Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » FAA Finally Lifts Epically Dumb Ban on Mobile Device Use on Planes

Author Topic: FAA Finally Lifts Epically Dumb Ban on Mobile Device Use on Planes
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-02-2013 10:13 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Link

FAA Finally Lifts Epically Dumb Ban on Mobile Device Use on Planes
quote:

Our long national nightmare is over. The Federal Aviation Administration has finally seen the error of its ways and will permit airlines to allow passengers to use electronic devices during takeoff and landing. Because, no, playing Dots isn’t going to bring down Boeing’s latest high-tech airliner.

The ban on mobile devices has been in effect since the early 1990s, when cellphones began to crop up, and the FAA and airlines summarily freaked the hell out for no good reason. Despite no direct evidence that the use of mobile phones or other electronic devices would interfere with the plane’s systems, the ban continued — even after the FAA hired an outside safety agency to find if anything could go wrong. They didn’t. But the FAA and airlines decided to continue the policy. Until today.

The FAA’s announcement requires airlines to prove that electronic devices are safe to use on their planes from gate to gate, and the agency expects all carriers to get the thumbs-up from the Feds by the end of the year.

E-book devices, handheld gaming systems, tablets, and phones will be allowed during takeoff and landing, although the FAA recommends that you still switch to airplane mode because you’re not going to get a signal 30,000 feet in the air — the only hit you’ll take is a dead battery when you land. However, larger devices like laptops will have to be stowed away because of their potential to become silicon-filled projectiles if there’s an emergency — which was the real reason many airlines preferred the ban to be in effect.

Its about time somebody woke up. I've always said (even before confirming with pilot friends of mine) that if a cell phone can cause the plane to crash, there is NO WAY they wouldn't give everyone the shakedown and confiscate all cell phones before boarding the plane.

I get the argument that the airlines want people paying attention, but they have taken that silly argument way too far.

|  IP: Logged

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 11-02-2013 11:02 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Article posted by Brad
Because, no, playing Dots isn’t going to bring down Boeing’s latest high-tech airliner.
Unless Boeing supplied the battery in your cellphone, in which case it might ... [Razz]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-05-2013 01:06 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently American Airlines lifted the ban today.

AA facebook page

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-05-2013 08:30 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it true you can't get a cell signal at 30,000 feet?

I'm hoping they keep the no-cell-phone-calls ban in place, though. The thought of sitting next to some idiot yammering away throughout a 4-hour flight is enough to make me consider driving.

quote: Brad Miller
I get the argument that the airlines want people paying attention
I can kind of see this. The most likely time for a "problem" is the takeoff and landing times. Think about the Sullenberger incident (where he landed the plane in the Hudson). Without the ban on devices, some knothead would have probably been zoning out on headphones, not realize there was a problem, gotten hurt, and sued the airline. Unlikely but you know how things go.

The whole "safety briefing" thing is a joke though, as are the exit row procedures. Half the time, you can't HEAR the flight attendant who is racing through the script at warp speed. And, if the plane crashed, do they really think the exit-row people are going to have the presence of mind to do all those duties on the little card? First of all they probably didn't bother to read the card. Second, once the plane is down, if possible, they're most likely to be out the door and long gone before anybody else recovers from the impact.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 11-05-2013 08:44 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From what I gather, the problem is that when you're flying within an area that has more or less contiguous cellphone coverage (e.g. most of continental Europe and the US/Canada), you move so quickly between the coverage of different towers that your phone gets confused as to which one it's supposed to be linked to. In other words, the GSM system isn't designed to take account of phones moving between towers at 500mph, with the result that when you're within range of more than one and moving very quickly at the same time, your phone can't decide which one it's supposed to be communicating with, and so won't communicate at all.

None of which endangers the safety of the aeroplane you're sitting in, only the battery life of the phone and the sanity of its owner!

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 11-05-2013 10:41 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Leo Enticknap
...your phone can't decide which one it's supposed to be communicating with, and so won't communicate at all.
...but, instead, ties up the cellular phone network with repeated, failed handshaking attempts.

Do that with 100 phones all in one airplane and with dozens of planes flying around the same area and you have what amounts to a DDoS attack on the cellular system.

While I am sure that there are things in place to prevent that from happening but it still means that bandwidth and processing power is being used up for no reason.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 11-06-2013 11:20 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
'm hoping they keep the no-cell-phone-calls ban in place, though. The thought of sitting next to some idiot yammering away throughout a 4-hour flight is enough to make me consider driving.

Maybe airlines will come up with the equivalent of AMTRAKs Quiet Cars. Not in our lifetimes, of course, but we can dream.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 11-07-2013 10:42 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even if they do, it probably won't offer much relief (unless you employ someone with an AK-47 to take out the people ignoring the quiet coach notice, which wouldn't exactly be quiet!): my experience of quiet carriages both in Britain and the US is that they are quite simply ignored. On the Metrolink between San Bernardino and LA, the convention seems to be that using your phone is OK in the quiet coach except for spoken conversations, including the various noises smartphones make when an SMS, email, Facebook message etc. arrives (but that's a small price to pay to avoid the 10 freeway through the Inland Empire in the rush hour).

Again, on planes, so many people ignore the 'no electronic devices during takeoff and landing' rule that I don't think you'd stand a snowball's chance in a microwave of enforcing a 'no phone use in rows 45-55' type rule, especially in a paid-for allocated seating scenario in which a passenger is made to pay extra to ensure that they get a seat in a row where phone use is allowed (I once overheard a conversation between a passenger and a train guard in England, in which the passenger was complaining that she asked for a seat reservation not in the quiet coach, but ended up in there anyway). The people who want to use their phones outnumber those who want to sit in peace by an order of magnitude, and the airlines won't want to lose their business.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-07-2013 11:07 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think the airlines do anything with an aim toward "not losing business." They've worked tirelessly and diligently on making flying as miserable as possible for decades. If anything it seems like they're trying to discourage business.

Everything they do is aimed toward chasing money, and following the ever-more-silly government regulations. Not making customers happy. This whole electronic devices thing is just a "can't beat 'em, might as well join 'em" move.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 11-07-2013 11:40 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have had good experiences with the Amtrak "quiet cars." For the most part, it is self-regulating. I'm not sure if the conductors actively kick people out for cell phone conversations, but I have not observed any major violations.

If airlines ever start allowing cell phone calls without restrictions, I will stop travelling by air. Seriously. Cell phone users are obnoxious enough on ground-based public transportation ("honey, I'm on the train!"), but at least it is easy enough to distance oneself from them. I can't imagine being stuck on a plane next to a chatterbox with a cell phone.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 11-07-2013 06:02 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Everything they do is aimed toward chasing money, and following the ever-more-silly government regulations. Not making customers happy. This whole electronic devices thing is just a "can't beat 'em, might as well join 'em" move
I'd guess that the airlines have been losing a lot of short-haul and a significant amount of medium-haul business to road (and in Europe, high-speed rail) over the last decade, and have been trying to get the electronic device restrictions relaxed because, along with the TSA, extra charges for checked bags, coffee, an aisle seat etc., this is yet another reason why an increasing number of people are actually doing what Scott is threatening to do, namely avoid air travel.

Olivia and I drove on a trip from Loma Linda to Phoenix last month (340 miles or so). Door to door, the trip took around 4h45m: We might have shaved half an hour off that by flying, but it would have been a lot more expensive (especially as two people were travelling and once ground transportation to and from the airports is factored in) and a lot more stressful.

Frankly, I can't see myself ever flying again for a trip of less than 500 miles or so, and certainly not unless the price of tickets goes back down to what budget airlines were charging for short-haul flights in the early '00s. Obviously for long-haul I don't have any choice (I suppose it would be theoretically possible to visit my relatives in England by a road or rail trip to the east coast followed by a boat, but it would take at least 2 weeks in each direction and cost an arm and a leg, I'd guess), but as long as they don't build phone masts in the middle of the North Atlantic, I'll be safe for at least some of the flight!

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 11-07-2013 07:54 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Leo Enticknap

I can't see myself ever flying again for a trip of less than 500 miles or so

Absolutely! Aside from cost and inconvenience of air travel, I have always felt like airlines treat passengers like cattle. I just don't like it.

Besides, when driving, you can stop any time you want to go to a rest stop, to eat, to go sightseeing or if you just feel like pulling off the road to look at something, you can do those things any time you want. There are some times when I'll take the scenic route just because I feel like it. You just can't enjoy yourself that way on an airliner.

I haven't got a problem driving four to eight hours in a car. I don't see any reason to travel by air unless you have to travel a long distance or unless you have to get there quickly.

Airlines are too much of a hassle and are a waste of money, IMHO.

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-07-2013 08:32 PM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it true you can't get a cell signal at 30,000 feet?
It depends upon the type of towers under the flight path. Most towers these days use directional antennas to increase bandwidth efficiency. They are aimed towards the ground and won't transmit and receive very well at that altitude.

The omnidirectional antenna cell sites could easily be received at cruising altitude. You're only 7.5 miles or so up and cell sites can easily cover a 15 mile radius (and do often on rural highway areas).

The big issue is that (with sites that can see the phones) too many sites have line of sight simultaneously. This creates interference on the network and also confuses the network combined with the speed that the phone is moving.

A 4G LTE phone probably won't ever work because those networks are most likely 100% directional antennas.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: