Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Caudio Abaddo -- RIP

Author Topic: Caudio Abaddo -- RIP
Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 01-23-2014 12:28 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a story told about the time Leonard Bernstein and Claudio Abaddo met in Manhattan for dinner and during the meal Lenny joked that during synagogue one Saturday, he got a revelation; he said that God told him he was the greatest living conductor, to which Abaddo, without missing a beat replied, "I certainly said no such thing."

Adaddo conducting Mahler's Sym 5

|  IP: Logged

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 01-23-2014 06:00 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gosh! I didn't think he was that old, but according to Wikipedia he was 82. I heard him at the Proms conducting the Berlin Philharmonic in the late '80s or early '90s in an all Brahms concert: piano concerto #2 with Ivo Pogorelich as the soloist in the first half, and symphony #4 in the second. Yet another giant from the heyday of the classical LP era has now gone.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 01-23-2014 08:03 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was a sophomore in high school when Arturo Toscanini died in 1957 and It seemed a very good friend had passed away. I have heard a lot of his concerts with the NBC Symphony Orchestra on radio and saved my lunch money so I could buy his recording of the complete symphonies of Beethoven and I still have it along with many other recordings of his. I felt just about the same when other great classical music artist such as Bernstein, Rise Stevens, Robert Merrill,, Georg Solti, Fritz Reiner, Robert and Gaby Casadesus, Eugene Ormandy and many others left us. I

I also felt the same when modern composers such as Igor Stravinsky, Aram Khachaturian and Aaron Copland whom I had the pleasure of seeing conduct the Honolulu Symphony many years ago when I was a season subscriber, pass away

-Claude

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: