Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Possible Legal Question (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Possible Legal Question
Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 09-15-2013 10:22 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got a phone call from my mother this evening and she told me something that's got me kind of pissed off. Just want to bounce it off you guys to see what you think.

Mom is 70 years old. She's in good health and all. No health concerns that aren't common to somebody that age. She still drives and doesn't have any issues.

Mom went to get a pedicure the other day. When she went into the salon, they had been using some kind of nail polish or spray on one of the prior customers that left a lot of fumes in the air. Mom said they told her it was "silicone" or something. I don't know what it really is. That's what she said.

Mom was in a confined room with enough fumes to make her sick. She had to stop the pedicure and go outside for air. She went back in and finished up but the fumes made her sick again. She had to leave. On the way home, Mom had to stop the car in order to puke.

The girl at the salon said that this had happened before.

My concern is that they used some chemical in a confined room, got a 70 year old woman stoned on paint fumes then let her drive home in a car! What if Mom got into a car accident because of this?!

Needless to say that I'm pissed off!
I told Mom that she needs to call that salon and complain. Pitch a shit fit! Matter of fact, I think I'm going to call and pitch a fit.

My question is what do you think I should do?
I want to go in guns ablazing and give them hell. The better side of me says that I should just tell them my concern and say, "I anticipate that this will be the last time this ever happens," and leave it at that. If they are honest and fix the problem then let it drop.

I suppose Mom could threaten to sue them but she's downplaying the whole thing. I think she should at least complain but she doesn't even want to do that.

What do you guys think?

|  IP: Logged

Jim Henk
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-15-2013 11:14 PM      Profile for Jim Henk   Email Jim Henk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like a public health issue to me. I'd get an agency involved to make inspections. But who? The Fire Marshall would sure do the hissie thing if it was any kind of combustable or other toxic fume in the air, and if not, would know who the right agency to get in contact with would be.

I'd definitely take a nice morning stroll down to the old neighborhood fire house and just chat.

Yeah.

Chat.

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-15-2013 11:15 PM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You should call them and speak to them politely but firmly about the issue.

If there is any threat to be made it would be to get the health department and/or osha involved. There isn't really any lawsuit to threaten unless your Mom had gotten into an accident or needed medical treatment (which, thankfully she didn't).

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 09-15-2013 11:53 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It wouldn't hurt to call or write to the licensing authority for nail salons, whoever that is. It's probably the same place that licenses barbers.

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-16-2013 01:53 AM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tell her to consult an attorney. She may have the basis for a lawsuit. I can't help but believe this is a health code violation. I don't think the fact that your mom is 70 has any bearing. I wonder how many other women have gotten sick.

Graham Ritchie
Film Handler

- posted 09-16-2013 04:24 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Randy

I wonder if they were using "Acetone", recently we went past a place in a nearby mall that did that type of thing. It really did stink of Acetone.

We used it a lot in aviation and like so many chemicals you have to be real careful with it. You don't want to breath in the fumes that's for sure.

Graham.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 09-16-2013 04:41 AM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unless the salon did not have the proper ventilation as required by code, I don't see how she would have much of a legal case. Especially since she stepped out and then voluntarily reentered the establishment. However, as others have said, it wouldn't hurt to inquire with the local health department.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 09-16-2013 07:58 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pretty much what all of the above said. Beauty Parlors tend to be heavily regulated.
On the other hand, the employees are often low paid workers who are forced to work in horrible conditions. If your mom got sick in a few minutes, imagine what's happening to the full time workers.
Just remember, if you are going to yell at someone, yell at the right someone.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 09-16-2013 11:05 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Graham Ritchie
I wonder if they were using "Acetone", recently we went past a place in a nearby mall that did that type of thing. It really did stink of Acetone.

We used it a lot in aviation...

It's used in film labs, too, in glass wheel film polishing machines for acetate stock. They are used to polish away scratches on the base side of the film, usually on pre-print elements before printing or scanning (though sometimes showprints are polished before festival and other high-profile screenings). As you'll see from the description of this one, they are mounted in enclosed cabinets with fume extraction systems. If this nail place is using acetone in large quantities just in the open atmosphere, agreed with everyone above - surely that can't be legal.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 09-16-2013 11:27 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try giving someone at OSHA or the EPA a call about this. Both of those agencies have people who can (and do) make surprise visits to various work places to check compliance with regulations. My own workplace has had visits from those guys, as well as folks from Underwriters Laboratories.

We couldn't run something like a standard solvent-based large format printer in our shop unless it was in its own separately ventilated room and the people using it had proper air masks. FYI, we have what's known as an eco-solvent based printer. It doesn't put out all the toxic fumes.

I'm pretty sure a regulator could walk into just about any nail salon and find all sorts of violations. The fumes smell every bit as bad as those coming from a billboard printer. I see stories all the time about women getting serious fungal infections in their fingernails and toenails due to poor sanitary practices.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 09-16-2013 11:51 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
I see stories all the time about women getting serious fungal infections in their fingernails and toenails due to poor sanitary practices.
About a decade ago there was a scandal involving a branch of a well-known British cosmetics and fashion accessories chain store, which at the time was the must-go-to place for teenage and early 20s women. The staff at this place failed to follow the required procedure for cleaning and sanitising the ear-piercing machine between customers, with the result that it became infected with the necrotising fascilitis bug, and about a dozen of them ended up looking like they'd had their ears attended to by Quentin Tarantino. [puke]

The subsequent inquiry revealed more or less what you'd expect: unmotivated and pooly trained minimum wage staff, a manager who couldn't care about anything apart from the takings and a head office that had no interest in monitoring what its franchisees were doing, even if, in this case, one of them very nearly trashed the whole brand.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 09-16-2013 12:19 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The thing is that Mom is acting like a doormat. She's just minimizing the situation. I'm pissed off because of the people at the salon but also because Mom is making excuses.

Yes, she did go back into the room after getting sick but that's the way she often acts. On top of that she was probably also high on fumes and not able to think straight. The beautician might also have been guilty of manipulating her back into the room to just "finish up."

I am mostly concerned because she ended up getting so sick that she had to stop the car and throw up. If a person is so sick that they throw up, they are on the verge of poisoning. (If not already poisoned.) She was driving a car in a poisoned, virtually drunken state. She could have easisly been in a car accident.

If that's not bad enough, Mom says that the beautician told her that this has happened before, at least twice. Essentially, they know there is a problem but they are doing little to solve it. Mom said that the woman brought in a fan after she got sick the first time. They KNOW!

You guys are right. If a customer who only stays in the room for fifteen minutes at a time gets sick from the fumes, what are those fumes doing to people who people who spend six to eight hours a day, five days a week in that atmosphere?

I appreciate the chance to rant a little bit. I am not really going to run in their with guns ablazimg. I might feel like it but I know it's not the smart thing to do. If I can get my mom to give me names I think I'm going to pay them a polite visit. She knows I'm pissed off so she'll be hesitant to tell. (Good ol' codependent Mom! [Wink] )

The overriding concern is that if this happened to my mother and the woman at the salon said it has happened before, how many other women have been sickened by this place? How long will it be before some old lady gets poisoned and ends up in the hospital or gets hurt in a car accident?

I think I am going to go to that place and have a nice talk with them if I can weasel the information out of my mom. Maybe I can ask my stepdad what he knows.

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-16-2013 01:20 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You should start with the health department in the town where the salon is located.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 09-16-2013 06:19 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Randy Stankey
The thing is that Mom is acting like a doormat. She's just minimizing the situation. I'm pissed off because of the people at the salon but also because Mom is making excuses.
There are some people who have a real, deep-seated fear of confrontation, and will go to almost any extreme to avoid getting into a confrontational situation, even to the extent of putting up with being on the receiving end of outrageous behaviour. I once had to help a close friend through a crisis who is precisely that sort of person, and I can't begin to explain how frustrating it is, especially if it's blindingly obvious to you that just drawing a line in the sand will make the crappy behaviour stop. And of course, the kind of person who is inclined to behave crappily to people will seek out and identify the kind of person who is likely to put up with it, thereby creating a negative feedback loop.

However much it goes against the grain to do so, in the end it's usually easier and less stressful for both parties if you can find a workaround for a situation like that, rather than having to hit it head on. In this case, reporting this place to whatever regulatory authority/ies it comes under would seem to me to be the way to go.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 09-16-2013 09:17 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Leo, you have no idea just how much what you said hit home!

There are some old, family issues at play. I was somewhat aware that I was falling into those family dynamics and your comment has validatd that thought.

I am going to let this issue drop, at least with my mother, but I am going to try to find out the name and address of that salon and see if I can find out if they have had a history of this kind of problem. If so, I am going to make a few phone calls to the proper authority.

Thanks for bringing some clarity. It was just what I needed to hear.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: