Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Arclignt's Dome 50th Anniversary - NO large format or Cinerama!!

Author Topic: Arclignt's Dome 50th Anniversary - NO large format or Cinerama!!
William Kucharski
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-17-2013 04:07 PM      Profile for William Kucharski   Email William Kucharski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure whether it's due to the retirement of John Sittig - previously Arclight's beloved Director of Projection & Sound, and arguably Cinerama's greatest partisan - or whether their Facebook representative is correct in saying Arclight wanted to focus on the anniversary, not the process - but as a part of their 50th anniversary of the Dome Arclight is not showing any films in large format or even Cinerama.

They are showing It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World - in digital.

Worse yet, they are showing How the West was Won in what may be the lowest resolution format available to them - single strip 35mm!!

I can't imagine what they're thinking; so many people are going to be so disappointed believing they'll be seeing How the West was Won in Cinerama when what they'll be seeing is that beautiful three strip image shrunk down to a single 35mm frame then blown up dome-size. How is that a "celebration" of anything but film grain?

What's much more of a pity is during last year's 60th anniversary of Cinerama, they showed How the West was Won from the beautiful 3-strip print they own and a stunning 70mm Ultra Panavision print of It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World.

I've heard from several people over the past year that Arclight has dropped in quality; is this yet another sign concealed under the veneer of "being a celebration of the Dome, not the process?"

|  IP: Logged

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-17-2013 04:20 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robert Harris has completed a restoration of the 197-minute version of Mad World. I wonder if that is the one that will be shown. (It will be released on Blu-Ray in January from Criterion.)

William Kucharski
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-17-2013 04:31 PM      Profile for William Kucharski   Email William Kucharski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I doubt it; I suspect it's the current DCP.

Edward Havens
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-17-2013 05:50 PM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To be fair, it's not like the Cinerama Dome actually played a real three-strip Cinerama title during its first forty years, and it's also not like they go a very long time without having some kind of Cinerama festival of its own. They just did a Cinerama 60th Anniversary festival last year, and I'm sure John would be willing to come out of retirement for a few days if Pacific/Arclight asked him for assistance on the next one.

Off topic, if you ever get the chance to see John's collection of lenses, films and other items of the widescreen era, you must do everything you can to see it. I wish he's write a book about his collection.

William Kucharski
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-17-2013 06:17 PM      Profile for William Kucharski   Email William Kucharski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd love to see his collection.

I was at the festival last year and now am especially grateful that I was.

It's just you'd think that when the blurb for their anniversary states:

quote:
We're celebrating the 50th anniversary of one of Hollywood's most recognizable landmarks: The Cinerama Dome, a geodesic structure boasting a screen of 32 x 86 feet with a 146 degree curve. Opened on November 7, 1963, the Dome was designed to show movies in the Cinerama process, known for its ultra-realistic projection, and is currently one of only three theaters of the kind left in the world.
they might actually want to show a film in the process.

It's their decision, I get it, but it's still a pity.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 10-17-2013 10:34 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: William Kucharski
How is that a "celebration" of anything but film grain?
Maybe this is the point. The industry has transitioned to digital, and that's where their allegiance lies now. What's in it for them if they start making film look *too* good?

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 10-22-2013 08:59 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So.... If you had a restored print of something, and had a DCP made of each strip, is there a way you could synchronize 3 digital projectors?

Lincoln Spector
Film Handler

- posted 10-22-2013 01:10 PM      Profile for Lincoln Spector   Author's Homepage   Email Lincoln Spector   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jack Ondracek
So.... If you had a restored print of something, and had a DCP made of each strip, is there a way you could synchronize 3 digital projectors?
It's probably possible. There's a theater near me that syncs two digital projectors for 3D.

I imagine that you could get Cinerama quality with a 6K projector set up specifically for the AR and curvature. But first, someone would have to make a 6K projector.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 10-22-2013 07:19 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've long believed that setups with multiple adjacent projectors are doomed to fail, because it will always create visible and distracting artifacts where the images meet. But...

I've recently been to The Wall by Roger Waters, the reincarnation of the original concerts they did back in the 80's.

They use a giant wall as backdrop that spans the whole venue and this was a stadium that seats about 50,000 people, so this thing was really HUGE.

The resolution of the whole canvas is supposed to be 8560 x 1620 pixels. The brightness of the projections is beyond amazing, I've never seen such bright digital projections before. They're using about 24 projectors for the wall alone, together with a custom rig that seems to chop off a bit off the vertical edges of the projections.

I do believe they use at least two projectors for every segment, to achieve this amazing brightness.

I've been looking for visible seams, as they're usually easily spotted in multi projector setups, but I've not seen a single one.

So yes, with sufficient dedication and budget, you could create something really amazing.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 10-22-2013 08:52 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw HOW THE WEST WAS WON in three strip Cinerama at the Cinerama Theatre in Honolulu doing it's first run engagement and it was just marvelous. I saw it again about a year and a half later at my hometown theatre, the Waipahu in 35mm with mono sound and it was terrible. On the other hand, the Movie on Blu Ray gives a very good impression of what I saw in the original version. By the way, the three strip projection equipment at the Archlight Cinerama Dome is from our Cinerama theatre.

-Claude

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-24-2013 03:26 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Everything at the Dome is DCP for this including this Sunday's presentation of Mad Mad World. Sadly, this appears to be more about celebrating that the dome exists than it does the different formats both digital and film that it has and can still run.

Mark

Randy Pryde
Film Handler

- posted 10-24-2013 10:42 PM      Profile for Randy Pryde   Author's Homepage   Email Randy Pryde   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As of the time of this post, the arclight webpage notes that the showing of "How the West Was Won" will be in the original 3 strip Cinerama process.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 10-26-2013 02:02 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed, it does, sounds like the previous moaning was a bit unjustified:

quote:
Presented in the original three-strip CINERAMA projection process... From the Erie Canal and Ohio River, across the Rocky Mountains to the Pacific Ocean, How The West Was Won is the story of America’s expansion westward as told by three generations of pioneers, this massive motion picture was filmed with one of the greatest cast ever assembled.
Sounds pretty much awesome to me. It's not right around the corner for me, but when I would be in the vicinity, I would definitely try to catch this.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-26-2013 04:13 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And they are running HTWWW again on November 14th @ 8 PM. But possibly only a 35mm print. The listing wasn't exactly clear on format for that showing.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: