Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Allergic reaction to US-bought deodorant

Author Topic: Allergic reaction to US-bought deodorant
Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 09-25-2013 01:18 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is going way off-topic from Randy's 'possible legal question' thread, but Marcel's post on it struck me as interesting, given a recent personal experience, and so I thought I'd mention it, in case anyone has any ideas. Marcel writes:

quote: Marcel Birgelen
My girlfriend quite recently bought some kind of hairspray, that caused all kinds off havoc in me. It literally took my breath away and I almost fainted. I kept coughing for about 30 minutes afterwards. I packed that shit up and immediately headed to the store she bought this stuff. It was from a common brand and should have all the correct certifications, so I thought that the stuff in the bottle might be some hazardous freak accident in a production run.
I've recently moved from Britain to the United States. I never had any problem with deodorant spray bought in Britain: and for that matter, I'm pretty sure I've bought the odd can on visits to other European countries and not had a problem either.

But when my last British can ran out in late July and I bought a can of Right Guard Sport from the local Target ... ouch! It stung immediately on spraying it, and within an hour my armpits were strawberry-red.

We thought it was a one-off reaction to that brand, and so my wife bought me a stick of Body Shop maca root stuff: organic, politically correct, not tested on animals and with a price sticker to match. That stung even more and made the inflammation worse. We thought that this could be the ongoing aftermath of the Shite Guard (as I quickly nicknamed it), and stuck with the Body Shop stuff for a week, with no luck.

Eventually, out of desparation, I asked a British relative to buy a can of perfectly ordinary deodorant at the local supermarket and mail it to me (thank goodness it wasn't stopped by customs - we'd have had some very interesting questions to answer!). Within a few days of it arriving, problem over - no more itchy, red armpits.

The obvious conclusion from this is that there is a common ingredient in deodorant sold in the US that isn't in the stuff sold in the UK. I haven't been able to find out what it is: both the Right Guard and Body Shop stuff list hardly any of their ingredients (denatured alcohol and butane propellant only in the case of the former, and nothing whatsoever in the case of the latter), whereas the British stuff has a list of ingredients and E-numebrs that looks like something out of a Michael Crichton novel.

So if anyone has come across this before and can suggest a non-irritating deodorant that's widely available in the US, suggestions greatly appreciated. I'm thinking about trying the Burt's Bees stuff, as their aftershave works well for me, but it appears to be seriously pricey. Not a problem if it'll work, though.

|  IP: Logged

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 09-25-2013 03:08 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I usually have to be careful with deodorants. My arm pits can break out in an itchy rash if I put on too much of it. I think the offending ingredient is aluminum salt.

I don't use the spray type of deodorant. I tend to use the "speed stick" type stuff.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-25-2013 06:06 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Toms of Maine makes some non alergenic stick products

Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-25-2013 06:26 PM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A comparison of the MSDS sheets for Right Guard in the U.S. and the United Kingdom seems to show that the US version contains DC-245, which is a form of silicon. Any sensitivity there?

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 09-26-2013 12:53 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not that I'm aware of, but many thanks for the pointer. I guess it's going to be a case of trying different brands until I find one that doesn't argue with me. If and when I do, I'll check to see if DC-245 is in there.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 09-27-2013 08:13 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe it's just bad luck that you discovered two deodorants from different brands that got you the same allergic reaction. But if it would happen a third time to me, I would definitely go to see a doctor and take the offending products with me.

That way, they can at least figure out what's causing your troubles and you'll be able to avoid products with problematic ingredients.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 09-27-2013 11:18 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try different types of deodorant, too. Stick or gel instead of spray.

Also, if you wash regularly, what' the real need for deodorant?
Unless you perspire a lot, you don't really need it.

The use of cosmetics is mostly just a psychological thing instilled by modern advertising.

Besides, using too many cosmetics isn't very good for your health in the long term. If something makes you uncomfortable and it isn't necessary, why use it?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-28-2013 05:01 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to use a gel type deodorant... I am alergic to just about anything else and will break out from them.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-28-2013 05:45 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a big fan of "Sure" stick, unscented. It was the unscented part that drew me to it. I never understood the concept of a "deodorant" that merely changed "your odor" to a different odor. Give it a try. It does the job without any irritation that gels/sprays have.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 09-29-2013 12:02 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Randy Stankey
Unless you perspire a lot, you don't really need it.
Having just moved to somewhere where daytime temperatures are about 30 degrees higher than where I spent the first half of my life, that's me!

Thanks for all the suggestions - will try them.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-29-2013 02:44 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A lot of deorodant also has alumnium stuff in it. Try to avoid that!

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2013 04:08 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have found that certain brands of deodorants, soaps, detergents etc. wreak havoc on my body.

This is why I have stuck to very specific brands of these products. Once I find a good one, I stick to it.

Sure for deodorant, Tide for clothes, Zest for soap...

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 09-29-2013 05:04 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
A lot of deorodant also has alumnium stuff in it. Try to avoid that!
There is a difference between "deodorant" and "antiperspirant." The deodorant just has an antibacterial agent to stop odor producing bacteria plus a cover scent to mask any odor that is produced. The antiperspirant has the aluminum salts (aluminum chloro-something-or other) to block the sweat glands from producing moisture. That's the stuff that's not good for you.

We have sweat glands for a reason. Preventing them from doing their job can cause all sorts of problems over the long term. I would go one step farther and say that killing the bacterial flora on our bodies by using antibacterial agents, even the kind in standard deodorants, is likely harming us in the long term.

Yes, I still use deodorants/antiperspirants but I don't use them every day. If I'm not going to work or some place important, sometimes I'll even skip showering. I'll just wash up in the bathroom sink instead.

I also use certain brands of soaps and detergents, etc.
I use Doctor Bronner's Castile Soap for showering and washing.
http://www.drbronner.com/DBMS/OLPE16/PeppermintLiquidSoap.htm
I use Tide fragrance free for laundry and I use Mitchum gel deodorant/antiperspirant.
I pretty much stick to just those brands.

Jim Henk
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-01-2013 12:41 AM      Profile for Jim Henk   Email Jim Henk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep. Laundry - SA8. No phosphates, no chlorine, no petroleum products at all. Dermatologist - allergy tested, no animal testing, and breaks down in the environment super quick. Never had a problem.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 10-07-2013 08:14 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My wife is worried about chemical nasties in laundry detergent too, as a result of which we use Biokleen. If the smell of it is anything to go by, the main ingredient seems to be grapefruit. $50 buys three 64oz bottles (including shipping), and each bottle seems to last 6-8 weeks, so it doesn't work out any more expensive than supermarket stuff. It seems to work pretty well, too, and come to think of it, itchy collars have become a thing of the past since she introduced me to it.

As for deodorant, some Burt's Bees is on its way. Watch this space...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: