Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » 2014 Oscar Nominations (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: 2014 Oscar Nominations
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-17-2014 11:23 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
2014 ACADEMY AWARD NOMINATIONS

BEST PICTURE
12 Years a Slave
The Wolf of Wall Street
Captain Phillips
Her
American Hustle
Gravity
Dallas Buyers Club
Nebraska
Philomena

Best director
Steve McQueen -- "12 Years a Slave"
David O. Russell -- "American Hustle"
Alfonso Cuaron -- "Gravity"
Alexander Payne -- "Nebraska"
Martin Scorsese -- "The Wolf of Wall Street"

Best actor
Bruce Dern -- "Nebraska"
Chiwetel Ejiofor -- "12 Years a Slave"
Matthew McConaughy -- "Dallas Buyers Club"
Leonardo DiCaprio -- "The Wolf of Wall Street"
Christian Bale -- "American Hustle"

Best actress
Amy Adams -- "American Hustle"
Cate Blanchett -- "Blue Jasmine"
Judi Dench -- "Philomena"
Sandra Bullock -- "Gravity"
Meryl Streep -- "August: Osage County"

Best supporting actor
Barkhad Abdi -- "Captain Phillips"
Bradley Cooper -- "American Hustle"
Jonah Hill -- "The Wolf of Wall Street"
Jared Leto -- "Dallas Buyers Club"
Michael Fassbender -- "12 Years a Slave"

Best supporting actress
Jennifer Lawrence -- "American Hustle"
Lupita Nyong'o -- "12 Years a Slave"
June Squibb -- "Nebraska"
Julia Roberts -- "August: Osage County"
Sally Hawkins -- "Blue Jasmine"

Best original screenplay
"American Hustle" -- David O. Russell and Eric Warren Singer
"Blue Jasmine" -- Woody Allen
"Her" -- Spike Jonze
"Nebraska" -- Bob Nelson
"Dallas Buyers Club" -- Craig Borten and Melisa Wallack

Best adapted screenplay
"12 Years a Slave" -- John Ridley
"Before Midnight" -- Julie Delpy, Ethan Hawke and Richard Linklater
"The Wolf of Wall Street" -- Terence Winter
"Captain Phillips" -- Billy Ray
"Philomena" -- Steve Coogan and Jeff Pope

Best animated feature
"The Wind Rises"
"Frozen"
"Despicable Me 2"
"Ernest & Celestine"
"The Croods"

Best foreign feature
"The Hunt" (Denmark)
"The Broken Circle Breakdown" (Belgium)
"The Great Beauty" (Italy)
"Omar" (Palestinian territories)
"The Missing Picture" (Cambodia)

Best music (original song)
"Frozen": "Let it Go" -- Robert Lopez and Kristen Anderson-Lopez
"Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom": "Ordinary Love" -- U2, Paul Hewson
"Her": "The Moon Song" -- Karen O, Spike Jonze
"Despicable Me 2": "Happy" -- Pharrell Williams
"Alone Yet Not Alone": "Alone Yet Not Alone" -- Bruce Broughton, Dennis Spiegel

Best music (original score)
"Gravity" -- Steven Price
"Philomena" -- Alexandre Desplat
"The Book Thief" -- John Williams
"Saving Mr. Banks" -- Thomas Newman
"Her" -- William Butler and Owen Pallett

Best cinematography
"Gravity" -- Emmanuel Lubezki
"Inside Llewyn Davis" -- Bruno Delbonnel
"Nebraska" -- Phedon Papamichael
"Prisoners" -- Roger Deakins
"The Grandmaster" -- Phillippe Le Sourd

Best costume design
"The Great Gatsby" -- Catherine Martin
"12 Years a Slave" -- Patricia Norris
"The Grandmaster" -- William Chang Suk Ping
"American Hustle" -- Michael Wilkinson
"The Invisible Woman" -- Michael O'Connor

Best documentary feature
"The Act of Killing"
"20 Feet From Stardom"
"The Square"
"Cutie and the Boxer"
"Dirty Wars"

Best film editing
"Gravity" -- Alfonso Cuaron, Mark Sanger
"12 Years a Slave"-- Joe Walker
"Captain Phillips" -- Christopher Rouse
"American Hustle" -- Jay Cassidy, Crispin Struthers and Alan Baumgarten
"Dallas Buyers Club" -- John Mac McMurphy and Martin Pensa

Best makeup and hairstyling
"The Lone Ranger" -- Joel Harlow and Gloria Pasqua-Casny
"Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa" -- Stephen Prouty
"Dallas Buyers Club" -- Adruitha Lee and Robin Mathews

Best production design
"12 Years a Slave" -- Adam Stockhausen and Alice Baker
"The Great Gatsby" -- Catherine Martin and Beverley Dunn
"American Hustle" -- Judy Becker and Heather Loeffler
"Gravity" -- Andy Nicholson, Rosie Goodwin and Joanne Woollard
"Her" -- K.K. Barrett and Gene Serdena

Best visual effects
"Gravity"
"The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug"
"Star Trek Into Darkness"
"Iron Man 3"
"The Lone Ranger"

Best sound mixing
"Gravity"
"Captain Phillips"
"Lone Survivor"
"Inside Llewyn Davis"

Best sound editing
"Gravity"
"All Is Lost"
"Captain Phillips"
"Lone Survivor"

Best short film, live action
"Aquel No Era Yo (That Wasn't Me)"
"Avant Que De Tout Perdre (Just Before Losing Everything)"
"Helium"
"Pitaako Mun Kaikki Hoitaa? (Do I Have to Take Care of Everything?)"
"The Voorman Problem"

Best short film, animated
"Feral"
"Get a Horse!"
"Mr. Hublot"
"Possessions"
"Room on the Broom"

Best documentary short
"CaveDigger"
"Facing Fear"
"Karama Has No Walls"
"The Lady in Number 6: Music Saved My Life"
"Prison Terminal: The Last Days of Private Jack Hall"

|  IP: Logged

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 01-17-2014 09:53 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not really any big surprises in any of the major categories. I'm a little disappointed The Book Thief didn't get a nomination for Best Picture or Adapted Screenplay. But I don't think the Academy threw out any curve balls this year.

In the Actor categories, there's usually room to quibble over who got nominated or didn't get nominated, but I think everyone is deserving. The Actress categories are not usually as deep, and I think that's why they often have a nomination that sort of comes out of left field.

Steve Matz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-17-2014 10:05 PM      Profile for Steve Matz   Email Steve Matz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope Bruce Dern gets Best Actor; I followed that guy from back in the 60's playing Western Badguys and Outlaw Biker Films along with Wife Diane Ladd.

A lot of that Film"NEBRASKA" was shot right here in BILLINGS. [beer]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-17-2014 10:56 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My profile says I have a post here. I don't see it. Oh well here it is again:

People have been saying that soooo many good movies came out this year. I've only seen one of the movies that have been nominated in any category. Iron Man 3. It sucked.

I've heard nothing but shitty things about American Hustle. Surprised it got nominated. Even if it wins it won't be the best picture of the year. Hopefully I will not be forced to watch the awards show since it's basically the industry congratulating itself.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 01-17-2014 11:36 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Matz
I hope Bruce Dern gets Best Actor; I followed that guy from back in the 60's playing Western Badguys and Outlaw Biker Films along with Wife Diane Ladd.
Bruce Dern is definitely a sentimental favorite in the Best Actor category, but I think Matthew McConaughy is all but a given for his performance in Dallas Buyers Club. Jared Leto is even more of a lock for the Best Supporting Actor award in the same movie.

I'll be pretty disappointed if Gravity doesn't win the Best Sound Mixing and Best Sound Editing Oscars (that Atmos mix was incredible). Gravity also has good chances to win the Oscars for Visual Effects, Editing and Original Score (the surround oriented music played a more dramatic role in the sound mix). Sandra Bullock has a outside chance at the Best Actress Oscar, but I think Amy Adams is going to win.

At this point I think American Hustle will probably take the most top prizes (Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actress, Best Original Screenplay).

12 Years A Slave could end up being a "dark horse" (no pun intended) winner for Best Picture. Given Hollywood politics, I would be surprised if David O. Russell didn't win both the DGA award and Best Director Oscar, even if 12 Years A Slave wins the top award. Russell has more history in Hollywood than Steve McQueen III.

I think the Best Supporting Actress Oscar will be a toss-up between Jennifer Lawrence in American Hustle and Lupita Nyong'o in 12 Years A Slave.

Her has an outside shot at the Best Original Screenplay award, but I think Oscar voters will think more conventionally and choose American Hustle. In the Best Adapted Screenplay category I think 12 Years A Slave is the front runner.

The Cinematography category is a real puzzler. The Grandmaster and Inside Llewyn Davis were both shot on film, which is a plus for me. The live action elements of Gravity were shot mostly with the Arri Alexa, but the Arri 765 65mm film camera was also used for some shots (the finished product was a 2K 3D digital image however). Nebraska was shot with the Arri Alexa, but tried real hard to mimic black and white film. I didn't think the cinematography in Prisoners was all that impressive (decent movie though).

The Great Gatzby is the sort of film that shouldn't have any trouble picking up Production Design and Costume Design awards.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-18-2014 05:48 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby
The Great Gatzby is the sort of film that shouldn't have any trouble picking up Production Design and Costume Design awards.
Why would you say that for costume design? Just take clothes that people wore at the time and put the actors in them. The end! Certainly nothing magical or extraordinary about that. Oh they have to build the costumes? Big deal they already have a template from which to directly copy.

EDIT: The Onion said it best:

The Great Gatsby (Best Costume Design): Voters are certain to be won over by the film’s daring choice of dressing its actors in period-appropriate attire

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 01-18-2014 07:03 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm only saying The Great Gatsby will probably pick up the Production Design and Costume Design awards because the Oscar voters are just that predictable. Lots of period piece movies have won those awards before.

Honestly, all the other movies in the Costume Design category are period piece movies. The costumes in The Great Gatzby are just a little more flamboyant than those of the other movies. But, who knows? The Grandmaster could end up winning the award.

Terry Lynn-Stevens
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-18-2014 07:10 PM      Profile for Terry Lynn-Stevens   Email Terry Lynn-Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am happy that Tom Hanks is not nominated for either of his movies he was in this year.

The Best Picture category should be 5 movies and not 9 or 10 movies.

I was a little shocked that Bad Grandpa got a nomination.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 01-18-2014 07:24 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
Why would you say that for costume design? Just take clothes that people wore at the time and put the actors in them.
As someone once said about Edith Head: She wins Oscars for remembering how people dressed when she started in the biz.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-18-2014 08:47 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've always thought the costume design award was for accuracy and attention to detail. If you look at the "goofs" section of just about any period movie on its IMDB page, you'll see things like "The buttons on the father's coat are way bigger than coat buttons of that time; that style of button didn't appear until 20 years later" and that kind of thing.

Tom Hanks certainly deserved to be nominated for Captain Phillips. He did a great job as Walt Disney in Saving Mr. Banks, but that was a relatively minor role. The acting field was just really crowded this year...Hanks probably got enough votes to put him in 6th place. Hanks' already being a two-time winner probably cost him a few votes.

Pravin Ratnam
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-18-2014 08:49 PM      Profile for Pravin Ratnam   Email Pravin Ratnam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like Spike Jonez movies. Haven't seen HER yet. But it looks like a lesser version of his and Charlie Kaufman's movies from more than a decade ago.

American Hustle- I loved it. Entire cast was great in it and a damn good job by David Russell. I think he is deserving of best director.

For me the stars of Gravity are really the director and the technical crew.

12 Years a Slave a worthy best pic nominee thanks to the source material.
I want to watch Nebraska.

Best song nominees, as usual, look boring. They need to put a max limit on kids movie songs getting nominated.

Regarding the costume design discussion Bobby was engaged in, what about the costume on Amy Adams in American Hustle? [thumbsup]

Terry Lynn-Stevens
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2014 08:25 AM      Profile for Terry Lynn-Stevens   Email Terry Lynn-Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Pravin Ratnam

For me the stars of Gravity are really the director and the technical crew.

I would like to see the director award go to Alfonso Cuarón, I think this year is going to be another one of those years where the Oscars are all spread out so somehow every big movie wins something somewhere.

I don't know what the odds are, but the chances of Gravity winning best picture are likely next to impossible without a screenplay nomination. Not sure what the odds are for director without screenplay.

I was taken a bit back by the Cate Blanchet SAG win.

quote: Pravin Ratnam
Best song nominees, as usual, look boring
Totally agree.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 01-19-2014 11:29 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Screen Actors Guild awards more often than not telegraph the Oscar winners in the acting categories. There are exceptions. Viola Davis won the SAG award for The Help two years ago. A few weeks later Meryl Streep picked up the Best Actress Oscar for The Iron Lady.

I'm not too surprised by Cate Blanchett winning the SAG Award for Blue Jasmine. Sometimes Academy voters will give an actor or actress an acting Oscar thinking about their body of work rather than just a specific performance in one movie. John Wayne in True Grit or Paul Newman in The Color of Money are good examples.

Cate Blanchett has been in movies for a fairly long time now and has been in a few big money-makers. She has a decent number of awards nominations, yet only one Oscar (the Best Supporting Actress award for The Aviator). Perhaps the political machinery in Hollywood is on her side this year.

Chances are very slim Meryl Streep is going to get a surprise win like she did 2 years ago. The Iron Lady had only a 51% "Rotten" rating at Rotten Tomatoes. August: Osage County is charting in the 60% range, just barely "fresh." For one thing, Streep didn't win the Golden Globe award (Amy Adams did).

Anyway, it looks like the Best Actress Oscar is going to come down between Amy Adams and Cate Blanchett.

It's no surprise Matthew McConaughy and Jared Leto picked up the Best Actor and Best Supporting Actor SAG awards. Both won the Golden Globe Awards. This makes it a given both will win Oscars. If either doesn't win it would be a really big surprise.

Terry Lynn-Stevens
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2014 03:24 PM      Profile for Terry Lynn-Stevens   Email Terry Lynn-Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to see Roger Deakins get an Oscar, but I think Gravity has the cinematography award locked up.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 01-19-2014 03:46 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
The Screen Actors Guild awards more often than not telegraph the Oscar winners in the acting categories.
The outstanding cast award also is a fairly good indicator of Best Picture.

The DGA is also a fairly good predictor of Best Picture, because the winner of the DGA usually wins the Oscar for Best Director, and Best Director and Best picture usually go to the same movie. Going back to 2000, the Best Director and Best Picture Oscars have gone to the same film 10 out of 14 times.
The exceptions being:
- 2013 Argo won Best Picture, but Ang Lee won director for Life of Pi.
- 2006 Crash won Best Picture, but Ang Lee director won for Brokeback Mountain.
- 2003 Chicago won Best Picture, but Roman Polanski won director for The Pianist.
- 2001 Gladiator won Best Picture, but Steven Soderbergh won director for Traffic.

Over the same period, there were only 3 times the DGA award didn't match the Oscars. Interesting those are also 3 of the 4 years the Academy split on Picture and Director.
- 2013 Ben Affleck DGA, Ang Lee Oscar (Affleck wasn't nominated for Oscar)
- 2003 Rob Marshal DGA, Roman Polanski Oscar
- 2001 Ang Lee DGA, Steven Soderbergh Oscar

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: