Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Jurassic World (JP IV) shooting in 65MM (partially) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Jurassic World (JP IV) shooting in 65MM (partially)
Geoff Jones
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-06-2014 07:32 PM      Profile for Geoff Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Geoff Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Director Colin Trevorrow tweets:

Honored to be working with cinematographer John Schwartzman on Jurassic World, shooting this April on 35mm and 65mm film. @Kodak @Panavision

https://twitter.com/colintrevorrow/status/431295438356893696

|  IP: Logged

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-06-2014 08:05 PM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome!! [beer]

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 02-06-2014 10:27 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll bet the 65mm work will be similar in method to that used on Gravity -mainly for visual effects plates.

Allan Young
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-07-2014 10:39 AM      Profile for Allan Young   Email Allan Young   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
I'll bet the 65mm work will be similar in method to that used on Gravity -mainly for visual effects plates.
I'm sure I read somewhere that the only use of 65mm in Gravity was for the final scene on Earth.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 02-07-2014 12:27 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's what Wikipedia thinks, and that the final scene was shot on wide film for artistic reasons rather than to capture extra image information to aid the integration of visual effects in post-production.

I'm a bit surprised that this is being shot on a combination of 35 and 65. For a megabucks blockbuster (I'm presuming that the production budget will be well north of $100m), I wouldn't have thought that the increased cost simply of shooting the whole thing on 65 would have been big enough to make the extra logistical costs of using two origination formats (two lots of cameras and lenses, dealing with different labs and scanning facilities, etc.) worth it.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 02-11-2014 05:42 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love how it's always (partially).

My hunch is that if they were finishing on film, they might've gone 65 all the way, to streamline the workflow. But, since they're just "capturing" it doesn't really matter. I suspect it's for effects sequences -- basically, replacing VistaVision's role.

My cynical hunch -- what I *really* believe -- is that shooting "some scenes" in 65mm is the industry's new way of saying "look at how much confidence we have in this movie."

My super-cynical observation -- Spielberg isn't directing. (Not even partially.)

Terry Lynn-Stevens
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-18-2014 05:11 PM      Profile for Terry Lynn-Stevens   Email Terry Lynn-Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Geoff Jones
shooting this April on 35mm and 65mm film.
I think this is going to be a "shot in IMAX" release similar to Catching Fire.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 02-18-2014 05:16 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like the other three JURASSIC PARK films, a good portion of the new film will be shot here in Hawaii on the islands of Kauai and Oahu.

-Claude

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-18-2014 05:42 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Allan Young

I'm sure I read somewhere that the only use of 65mm in Gravity was for the final scene on Earth.

that is correct.

Terry Lynn-Stevens
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-19-2014 11:54 AM      Profile for Terry Lynn-Stevens   Email Terry Lynn-Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Claude S. Ayakawa
Like the other three JURASSIC PARK films, a good portion of the new film will be shot here in Hawaii on the islands of Kauai and Oahu.

It will be nice to see location shooting in Hawaii.

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-19-2014 04:55 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll take this over:

Shot with a Go-Pro on top of Jeff Goldblum's head whilst being chased by a T-Rex.

Now if it's a Go-Pro on top of Jeff Goldblum's head whilst checking out Laura Dern...well that's a different story. [evil]

AJG

Geoff Jones
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-22-2014 10:33 PM      Profile for Geoff Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Geoff Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interestingly, they are also planning to release it with a "very comfortable" 2:1 aspect ratio.

(This is fairly old news, but I hadn't picked up on it until now.)

http://screenrant.com/jurassic-park-4-world-details-cast/

quote:
“We’re shooting 35mm and 65mm film. We’re also using an aspect ratio that hasn’t been seen theatrically in a very long time. The movie will be presented in 2 to 1. It’s basically a middle ground between 2.35 and 1.85. It allows us enough height to fit humans and dinosaurs into a single frame, without giving up that sense of scope. It’s very close to the ratio of the digital IMAX screens, so it will look great in large format. I think other filmmakers will want to give it a try when they see how it looks. It’s very comfortable.”

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-22-2014 10:52 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
What a moron. First he is making up an aspect ratio so the vast majority of screens will have a poor presentation. Second he thinks "digital IMAX" is large format.

Like I said, moron.

Why is Universal trusting such a potentially large movie to a guy that hasn't even proven himself on anything yet (and is clearly a moron, as stated)? Just look at this guy's IMDB page.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 11-22-2014 11:03 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So it will fit neither a scope or a flat screen...

Shawn M. Martin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-23-2014 12:02 AM      Profile for Shawn M. Martin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose this means the 35mm material is Super 35 rather than anamorphic. I can't see the point of chopping off the sides of a scope image, but then I can't see the point of this stupid decision either.

This ratio has been used before, by the DP Vittorio Storaro, for his "Univision/Univisium" format, essentially 3-perf Super 35. He even reframed some of the anamorphic movies he shot (Apocalypse Now, The Last Emperor) to this ratio on DVD. Fool.

There was also a French movie from 2012, "Les Seigneurs", that did the same thing. The 2:1 image was letterboxed within 1.85 on both the 35mm prints and DCP.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: