Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Car hit my wall (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Car hit my wall
Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 12-31-2013 01:31 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So I walk out my front door this morning and what's the first thing that I see? Skid marks and car parts on the sidewalk, and a hole in my wall.

I called the police and was told that the woman who did it had already reported herself so all I had to do was go to the police station and pick up the report to take to my insurance agent. Which I did, and was advised that this will be 100% covered by her car insurance so it won't cost me anything to have it repaired.

Then I got to go back outside and clean up the mess on the sidewalk, in -40 degree weather.

Oh well. It could have been a lot worse and really, if she must hit the building then that's the place to hit it. Further west and she would have hit the door; further east and she would have broken the window.

-

|  IP: Logged

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 12-31-2013 01:55 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All kudos to the lady for having the honesty to report the accident. A couple of years ago a BMW skidded on some black ice and buried itself in the front of a colleague's house. However, the small print of the insurance policy said that the policy was only valid if the vehicle was in a condition to pass an MOT test at the time of the accident: when the wreck was examined, they found that all four tyres were below the minimum tread depth. Therefore, the driver's insurers refused to pay, and my colleague had a three-month battle with her home building insurers to get them to pay. At one stage, it looked like she might have to remortgage her house to get it repaired. Her building insurers eventually sued the owner of the BMW for £85k - I bet he'll be checking the tread on his tyres more regularly in future!

Anyway, glad that it was only a minor bang-ding-ow and that you've got the insurance details. There seems to be some weird weather going on at the mo: intense cold in central Canada that is causing flight cancellations, snow chaos in the northeast US, rain, gales and flooding in Britain, and ... 70-degree sunshine in Southern California! [Razz]

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 12-31-2013 03:28 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
it's 81 degrees now and a very nice sunny day here in a Honolulu on New Year's Eve.
[Smile]

-Claude

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-31-2013 11:25 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do live in fear that someday a drunk from the bar next door will put his pickup truck in "first" instead of "reverse" and plow through our front doors. (We have angle parking out front.) At least, I have the knowledge that our building would probably stand up to today's flimsy Detroit vehicles!

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 05-21-2014 06:25 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The front of my building had a tough winter. Shortly after I got the hole in the wall that I posted above, the city snow plow hit the front wall again, further along it just under the front windows.

So I had two separate claims to get it fixed, one with the vehicle insurance agency to get the first hole fixed, and one with the city to get the second hole fixed.

The carpenter that I hired to do the work showed up yesterday afternoon and as of now (a day and a half later) both of the areas are now repaired and back to as-new condition. He's going to split the bill between the city and the vehicle insurance outfit.

The comedy and tragedy masks that I had high on that wall (you can just see the bottom edge in the photo that I posted) apparently rotted out from the back and they fell apart when they were removing them to replace the siding. They didn't look too bad from the front, but I guess water got in behind them and destroyed them. Better to find out about that now than to have them fall off and hit someone.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 05-21-2014 07:42 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank,

Why don't you just convert your theater to a drive-in and save yourself a lot of trouble?

[Wink]

(Come on, you've got to laugh when shit goes wrong like this. It's the only way to stay sane. [Wink] )

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-21-2014 07:53 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or maybe install a drive-up popcorn window.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 05-21-2014 09:46 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Too many people apparently think it's a drive-through already...

Steve Matz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-21-2014 09:53 PM      Profile for Steve Matz   Email Steve Matz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Police are also Public Servants; They should have delivered the Report to your Theater after the woman filed it instead of you having to drive down there...

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-22-2014 12:28 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Prob Canada have different Public Servant laws than down here in the States.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 05-22-2014 12:48 AM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What, me drive? The police station is just one block past the post office, which in turn is only two blocks away from here. Since I walk to the post office every weekday to pick up the mail (no street address delivery here, everyone has a box number at the post office) it wasn't any hardship to walk one extra block to pick up the report, then walk two blocks back the other way to drop it off at the insurance agent's office.

That's one advantage of living where I do -- pretty much everything is within easy walking distance. I rarely drive unless I'm going somewhere out of town or have more stuff to pick up at the bus depot than I can conveniently carry. The bus depot is about the furthest away that I walk on a regular basis; never tried measuring it but I guess it's about a mile from here.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 05-23-2014 03:39 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just out of curiosity....

But, I was looking at that picture and wondering if in Canada it's common to have something like an obligation to keep the sidewalk in front of your building reasonably free from snow and ice?

In Belgium and Germany, for example, you actually usually do have such an obligation. Although the execution is somewhat flaky at best in practice and many regions don't see that much snow in a typical winter. I also don't remember anybody actually getting a fine or reprimand for not cleaning their sidewalk, but if somebody falls and hurts him/herself on that particular uncleaned stretch, I'm wondering about the potential implications...

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-23-2014 09:18 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
City bylaws are different every where in Toronto it is 12hrs after a snowfall to have all ice and snow off the sidewalk yet when I'm in Edmonton most people dont remove any snow at all it just gets trampled into a hard mass

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-23-2014 11:51 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You still have snow? It must finally warm up around November first, ha?

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 05-23-2014 12:34 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hell, we're still getting snow here in the northern tier of New Mexico, the edge of the system that walloped Colorado last week;

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: