Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Dual groove records (and other vinyl tricks) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Dual groove records (and other vinyl tricks)
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-06-2014 04:54 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Lazaretto Ultra LP

Cool stuff.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2014 05:18 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are more like this.

What made the Monty Python record so tricky was that there was no indication on the disc jacket that there were two different tracks on one side. I had the disc and noticed that the side seemed especially short. I was sure surprised later to hear an entirely different program!

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-06-2014 07:27 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In a similar-yet-different vein, there was a three-sided LP by Joe Jackson called "Big World" which contained two LP disks, one of which had a blank side. He wasn't exactly a big seller at that time so I was surprised that his label would go to the expense of doing that.

Another vinyl trick I remember is laser-imprinted graphics on LPs. Two I remember with the treatment included Styx's "Paradise Theatre" and "Waiata" by Split Enz. The process would imprint color shifting graphics on one side of the record, but it didn't affect the sound (or it wasn't supposed to -- there were some copies that were noisy).

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2014 08:00 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This isn't exactly 'new' technology.
When I was a kid I remember my folks gave me a book that had 4 short stories
in it and came with a "magic record". You would follow along with the pictures
in the book as you listened to someone reading the story (with sound efx & music).
As there were 4 stories in the book, each side of the record was 'dual grooved'.

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2014 08:00 PM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the Monty Python Matching Tie And Handkerchief record! It's Groovy! [Smile]

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 05-06-2014 10:35 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Phonograph discs playing from the inside out has been done before, too. Although consumer records were only ever recorded that way as a novelty, Vitaphone discs always played from the inside out. I've never heard a definitive explanation as to why, though the best guess seems to be that the sync mark (the point on the lead-in groove where you put the stylus with the film leader's start frame in the gate before interlocking the projector and turntable) was easier to see that way.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-07-2014 11:02 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was told that the reason that vitaphone and radio transcription disks played from the centre out was that the linear speed at the centre of the disk is slower and as such had a poorer frequency response compared to the outer edge and since they used a new stylus each disk that when new had a good response and as the disk played wore down and was poorer so one corrected the other

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 05-07-2014 01:26 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks. According to Wikipedia, the reason was to improve tracking accuracy (i.e. reduce the risk of the needle jumping, I guess) on the inner grooves rather than audio quality. The audio quality reason only makes sense if the groove pitch was cut the same throughout the disc. Certainly on a consumer record (even '20s and '30s shellac ones) this wasn't the same: the cutting lathe gradually increased the pitch the nearer to the center you got, to maintain an even frequency response throughout the running time of the side. I know that Vitaphone tried to reduce surface noise by using a softer shellac/filler compound than was typically used for consumer records, hence the requirement for a new steel needle for each playing, and the reason why Vitaphone discs had check boxes on the label and each side was only supposed to be played a couple of dozen times before the record was discarded. Maybe the softer substrate made it impossible to vary the groove pitch on a Vitaphone mastering for some reason.

Incidentally, when sound on disc was in its death throes in the early '30s (after it had been abandoned for production but distributors were still pressing discs because of contractual obligations to theaters that had installed equipment), several distributors tried to save money by pressing standard 12" discs on the same substrate used for consumer ones - they were pressed by the same plants. They still played from the inside out and ran at 33.3 RPM, though. I've got one record consisting of two reels of The Private Life of Henry VIII in my collection and, as you'd expect, the audio quality on it is horrid - let's just say it has a noise-to-signal ratio! I suspect that one of the reasons they were pressing cheap and nasty records towards the end was as a subtle way to persuade the remaining sound-on-disc theaters to buy optical heads.

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-07-2014 09:35 PM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to service an analog record cutting studio. The chip or thread that came from the cutter is very combustible. Since the thread collects in the center of the disc, starting there keept the chip away from the cutter. To reduce the noise from the groove this studio used a heated cutter so the chance for a fire was very real. When cutting from the outside in, there was a vacuum collector to pick up the chip.

Those were the days!

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 05-07-2014 11:25 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Groovy! [Big Grin]

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 05-07-2014 11:52 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Kenneth Wuepper
The chip or thread that came from the cutter is very combustible.
Nitrocellulose lacquer - the same stuff as nitrate film, basically, and it's still what's used to cut the master.

Coincidentally, one of the last remaining manufacturers of lacquer master blanks, if not the last, in the US is located about 20 miles up the road from me, in Banning, CA.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-08-2014 12:52 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
MAD Magazine issued a 7inch sheet vinyl record, pressed by Evatone, that had four sets of grooves to play different content from the one track.

In the 1950's Emory Cook, of Cook Recordings produced an interesting way to play binaural (stereo) records: A dual tone arm setup that each arm played its assigned groove that was pressed on the vinyl.

The vinyl had two sets of grooves per each tonearm.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 05-08-2014 07:51 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Back to Vitaphone: why were the disks single-sided? Was it just to reduce confusion (so that the operator would not accidentally re-play the sound for an earlier reel without flipping the disk?

As for inside-out grooves being unpopular on consumer records: this might be partially because many consumer turntables have an auto-stop mechanism that will stop the turntable and raise the stylus at the end of the disk. Since the auto-stop function only works when the stylus is on the innermost grooves of the record, it would not function properly on an inside-out disk and there is a good chance that the stylus could just fly off the end of the record if the anti-skate adjustment were not set properly.

The Eva-Tone flexible disks are just awful. They only really work right when taped to a standard record and the quality degrades significantly with each play. Most have improperly centered holes, too.

Do they still make large-hole 45RPM 7" disks of popular songs for jukeboxes? That business was alive and well for the entire decade of the '90s, at least. Or are modern jukeboxes just glorified Ipods?

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 05-08-2014 10:16 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Single-sided Vitaphone discs could have been to avoid confusion, though I'm wondering if there was print-through / audio quality issue instead or as well.

The substrate of 78s for sale to consumers was a proprietary cocktail consisting of shellac, a resin and a filler. Each pressing plant used its own cocktail. The harder the compound used, the more durable they were (i.e. the more playings they would withstand). The softer the compound, the less surface noise there was (hence a better s/n ratio), and, although this benefit was very marginal, the disc was slightly more difficult to break accidentally. However, a softer compound meant the record wore out more quickly, too - even under ideal playing conditions, pre-microgroove records had an expected lifetime of only a few dozen playings before you started to hear them deteriorate. An acoustic phonograph pickup had a tracking weight measured in pounds, and a pre-microgroove electric one in ounces. Nowadays, 5 grams is considered heavy!

Different manufacturers went for different compromises on the durability vs. audio quality trade-off. That's why you'll hear a lot less surface noise on a 1930s Columbia than you will on an HMV assuming that both are in a similar state of wear, but it's also why good Columbias are harder to find when sifting through the record section in the thrift store.

Vitaphone took an extreme approach to this problem, using a very soft compound to maximise sound quality. They figured that for a recording to be played back to 2,000 people in a prestige theater, the extra cost of replacing a record every 24 playings was worth it. That having been said, I don't know if pressing single-sided records was because of print-through issues in pressing that compound double-sided, or, as you say, to avoid confusion resulting in the wrong side being played.

I do know that as sound-on-disc withered on the vine, economies were made: first the records went double-sided, then 12-inch. At some point the mixture became tougher, too, so that the record was supposed to last the lifetime of the reel of print it came with, unless it was accidentally broken. Towards the end, one or two distributors (I forget which ones) experimented with early vinyl, too, to avoid the breakage risk.

quote: Scott Norwood
As for inside-out grooves being unpopular on consumer records: this might be partially because many consumer turntables have an auto-stop mechanism...
Good point. I once had a Goldring Lenco GL78, which was the only hifi turntable (as distinct from cheap record player with integrated amp and speakers) I ever came across that had an auto-arm lift mechanism. It couldn't cope with 8" and 7" 78s with the tiny labels - the arm would lift with about 20 seconds of playing time still to go.

quote: Scott Norwood
Do they still make large-hole 45RPM 7" disks of popular songs for jukeboxes? That business was alive and well for the entire decade of the '90s, at least. Or are modern jukeboxes just glorified Ipods?
The only newly pressed records I ever buy are LPs (and even then very rarely, because used ones that can be restored to near-new condition merely by washing in a distilled water and IPA solution of the sort of music I like can still be had for next to nothing), so I don't know. Originally, the large hole was an RCA patent, and the small hole (same size as in LPs) Columbia. RCA originally produced turntables (like this one), that would play a box set of 45s, in which an entire symphony or jazz concert was split into four-minute chunks. I've got a few of these sets, and subjectively to me, the audio quality of them is far better than that of the really early Columbia LPs.

Record-playing jukeboxes, however, seem to be acquiring a sort of retro chic. Someone I knew back in York ran a cafe that had a 1930s vintage jukebox that played 10" 78s. It had sat inactive for many years (she regarded it as a piece of curiosity furniture, basically) before she asked me if it could be coaxed back to life. I was astonished to find that the machine-specific spares I needed to do this - some styli, some bulbs and two tubes, basically - were easily available on Ebay. Properly restored jukeboxes from this era go for four figures, and records to play on them in good condition seem to be creeping up in price, too. The only problem with my friend's machine was that the coin acceptor took farthings (a type of British coin that ceased to be legal tender in 1961, and which was worth a quarter of a pre-decimalisation penny, or one 960th of a pound!), and so she had to put it on free play.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 05-09-2014 03:06 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
C'mon guys almost all records have two grooves; one on each side. These are 3 or 4 groove records!!!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: