Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » American Pickers Episode ?

Author Topic: American Pickers Episode ?
Steve Matz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-05-2014 08:35 PM      Profile for Steve Matz   Email Steve Matz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This may have already been discussed but since I wasn't here please endulge me. A year ago or more I watched an episode of History Channel's "AMERICAN PICKERS" The 2 Pickers were informed of a Women who's father had recently passed away and she wanted to sell his collection of MP Equipment. From what I remember his shop was full of Projectors; mostly Century,but I saw a lot of others also.

He apparently had worked in the Industry as some type of Technician and supposedly worked on Films like "CAPE FEAR"(Deniro Version); there were 35mm Reels marked Cape Fear also.Anyway they bought an old Motiograph from her for a couple hundred dollars.

Now I know these Reality TV Shows have a lot of Stageing,etc. and the Projector Sale may have been Legit. I also believe this women had lost her Father and wanted to sell his Equipment.
Does anybody know who this Gentlemen was and what Position he
had in the MP Industry. My mouth was watering seeing all those Projectors, Films,etc. Since they rarely followup on their Picks; I'm wondering where this place was and if she successfully sold off all the Equipment...s.m.

'
'

|  IP: Logged

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-06-2014 10:14 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, Steve.
I went through the History Channel's American Pickers episode pages and could not locate this one. There were a few episodes listed where they located movie memorabelia (I know I spelled that word wrong) in the Los Angeles region, and one episode where a fellow showed some stuff that came from his family's drive-in theater but the girl selling her dad's collection did not come up. Could be whoever compiled the list for The History Channel skimmed over it.
I did not realize they had so many episodes, with new ones coming...

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2014 08:49 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The episode Steve refers to is from 2010. It was mostly worthless junk consisting of old projector heads, film trims, and somewhat recent 1 sheets. Nothing of great value. They bought some of the junk, and ignored the good stuff.

Christopher Crouch
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-15-2014 10:56 PM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch       Edit/Delete Post 
His name was Bill Goff. His daughter posted about the items and provided contact information on the Cinema Treasures site back in August of 2010. If you go to the blog section of CT and enter "America Pickers" in the search box, you'll be able to find her post.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 02-16-2014 10:12 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another episode featured Tom Byron of Owingsville KY. He had the marquee of the Majestic (Owingsville) in storage. I got most of the projection when it closed. (Century C on RCA soundhead with small exciter bulbs.). Louis

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-16-2014 11:19 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A good customer of mine was First Assistant Camera on Cape Fear. He said the scene shot in the bedroom was the hardest focus pull he ever had to do in his career.

I saw that episoide too.

Mark

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-16-2014 12:20 PM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mitchell Dvoskin
They bought some of the junk, and ignored the good stuff.
And no doubt overpaid too.

I saw the episode and seem to recall recall they put the seller in contact with someone in CA who couild offer an informed opinion.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 02-17-2014 07:02 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to deal with the late Bill Goff. He did projection rentals for corporate, conventions and films….he was the ultimate pack rat.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: