Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Google Street View likes me (since I'm on it again)

Author Topic: Google Street View likes me (since I'm on it again)
Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 04-24-2014 12:48 AM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For some reason the URL here doesn't encode here properly, but if you copy-and-paste it, it should work.

The first time Google did their street view thing for Melville a few years back, I saw the Google car drive past me one day and they ultimately posted a picture that included me walking down the street.

I saw the Google car go by last year when I was driving down the same street and now that they have posted the updated pictures, they have my vehicle turning the corner though you can't see me driving it.

There is something wrong with the perspective, though, since a Ford Escape quite a bit larger than it appears in the picture. The picture makes it look like a tiny little car.

|  IP: Logged

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 04-24-2014 10:40 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Google Street View immortalised a saga for me, too.

About two years ago, a new neighbor moved in. Almost her first act after setting foot on the property was to dig up a perfectly nice looking shrub in the front yard, put it in the yard bin and leave it out for collection. However, the bins are emptied by a grabber arm on a truck, which will not work unless the lid of the bin is closed (or almost). This shrub stuck up about three feet above the top of the bin (it was almost double the height of the bin itself), and so the truck couldn't empty it.

The bin, with the shrub sticking out of it, was out there for about six months. This was despite the refuse collection company, the HOA and virtually everyone else in the street telling her that she needed to cut it up into sections and put it in the bin such that the lid closed properly. The thing became nicknamed Letisha's bush (sounds like the title of a drab and worthy feminist novel, with at least 700 pages, that students might be assigned in a women's studies class, doesn't it?). No-one really knows how the situation was resolved - presumably she got the message one day - but eventually it disappeared.

Needless to say, towards the end of the saga of Letisha's bush, when it was dried out and looking gross and disgusting, the Google camera car visited the development. The image has been on Street View ever since.

-

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-24-2014 11:42 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder how often Google updates the views? The one of my house is from September of last year. I'm glad they came through when things were green (and the lawn had been mowed!)

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 04-24-2014 10:13 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Letisha's bush was on display in all its infamous glory from about April to September 2012, and so the Google Street View images of our street are at least a year and a half old.

I also wonder if they have a regular rephotographing schedule or if they only do it if something happens to change the appearance of a street significantly. In the case of ours, apart from the odd house being repainted and the look of the cars parked in the driveways, it will barely have changed at all since the development went up in 1984 (partly because there's an HOA that enforces appearance rules quite strictly - or at least tried to, in her case!). But for a busy city center street where store units are changing hands all the time, and buildings are going up, being refurbished and coming down frequently, I'd guess that you'd have to rephotograph them at least annually to make sure that a visitor would be sure of recognizing where they were from looking at a Street View pic.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 04-25-2014 02:34 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I wonder how often Google updates the views? The one of my house is from September of last year. I'm glad they came through when things were green (and the lawn had been mowed!)
At my mom and dad's house, they got it mid-summer and the grass was brown but mowed. [Smile]

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 04-25-2014 08:31 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Leo Enticknap
Letisha's bush was on display in all its infamous glory
The Google cars have managed to photograph naked people into Street View, even people having sex in public.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: