Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Movie that scared you the most as a Kid? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Movie that scared you the most as a Kid?
Steve Matz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2014 02:06 AM      Profile for Steve Matz   Email Steve Matz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just curious to see what Horror Film scared you the Most when you were a Kid growing up. The Universal Horror Films of the 30's and 40's were kind of scary but they were on TV and something on a 25inch tube thats not life size isn't the same as a theater screen. Kind of like seeing the Shark in "JAWS" on TV after you saw it on a 40 ft screen.Not as Scary...

The Film that scared me the most was the 1957 American International"I WAS A TEENAGE FRANKENSTEIN" The Mask/Makeup that Actor Gary Conway's Character had after his car wreck was pretty scary for a Little Kid. I think I even got underneath my bed that Night...

-

I was a Teenage Frankenstein-1957...Gary Conway Whit Bissell

|  IP: Logged

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 03-21-2014 02:38 AM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not a movie, but the Star Trek episode "The Devil in the Dark" really scared the hell out of me when I was a little kid.

I would have been almost five years old at the time and I still remember that day very clearly, which shows how much of an impression it made on me. The rock creature came out of the cave and then Kirk started blasting it with his phaser. At that point I turned the television off and I spent the rest of the afternoon curled up in a corner of the living room, afraid to move.

I really enjoy the original Star Trek shows and I was watching them on DVD a few years back when I came across that episode again. Obviously it didn't frighten me at that time, but I did get a very odd feeling when I saw that scene with the rock creature, and to be honest I can't say I'm in any hurry to watch that particular episode again any time soon.

That's one of the few things that I can actually remember happening when I was a really little kid. Funny how stuff like that can make such a big impression.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 03-21-2014 03:59 AM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember being terrified by Poltergeist when I was a kid (around 10-11). And I wouldn't eat steak or chicken for weeks after seeing it. I watched it a couple years ago and it seemed so much more benign than I remember.

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2014 06:22 AM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bambi...no, really...Bambi.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 03-21-2014 07:05 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
House on Haunted Hill in 5th grade.

Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2014 07:24 AM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The movie that scared me most as a kid unnerves me to this very day: Robert Wise's The Haunting from 1963 (NOT to be confused with the horrible 1999 remake). Scared the crap out of me as a young man. The ghost pounding on the walls as it approaches the bedroom where Julie Christie and Claire Bloom are sleeping still makes me turns the lights on. I would have to say that and Jack Clayton's The Innocents from 1961 are probably the two best haunted house movies ever made.

Richard P. May
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2014 09:29 AM      Profile for Richard P. May   Email Richard P. May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When seeing SNOW WHITE AND THE SEVEN DWARFS on a reissue, somewhere, subliminally, when the queen changed to the witch I had a feeling that I had ducked behind the seat sometime in the past for that scene.
Related, but not actually seeing the movie, there was a Life magazine article about THE PICTURE OF DORIAN GRAY. The photos shown made me stay away from that one until way after being a grownup.
Incidentally, visiting the Chicago Museum of Art a few years ago, what did we run into on display but the original of the painting of Dorian at his worst.

Ron Loggins
Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2014 09:43 AM      Profile for Ron Loggins   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Loggins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Creature from the black lagoon. That's the most memorable but I do recall watching way too much "Creature Features with Bob Wilkins" when I was up late on the weekend.

Matthew McBride
Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2014 09:44 AM      Profile for Matthew McBride   Email Matthew McBride   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mine would have to be The Exorcist. I saw it when I was about 8 years old, granted it was on VHS as I was not alive when it came out originally. For whatever reason the combination on the make-up and her spryness on Linda Blair scared the hell out of me. Though this had an interesting effect on me, ever since then there hasn't been a horror movie that has actually scared me. Though I still get those strange vibes, Frank mentioned, anytime I watch The Exorcist, not scared just a weird feeling.

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2014 01:10 PM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This scene from "Riders to the Stars" (1954):

-

I was 8 years old and walking home from the theater (we did that in those days) I kept looking up thinking the body was about to drop out of the sky. I still remember the theater; the Academy on 8th St. SE in Washington, DC. It has been a church for decades.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 03-21-2014 01:16 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. I saw it at a drive-in theater in Yuma, AZ when I was in elementary school. My parents figured my brother and I would just fall asleep in the car. That one gave me nightmares.

I was about the same age when I saw Westworld. It scared me pretty bad then. It was pretty corny when I watched the movie again years later.

Alien and Poltergeist got my heart racing good. The first Nightmare on Elm Street movie had its moments.

Steve Matz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2014 02:18 PM      Profile for Steve Matz   Email Steve Matz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had posted this already on the Thread Projection Booths in the Movies but it's more appropriate for this Thread. I saw this Film a year after the Teenage Frankenstein. I wasn't really scared at Home but as it said in the post; I would always be checking out those Projection Booth Ports. When your just a Kid and your Mind hasn't started to really Mature yet, you can be frightened by some of the Goofiest Things... [puke]

When the original "THE BLOB" came out in 1958(Steve McQueen's first major film role) I was only 9 years old. I remember after seeing the part where the BLOB is coming out the Projection and Viewing Port windows.Everytime I went back to that Theater for the following few weeks I was always looking up at the Projection Ports through out what ever was Playing to make sure nothing was coming out those Ports.

I'm glad I got over that; You miss a lot of the Movie your watching worrying if that OLE BLOB is gonna get you or not..LOL! [uhoh]

-

-

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 03-21-2014 03:49 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"The Other" (1972)

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 03-21-2014 05:07 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At my age, I remember being frightened when I saw UNIVERSAL's THE WOLF MAN in the mid forties on the big screen in a theatre.

-Claude

Geoff Jones
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2014 05:44 PM      Profile for Geoff Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Geoff Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
The first Nightmare on Elm Street movie had its moments.
Scary movies really didn't scare me much as a kid, but I remember being unnerved as I walked home from the theater after that one at dusk when I was 13.

Eight years earlier, I remember getting scared at a much tamer movie. I told my father I wanted to go home just a few minutes after it started. We walked up the aisle and watched from the back for a few minutes until I decided I was willing to stay. After that, I was hooked for life. (Star Wars)

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: