Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Worlds Smallest 3D Glasses

Author Topic: Worlds Smallest 3D Glasses
Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 04-28-2014 12:17 AM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -
quote:
British neuroscientists recently outfitted praying mantises with a little pair of 3-D glasses. They wanted to see if the insects can be tricked by 3-D images — like humans watching a blockbuster in 3D.

Praying mantises have stereoscopic vision, unlike most invertebrates. This makes them sophisticated hunters, and ideal subjects for a team from Newcastle University led by vision scientist Jenny Read. By putting 3-D glasses on the mantises and faking them out, Reid and her colleagues want to learn how the insect’s vision differs from ours. Hat tip Engadget.

“hat could open up all kinds of possibilities to create much simpler algorithms for programming 3-D vision into robots,” said Vivek Nityananda, a neuroscience research associate working with Read, in a university press release.

To conduct the vision testing, the scientists attach what the university says are the world’s tiniest pair of 3-D glasses to an insect using beeswax. Then the mantis is placed in front of computer monitor that displays images in 3D. One image is a circle that appears to be an object coming right at the insect, intended to elicit a strike. Afterward, the glasses are taken off and the mantis goes back to a room where it gets fed.

If the researchers can fool the praying mantises into making errors in judgment about depth, it will prove that they actually are judging 3D, Nityananda explained in a short video. All for the sake of creating robots with better vision. Fortunately there are rules governing robotics and ethics, otherwise I’d worry about a real Terminator in our future.

Praying Mantises Given World's Tiniest 3-D Glasses

|  IP: Logged

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 04-28-2014 12:58 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He hated it. He said it was way too dark.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 04-28-2014 10:16 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh! Look! Another untapped advertising demographic!

Steve Moore
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-28-2014 01:08 PM      Profile for Steve Moore   Email Steve Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought there was a lot of small people sat in my local 3D cinema, last week. How I know who (or what) they were!

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-28-2014 01:10 PM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I call dibs on any patent of 3D contact lenses.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 04-28-2014 01:59 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Praying mantis erotica would always be a snuff film.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: