Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » FTP client (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: FTP client
Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-26-2013 04:04 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm fairly new to FTP transfer but I have done them before. I'm using Filezilla now. Our internet at the theater is 25MBS download speed. Filezilla is transferring at an average of 800KBS. Is there a faster service?

|  IP: Logged

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-26-2013 04:13 PM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Probably not. Your theater internet is probably 25 Meg bits per second (Mbps). The FileZilla rate is 800K bytes per second MBps which translates to 6.4 Mbps (8 bits per byte).

Your transfer speed will be limited by the slowest link or host.

I use ftp quite a lot and rarely is the transfer even close to my internet link speed (35Mbps bidirectional). FileZilla is really quite good and the best part is its free.

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-26-2013 04:21 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well that's disappointing. Thanks anyway Rick.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 09-26-2013 05:28 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Depending on what you're doing, you may (or may not) get better transfer speeds using scp with compression enabled instead of plain old ftp. scp's native compression method is gzip, so it's great for some types of files and substantially less impressive for others. Of course, transfers of large, uncompressed files will show more of an improvement than transfers of small or previously compressed files.

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-26-2013 05:48 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It will mostly be for DCP trailers.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 09-26-2013 06:24 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Richard, are you talking about the speed for sending something out from your theatre, or downloading something to your theatre. I you're talking about sending out (upload), you're speed will normally be significantly lower than your download speed. This is something tied to your ISP and has nothing to do with what FTP client you're using.

If you are talking about download, it could be slow because it's downloading from a computer that has a slow upload speed, or the bandwidth is being used by multiple users downloading at the same time. About the only thing you can do is make sure you're not trying to download multiple files at one time - or that your connection isn't being used to steam media or any other bandwidth intensive activity by another user.

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-26-2013 07:11 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is for downloading trailers. There is nothing else on our network to slow things down. It must be on their end.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 09-26-2013 07:29 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm interested in Justin's "steamed media". It must look something like this:

-

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 09-27-2013 10:59 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you're using Windows XP or later, you can just type the FTP address into the Windows Explorer address bar, and use the remote site as if it is a local folder, dragging and dropping as reqiured. That won't work with FTPS/FTPES, but for unencrypted FTP I've found it to be much less of a faff than Filezilla.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 09-27-2013 12:35 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FileZilla is a very decent FTP client, probably one of the better ones currently out there. It beats the integrated FTP clients in recent Windows version hands down on may aspect. If you don't need those features, the one integrated in Windows is fine, but...

The nice thing about FileZilla is that it supports queues and can reliably resume file transfers if they were interrupted. It also understands passive FTP without causing headaches, which is important if you're behind a non-supportive firewall/NAT setup. Also, you can download multiple files at once (configurable), which can highly improve your overall up-/download rate, for both small and large files. If you're experiencing high latency to your up-/download location and dynamic TCP windowing isn't available or broken, having multiple TCP data streams can dramatically improve your overall transfer speed. Obviously that only works (with FTP) when transferring multiple files, not just a single big one.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 09-27-2013 01:03 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It could be that whoever is running the server is using traffic shaping or per-connection bandwidth caps to limit the amount of traffic that one user can create. Depending on the server-side setup, you might be able to open multiple connections (in the same or different client(s)) to transfer multiple files at once.

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-27-2013 01:18 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott. That's what it sounds like. It definitely is on their end. I downloaded files from somewhere else and it went much quicker. Since these are single large files, I will just have to deal with it.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-28-2013 05:49 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to use Filezilla...until a corrupted software update (upon transfer) caused two servers out of 8 to die. It was a couple of years ago and I heard similar stories about a generation of Filezilla that had issues (PC version). I switched to WinSCP and never looked back (version 4.19). Never an issue.

Bajsic Bojan
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2013 01:44 AM      Profile for Bajsic Bojan   Email Bajsic Bojan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Total commander, it's stable, have no issues. Interface is clunky but if you remember the Norton Commander of DOS fame, this is it.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-29-2013 04:38 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
You are welcome for the recommendation, Steve.

WinSCP version 4.1.9 is indeed flawless. I'm not sure how easy it is to find anymore, but it's here if anyone wants to grab a copy. WinSCP is freeware.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: