Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » How long will Fallon last? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: How long will Fallon last?
Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 02-01-2014 10:20 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm giving him 3 months max.

|  IP: Logged

Pravin Ratnam
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-01-2014 10:32 PM      Profile for Pravin Ratnam   Email Pravin Ratnam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He will last long. He is a really good performer with music skits. He relates to the guests well. He has Leno's geniality which can win over the older audience and he knows how to deal with younger pop singers connecting him to the young audience.

Then again, I stopped watching late night shows 20 years ago on a regular basis because they are so bland(except for a few Conan shows when he used to have pimpbot, Triumph and other skits). I usually catch the viral type clips on the internet.

I think networks value the Tonight show brand more than the common viewer these days. So it's not like a momentous decision anymore.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 02-02-2014 03:34 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If they only give him 3 months, then they're idiots because even Leno took longer than that to get decent ratings when he took over from Carson.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 02-02-2014 11:07 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fallon will last at least a few years, if not a couple decades or longer. I was skeptical he would be able to replace Conan on the Late Night show, but he pulled that off well.

Fallon might get off to a bumpy start on the Tonight Show, but I think he'll hit his stride and own the show by Summer. He was one of the funniest SNL cast members in recent years. And he has a pretty likable air about him.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-02-2014 11:19 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like him better than Leno actually. He has proved he can tone down his act for the earlier time slots. I think he'll do well.

Unless Leno decides he wants to come back of course! [Wink]

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 02-02-2014 12:05 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My understanding is NBC is forcing Leno out in favor of the younger Fallon.

Leno was pretty funny back in the day. But he's not David Letterman and he sure isn't Johnny Carson. I don't see CBS making David Letterman take a walk; Letterman will retire when he feels like leaving. Johnny Carson owned the Tonight Show. He had so much clout NBC couldn't entertain any thoughts about making him leave for a younger host. Johnny could have kept on hosting until he died on air, falling face forward on his desk if he liked.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 02-02-2014 03:17 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Johnny had an unusual contract; he owned the show and NBC contracted. He had total control. NBC erased his old tapes by accident and paid out millions. Louis

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 02-04-2014 08:46 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think Fallon will last either, not because he's not likable and talented enough, but because these are not the same days as two decades ago where network honchos were smart enough to weather the slumps that changes such as these ususally cause in ratings. Today they are spineless instant gratificationers with chickenshit for balls. Rating will spike when everyone watches to see what the Fallon hype is all about, and then there will be a slump when the viewers who were only there as curiosity seekers drop away; unfortunately the network exec wusses will run scared in every direction like roaches as they yell, "it wasn't MY idea."

In short more than likely they won't give him the time for the natural audience adjustment to settle in and for the show to find it's niche. Problem still may be that his niche is not broad enough to match Leno's and then he's toast.

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-04-2014 11:07 AM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not a fan of Fallon. But I've got a lot of friends, all in their 20s, that really like him.

Most of them are also excited that Seth Myers is getting a show. They are almost more excited about that.

Me? I'll stick with Dave and Craig. Gosh, I love Craig Ferguson. He's absolutely brilliant.

AJG

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 02-04-2014 11:25 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of substance abuse..

I love his show, a true high wire act. Clean and sober for years, but the threat of relapse is never over it seems.

Edward Havens
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-04-2014 11:49 AM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sixteen years, four months and twenty-one days.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-04-2014 01:25 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why do you know Fallon's "soberness" to the day? Creepy!

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 02-04-2014 02:25 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think he's making a movie reference and not Fallon's actual sobriety date. Might be wrong, though.

Edward Havens
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-04-2014 06:49 PM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The question of this topic is "How long will Fallon last?"

My answer remains the same.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 02-04-2014 07:10 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well played, sir. Well played.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: