Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Google Glass Trailers

Author Topic: Google Glass Trailers
Michael Putlack
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2014 01:00 PM      Profile for Michael Putlack   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Putlack   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is pretty cool! A app for Glass that plays a movie trailer when you look at the movie's poster!

quote:

Google Glass App Plays Film Trailer Whenever You See a Poster
Research your movie options before buying a ticket.
by Evan Campbell
March 13, 2014

A new Google Glass app will let users watch movie trailers by just glancing at a film poster, according to Variety.

Created by Takahiro Horikawa, the Preview app allows Google Glass users to jump to new posters and view those movie previews. Horikawa reportedly developed the program so people could decide what film they wanted to see after getting to the theater.

Launching the app happens with a simple voice command. Preview then is able to showcase trailers off of movie poster images, and Horikawa demonstrates the app working off an iPad image as well as a film print at a theater. Preview for Glass is now available for the public.

Earlier this year, new mini-games and prescription frames were announced for Google Glass. While the wearable device is still not available to the public, people can sign up for the Glass Explorer program in the meantime.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/03/13/google-glass-app-plays-film-trailer-whenever-you-see-a-poster

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-13-2014 02:10 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That would be ridiculously annoying.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-13-2014 03:09 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Horikawa reportedly developed the program so people could decide what film they wanted to see after getting to the theater.
Also don't most people decide what film they want to see BEFORE they get there? I know we always have a movie in mind before we go to a 'plex.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2014 09:41 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A lot of people don't. Hard to notice at a single screen of course [Smile] . But at the multiplex I worked at we'd get people coming in all the time who just wanted to see a movie. "What's good right now?" or "What do you recommend?" were pretty common questions. We of course trained the staff to not speak negatively about any movie, but instead ask the patron some questions to narrow down the choices, "Are you in the mood for a comedy or drama?" for example.

So yeah, cool idea.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 03-13-2014 11:15 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
Also don't most people decide what film they want to see BEFORE they get there? I know we always have a movie in mind before we go to a 'plex.

One of the most important pieces of advice I got when getting into this biz:
Kids go to the movies. Adults go to a movie.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-14-2014 12:00 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good point. Also I never really thought about "mall" theaters where it can be much more of a spur of the moment thing for people.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 03-14-2014 06:07 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had someone once purchase a ticket then ask me what the movie was about.

A lot of business people would come to that theater because two hotels were within walking distance and a bunch of big corporations either had their offices in part of the same complex or were within a few minute drive. So, we'd regularly get people who were watching a movie only because their flight wasn't for several hours and they'd already checked out of the hotel.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: