Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Shirley Temple has died, aged 85

Author Topic: Shirley Temple has died, aged 85
Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 02-11-2014 05:06 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
web page

Former Hollywood child star Shirley Temple has died at the age of 85.

The actress found fame as a young girl in the 1930s in films like Bright Eyes, Stand Up and Cheer and Curly Top.

After retiring from films in 1950 at the age of 21, Temple returned to the public eye as a Republican candidate for Congress and as a US diplomat.

She died on Monday at home in Woodside, California, from natural causes. "She was surrounded by her family and caregivers," a statement said.

|  IP: Logged

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2014 07:01 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's about 4:30am (US-Pacific) as I type this.
This news hasn't hit the local media websites yet, even though Shirley
Temple lived about 30mi south of here, in a very exclusive community.

In the mid 1990's I used to run films in the private projection room for the CEO
of some big company who was her neighbor. I saw her once or twice, from
a distance. (She was in a wheelchair at that time) One time I waved to her,
and she gave a big smile that I'll never forget, and waved back.

(and, "no", I never ran a Shirly Temple movie at that CEO's house.
He was REALLY into WWII stuff & war documenteries in general)

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2014 10:48 AM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If there was a definition of Hollywood legend, she'd be at the top of the list.

Someone who made a lot of people smile. RIP

AJG

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-11-2014 01:07 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, she's yet another example of a celebrity death by someone who I thought was already dead.

My sisters used to love to watch her movies on TV when we were kids. As a result, I was not a fan and to this day I don't really see why she was SUCH a big deal. But....RIP anyway.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 02-11-2014 04:05 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good job Roman Polanski wasn't around and in the biz when she was a child star!

Temple must be one of very few, if not the only child star who then went on to a high-profile, high-powered career in a totally different line of work in adult life. RIP.

Pravin Ratnam
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2014 10:41 PM      Profile for Pravin Ratnam   Email Pravin Ratnam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, there has always been people like Polanski in Hollywood. I think I read in one of the Shirley bios in some bookstore that a couple of Hollywood studio top level execs either groped her or made unwanted advances towards her when she was 15 or 16.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 02-12-2014 05:33 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen or heard anything of her for many years. The BBC news page has a picture of her receiving an award. If they've got the date right she would have been 77 at the time, and if that's the case she was looking very good for her age; she looks younger than I do and I'm 56 now.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 02-12-2014 11:04 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the last time I actually saw her mentioned in any news coverage was in the context of her work as a diplomat, not an actress. When I read the story, I assumed that she called herself Shirley Temple Black in order to avoid being confused with the child star (not knowing at the time that it's a widespread custom in the US for married women to style themselves [Given Name] [surname you were born with] [husband's surname]), Googled to confirm, and discovered that they were one and the same. If I remember correctly, she played a major role in the Yugoslavian civil war and the Dayton agreement in the '90s.

Pravin - point taken, and it wasn't just the producers. Errol Flynn was reputed to have had an unhealthy interest in little boys, too. And given Bacall's age when she becaome involved with Bogart (not to mention the age gap between them), if anything like that happened now, the media would characterize it as child molestation.

Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2014 12:23 PM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At was Arthur Freed, who was head of musicals at MGM, who hauled it out in front of Temple when she was twelve years old. As the story goes, she giggled at him and he threw her out of his office.

Steve Matz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-13-2014 02:50 AM      Profile for Steve Matz   Email Steve Matz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the Movie"BRIGHT EYES" Shirley's dog is none other than TOTO(wizard of oz)who's real name was Terry at the Time. That was his 1st appearance in the Movies.My Mother who is 3 years older than ST said back in the 30's almost every mother that had a Daughter in that Age Range tried to make them look like Shirley Temple.

She was a Gifted Child Actor and one as well as an Adult. She was like a lot of Popular Child Actors who as they became Teenagers saw their Popularity Fade but as an Adult she accomplished more away from the Screen than most ever did after Stardom.

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-15-2014 04:40 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At Shirley Temple Black's Lifetime Award Ceremony, she addressed the audience, saying,"People ask how do you earn a Lifetime Award?
I tell them to start young." (She began her career at age 3.)

She was born one year before me and my parents took me to see her pictures; we had a blue glass cream pitcher with her picture on it on our kitchen table for decades.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 02-16-2014 10:15 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seemed to be a good person with a charmed life. Louis

Steve Matz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-16-2014 12:00 PM      Profile for Steve Matz   Email Steve Matz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[quote]Seemed to be a good person with a charmed life. Louis[quote]

Very True,By the time she was 6 yrs old she was already a millionaire and had no clue what it was like for most Americans living through the Depression in the 30's. She probably, like kids of that age thought all other kids also lived Charmed Lives.

She was always revered as a Child Star but I never really heard if she was very Generous with her Fortune during that Time to other unfortunate Children of the era. Of Courde her Money was in a Trust so maybe she didn't even know what she was worth...

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 02-21-2014 11:45 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That was then. Now we have Honey Boo Boo.

Who says we are not going to hell in a handbasket?

Pravin Ratnam
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-21-2014 06:23 PM      Profile for Pravin Ratnam   Email Pravin Ratnam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think I read somewhere where her dad invested badly. So while she sitll had some money, she entered adulthood nowhere as rich as she could have been. Not anywhere as criminal as the Gary Coleman's parents though. I always felt that poor guy had every reason to be as bitter as he became. He was shafted in life big time. I still do not understand how Coleman's parents never went to jail.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: