Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Through May 26 in Japan only - Mickey D Mega Mac

Author Topic: Through May 26 in Japan only - Mickey D Mega Mac
Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 05-18-2014 07:34 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not that I would get caught dead eating anything from Mickey D's these days, but this did catch my eye - funny it's only offered in Japan... for a week. I wonder how many Japanese people could even finish something like this. It costs 419 yen (about $4.13 USD);

The Mega Mac

-

|  IP: Logged

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 05-18-2014 08:10 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Considering how many Japanese seem to win in the Hot Dog eating and other gluttony contests I wouldn't be surprised if the MegaMac became an object of competition.

Or they could just rename it the Sumo Burger.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 05-18-2014 10:31 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it really as big as it looks, though? I haven't been in a McDonalds in the past couple of decades, but as I recall the last time I was there I got burger patties that were about the thickness of a piece of paper, served on a bun that wasn't much larger. The burger in the photo might be a similar thing.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2014 10:54 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also Available:
 -
I'm surprised they didn't do some sort of promorotional tie-in with the
new GODZILLA flick. You know, a "Monster MAC" or something like that.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 05-18-2014 11:41 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
McD's in Japan does these "mega" size deals about once a year, usually for only a week. The image Jim posted is from one of their earlier promo campaigns (notice the price). I normally don't eat at McD's, but when I was last in Japan, our hosts took us to McD's twice - one in Kamakura, and one in Kyoto. I have to admit the Teriyaki burgers were pretty good! Too bad there's been no interest in reverse importing them to North America.

And for Frank, the Big Mac patties and buns are somewhat bigger than their regular burgers (which are now on the McD "dollar menu").

I'd say these Mega Macs are about the size of an In-N-Out "4x4"...

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 05-19-2014 01:24 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You only need to Google a bit to find all kinds of custom-built contraptions, but Burger King Japan actually had a 7-patty Whopper on their menu for about a week a few years back.

Michael Putlack
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2014 02:02 AM      Profile for Michael Putlack   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Putlack   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be in Japan for a week starting May 27th! I might miss the cutoff for the mega mac, but trying something like Japanese McDonalds might be a worthwhile experiment...

Terry Lynn-Stevens
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2014 11:55 AM      Profile for Terry Lynn-Stevens   Email Terry Lynn-Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like a double Big Mac

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-19-2014 01:47 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pictures of fast food always make them look so cold and unappetizing. The real stuff actually looks more edible.

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 05-19-2014 08:37 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Mega Mac has been done in US restaurants previously. There's been two versions...one with four standard 1.6 ounce patties (as shown) and one with two quarter-pounder patties.

But the best was The Cheesecake Factory's version. The "Tons of Fun" Burger was a Big Mac-like monster with two HALF-pound patties.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-20-2014 08:50 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a sad thing that restaurants are all stumbling over each other claiming to make the "best" hamburger when in reality it's almost impossible to even find a "GOOD" hamburger. They insist on making it "deluxe" and piling all kinds of unnecessary, yet cost-adding, stuff.

It's a bun and a patty, idiots! I'll ask for whatever other stuff I want. I don't need you to supply the lettuce, tomato, onion, relish, half-pound patties (a third pound is fine), fries, pesto, mushrooms, sesame seeds, mayo, salad dressing or parsley unless I request them. And the bun should be a hamburger bun, not a kaiser roll. And the bun should be buttered and toasted on the grill, not served cold out of a bag.

I have found that the nicer the restaurant, the more expensive the hamburger and the worse it is. Along with the extraneous crap mentioned above, it's because they buy patties that are "manufactured" (and therefore squashed to the point of removing all air from them, hence no moisture).

Good burgers come from crappy joints like the Speedway Diner right here in Forsyth (and even they use a bun coated on top with stupid cornmeal, which gets all over your hands).

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 05-21-2014 06:13 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hamburgers do have a bad reputation around here, I guess we can blame that primarily on Mickey D's & co., as they introduced those products to the local 'cuisine'. As a direct result, hamburgers are generally regarded as a low quality, fast-food only thing. Basically there are just two choices: garbage or fancy pants burgers sold by wannabes.

The ingredient list of the contraption called the "Bicky Burger" being sold by almost every fry shack around here, makes the pink goo that supposedly went into many fast food burgers look like caviar.

Also, try to convince anybody to deliver your hamburger medium to medium rare. It's just plain impossible, they will all just cremate your burger...

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 05-21-2014 08:01 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In Korea, they've got McDonald's in downtowns of biggish cities and then a knock-off everywhere called Lotteria. Both have a "local" thing of a "bulgogi burger" that aren't bad but taste absolutely nothing like bulgogi.

And for regular burgers, they haven't figured out how to do anything but directly copy McDonald's. Like they have tons of traditional Korean delicious pickled items, yet if you get a burger here, invariably it will have the same cheap-as-shit pickles that you'd find at McD's.

The only place in my city that makes a quality burger is a western bar downtown.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: