Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Dave Letterman announces he's retiring in 2015

Author Topic: Dave Letterman announces he's retiring in 2015
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-03-2014 04:15 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This news is exploding all over the web, it seems... Letterman will apparently announce on his show tonight that he will retire as host of the "Late Show" at the end of his contract (sometime in 2015).

I will definitely miss Dave. He's got a style all his own. Most of the "Letterman haters" out there, if you ask them, haven't seen his show in years. I hope he doesn't do a Johnny Carson and completely disappear from TV.

What's weird is, a lot of the internet reports I'm seeing credit a guy named Mike Mills, who supposedly is a "bass player for the Late Show," with breaking the news on Twitter. Well, Mike Mills IS a bass player all right, but he was with the band R.E.M. The Late Show's bassist has been Will Lee for a long time.

So, maybe it's not true but I'll bet it is.

|  IP: Logged

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 04-03-2014 06:17 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's true...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9eYkpgeeI8

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-04-2014 01:08 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
That's ashamed to hear the news, but a well deserved retirement for Mr. Letterman. I've always been a fan of him, but then again maybe it's just because I "got" his sense of humor, whereas there are a lot of people who just think he is an ass...he cracks me up.

Dave has tons of great moments, but this one interview he did last year with Bieber is just hilarious in that Letterman way. I doubt the kid will ever go on his show again after this one. [Razz]

Justin Bieber on Letterman

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-04-2014 02:30 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That was a great interview. Dave gives less fucks than most interviewers. He isn't a kiss-ass like Jay Leno was.

One thing I'm happy to see go, however, is Paul Shaffer. I'd even take Kevin Eubanks over Paul Shaffer.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 04-10-2014 12:22 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And the new replacement is announced quickly:
quote:

http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/stephen-colbert-to-replace-david-letterman-1201155423/
The CBS Television Network today announced that Stephen Colbert, the host, writer and executive producer of the Emmy and Peabody Award-winning “The Colbert Report,” will succeed David Letterman as the host of “The Late Show.”

Jarod Reddig
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2014 01:06 AM      Profile for Jarod Reddig   Email Jarod Reddig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sad to see Letterman go. Fn cracked me up everytime. How burned out would a guy get from doing the same talk show gig for that long!? Sure hes ready to find a Top 10 ways to relax after doing the same gig that long. I don't know how they do it but its definitly a talent. Im really liking Jimmy Fallon on The Tonight Show. His Apologie Letters are my fav. You guys like Jimmy?

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 04-13-2014 06:41 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That was not the first time Brad!

Justin Bieber on Letterman show 2

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-13-2014 12:02 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh man that's why Letterman kicks ass. Marie Osmond, disrobing, Europe. I'm betting the kid never had anyone explain the interview to him since he came back for another one in the link I posted. (I didn't see any tattoos in the link you posted and Dave was ribbing him about it on the link I posted.)

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 04-18-2014 09:02 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, Letterman was quite gentle with the kid. I remember when Dave's humor could get very nasty -- funny, but it could really bite. He was pretty restrained with the sixteen chapel bit; he could have easily skewered Bieber, but let it slide. Letterman has gotten more mellow in his later years. Sometimes earlier on, he could be brutal with a guest.

As for Paul Shaffer, he never used to be as incessantly obnoxious with his inane chatter when they were on NBC. When they moved to CBS, the change was so like day and night that I remember thinking, some hot-shot producer must have told Shaffer to "talk it up" and he hasn't stopped since. He never did that on the NBC show. Hearing his mostly unfunny asides spattered throughout the whole show on-mic was almost enough to make me stop watching.

On NBC his relationship to the show was much more like Doc Severinsen's on the Tonite Show, i.e., only saying something when actually addressed directly by Johnny and on-camera, never this maddening jabbering that off-camera that Paul does.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: