at minimum.

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 09-12-2013 10:31 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"When it rains it pours" covers what you are going through pretty well. Just don't let the lows spiral out of control. Better days are ahead, although it's hard for you to see right now.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 09-12-2013 09:31 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will get through this.

Over the years, I might have alluded to some things about my upbringing. Without going into detail, you could say that things could get tough when I was growing up. While frequency and intensity of bad things that are happening is greater than when I was a kid, the situation is no worse, overall.

There is one thing I learned, growing up: If it doesn't kill you, it only makes you stronger!

quote: Tony Bandiera Jr
Always follow your gut (with a tempering of intellect) when it comes to important decisions like career.
Agreed but, in my case, I have made a few stupid decisions because I let gut instinct override intellect. I have to be careful to keep that balance and, sometimes, tip the balance toward intellect just to be safe.

I will get through this. No doubt!

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 09-13-2013 01:54 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No doubt. [thumbsup]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: