Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Computer mouse and keyboard preferences (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Computer mouse and keyboard preferences
Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 05-11-2014 06:59 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It would be interesting to find out what you folks prefer in the way of computer keyboards and mice. I have been using Microsoft Natural keyboards pretty much since the first ones were released, originally a MS Natural Keyboard Elite and now a 4000 model since the Elite requires a keyboard connector that no longer exist on most modern motherboards. The "funny looking" split keyboard is just the thing for typing on; the only thing that I wasn't a big fan of (though I seem to have gotten used to it now since it doesn't bother me any more) is the action of the space bar on the 4000 model.

Up to last week I was using a MS wireless optical mouse 2000. I actually had two of them, but the buttons wore out on one of them a few months ago and then the same thing happened to the other one, so now I have a Logitech M510 mouse that seems to work rather well. I'm planning to get another one of the same thing shortly, as well. It seems to have an even more precise movement than the MS mouse did. The only change that I see is a recommendation in the manual to use a light-coloured mouse pad with it since a dark coloured one will shorten the life of the battery.

|  IP: Logged

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 05-11-2014 07:24 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My absolute favorite keyboards were those old IBM keyboards. Those keyboards were virtually indestructible, you could go troll hunting with them and they would still work flawlessly afterwards. Unfortunately, they never made it into the USB age... and yes, I even operated one of them using a DIN-(whatever)>PS/2>USB construction.

I'm currently using the Logitech Washable Keyboard K310. It doesn't have the nicest "feel" to your fingers, but it is easy to keep clean, because those keyboards can become quite a nest of nasty stuff...

My mouse is a simple Logitech M100. It's nothing fancy, but it works and is rather cheap. I also got a spare.

Personally, I have developed a visceral hate regarding wireless peripherals. I will also tell you why [evil] .

- Security! Ever since I witnessed text typed of a colleague of mine ending up on my screen I'm pretty aware that security of wireless devices stinks. Maybe it's not a real issue for mice, but for keyboards it most definitely is.
- Batteries! Besides being an additional cost and additional waste, those things always run out when you least expect it.
- And what's the use for a wireless mouse or keyboard on a desktop computer anyway? Are you going to use it 15 ft away from your computer?

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 05-11-2014 07:45 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm partial to the Logitech laser mice. I think I use the M510 at home, and I have a simpler one at work.

I don't really have a preference on keyboards, mainly because I don't really use the extra function keys. However, I usually wind up getting Logitech keyboards. I have used one of the MS natural keyboards and didn't mind it after I got used to it, but I didn't love it either.

Generally speaking, I've found the Logitech devices last longer and perform better than the Microsoft counterparts. Especially the mice.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 05-11-2014 07:52 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I don't like the MS Natural keyboards. Their layout conflicts with my somewhat broken 6.4 finger typing technique.

On the other hand, I do know a few people that swear by the layout. Some claim that it prevents RSI from happening, but in my humble opinion, it's not the keyboard that causes RSI like symptoms, it's that goddamn mouse.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 05-11-2014 07:54 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Deleted

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 05-11-2014 07:55 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer the Kensington Turbo Pro Mouse trackball. Not sure if they still make the models I use (one at home, one at work). They take a bit of getting used to, but once you are habitualized, they are great. And they stay in one place on the desk, so no having to have clear space to move a mouse around.

edit: Just looked online and they must be collectors items (or there are really stupid people) there is one selling at The University Store for $599.99 (model 64214). I think they were $100 when I bought mine. Others are more reasonably priced, but there are still some going for over $300. Don't spend that much [evil]

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 05-11-2014 09:07 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can still get the IBM clicky keyboards, but not from IBM. That division was sold off and is now called Unicomp. The keyboards that they sell are effectively the same as the IBM versions and are made on the same equipment. Their "customizer 101" is indeed my favorite keyboard and is available in a USB version (and is one of the few USB keyboards that is available without "Windows keys"...although they make a version with those as well).

My preference in mice is for a 3-button optical mouse with no scroll wheel. As far as I can tell, the only currently available USB model that meets this requirement is the HP DY651A, which is what I use. It works well and is a bargain at $12.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 05-12-2014 01:06 AM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with those who think a wireless keyboard is silly. After all, it sits on the desk and doesn't move so having it wireless is really unnecessary.

A wireless mouse, on the other hand, is really nice since you don't have to drag that cable around everywhere.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-12-2014 01:09 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Another vote for Logitech laser mice. They are the best I've found without being stupidly shaped and causing carpel tunnel.

Dell makes a really nice quiet keyboard. Apple makes godawful keyboards. No shape to the buttons at all and no notches on the home keys, so you can't just drop your hands down and start typing, you have to remind yourself you're using a fancy schmantzy iProduct and as such you have to stop, look down at the keyboard, carefully position your hands, then make sure you don't move them in the least bit while you type. Stupid!!!

Edward Havens
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-12-2014 01:15 AM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Apple MacBook Pro keyboard and trackpad.

Christopher Crouch
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-12-2014 02:09 AM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch       Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer mechanical keyboards (i.e. individual switches under the keys, rather than the, now standard, membrane design). Not for the gaming precision/speed they are generally marketed for these days, but for their tactile nature/feel. Likely the result of my formative years being spent on typewriters and "old school" computers, I prefer keys to have some travel and the obligatory clunk noise when I'm typing. So, I'm a non gamer who usually ends up buying aftermarket gamers' keyboards.

In contrast to my dated taste in keyboards, I prefer wireless laser mice.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 05-12-2014 09:52 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gateway used to make a really nice keyboard that had a programable feature that you could create macro sequences of up to 64 keystrokes. I found it came in VERY handy much more than I ever thought it would. It also had a reassignable feature that you could make any key type any letter, so you could create something other than a QWERTY keyboard. The thing was clunky and bigger than today's keyboards but it was solid, had clicky feedback and perfect cup shaped keys which your fingers natually fit into. But of course that was many years ago when Gateway still dominated the PC industry.

Now I try to find keyboards for home that have good tactile feel when you press the keys, if not actually clicky feedback, at least a good sense that you actually pressed something. The few Apple keyboards that I've had to work on seemed to be just the opposite -- NO feedback and no real sense that the key are designed for your fingers to fit into.

I do like wirless mice. It really bothers me when the cord catches on something which easily happens on the cluttered desk at work. The single AAA battery seems to last forever in them too. I am not too particular about all the fancy shapes....just a mouse that fits naturally in your palm. I tried the roller ball units and never could get the feel of them or the coordination. The IT Dept at work sent over a bunch of cheap but functional wired mice which have a translucent white shell and a VERY bright blue LED inside which makes the whole thing glow like a neon ball. Two people got them and immediately everyone in the office demanded they get them. Seems cool sometimes trumps most everything else.

One computer I work on alot was outfitted with wireless keyboard. Those worse thing about them is that they don't have any of the usual indication lites that tell you when the Cap Lock key has been activated (or any of the other toggle keys). This is REALLY annoying when you need to enter passwords, especially the ones that don't warn you that your "Cap Lock is on." And worse, the damn key is idioically located below the Tab key, which you usually use to move from the UserID field down to the Password field and too often accidently kick in the Cap Lock -- now you're typing your password in caps and of course you don't know that and it will fail. On a wireless keyboard they only way to know if you've engaged it is to go back to the UserID box and type in it. I finally got so pissed at that happening that I actually pulled the Cap Lock key right out of the keyboard. Besides, how often do you need to type in all caps anyway? Pretty infrequently I would bet. And why do they need that infrequently used key to be sized so big? And located of all places above the super frequently used Shift key of all places. Who designs these things anyway?!

Years ago I saw a "keyboard" invention that was designed to be used in offices where a person needed to have one hand free to do phone work while entering information on the computer. The thing consisted of nothing but a softball sized unit that rested on the desk. The operator rested the hand on top of the ball which had finger length grooves in it, one for each of your fingers. Each of the finger rests had clickable hinges much like the buttons on a standard mouse. You "typed" on this thing by pressing combinations of keys to get the letters you needed, much like a stenographer. Of course the operator needed to learn all the sequences for each letter, but I assume once you mastered that, you could type with one hand, the other hand used for making telephone calls. I only saw one of these typing balls; never used it, but thought it was an intersting concept if the learning curve wasn't to steep.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 05-12-2014 11:43 AM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I exchange the positioning of the caps lock and left-ctrl key, so my caps lock key is now located on the bottom row of the keyboard and the ctrl key is right beside the A, and under the tab key.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-12-2014 11:57 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to know what idiot ever thought of putting the "num lock" key right above the 7 key on every keyboard I have. Probably about once a day I will hit the "num lock" by accident and be halfway through whatever I'm entering before I realize it. The thing should be an inch or more away from any number, IMHO.

I do like the wireless keyboard/mouse combos. At the theater we tend to eat dinner in the boxoffice many nights, so it's nice to be able to move the keyboard off of the countertop. (Very small counter!) At my day job I have an office and a countertop that face each other and there are specific jobs I do at each, so when I need to work at the countertop I can swivel the monitor around and move the keyboard and mouse to where I need to work. (I agree they go through batteries too fast.)

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 05-12-2014 12:08 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I learned to type numbers efficiently on my Commodore 64, mostly when entering programs from the listings published in Compute! magazine which generally consisted of page after page of numbers. Something like the SpeedScript word processor program would take quite a while to type in. Since the number keys on a C64 are on the top row of the keyboard and it has no numeric keypad, to this day I never use the numeric keypad on a computer keyboard. I always type the numbers on the top row. I just now noticed that the keypad part of my keyboard looks rather dusty -- that would be why.

Incidentally, you have come up with the first reasonable reason that I've ever heard why someone would want a wireless keyboard. And in that situation I can indeed see why it would be convenient.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: