Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » In a world without voiceovers: What happened to the movie trailer voice?

Author Topic: In a world without voiceovers: What happened to the movie trailer voice?
Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 05-24-2014 01:38 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In a world without voiceovers: What happened to the movie trailer voice?

quote:

Stuart A. Thompson

The Globe and Mail

Published Thursday, May. 22 2014, 6:33 PM EDT

Last updated Friday, May. 23 2014, 10:59 AM EDT

Summer movie season is in full swing, but one iconic part of the viewing experience is missing in action: the trailer voiceover.

The gravelly voice that narrates previews – you know the one, he often starts with the words “in a world” – has all but vanished, according to a review of more than 200 blockbuster trailers over the past 20 years by The Globe and Mail.

None of this year’s most-anticipated films, from the Godzilla remake to The Amazing Spider-Man 2, used voiceover in their debut trailers. Among last year’s top-10 box-office performers, only Disney’s animated film Frozen used it.

It’s a historic moment for movie marketing and a death knell for a narrative device once seen as mandatory to quickly convey a story to theatregoers before the feature film began.

“We’re only at the beginning of this new trend of not having the narrator,” says Ryan Parsons, co-owner of the movie-preview website Trailer Addict. “Studios are getting more creative and the narrator is going to be gone for a while.”

The voiceover artist held the limelight for decades, reaching their peak in 1994 – the last time when all top-10 films at the box office used a narrator in their trailer, from the critically praised The Lion King to the panned Dumb and Dumber.

Then things started to change. Fewer trailers were using the gimmick, and the popular ones that still did were schlocky summer fare like 1995’s Die Hard With A Vengeance and 1996’s Independence Day.

By 1997, the voiceover was a favoured companion for films like Con Air, a Nicholas Cage action-adventure production that hired voiceover legend Hal Douglas to deliver the trailer’s cringeworthy tag-line: “This summer, check your weapons, take your seat, and say your prayers.”

Douglas, who died earlier this year, might have seen the coming sea change a decade earlier when he parodied himself in the trailer for the 2002 documentary Comedian.

In it, Douglas reads a litany of tired trailer catchphrases like ”in a world” and “when your life is no longer your own,” over the protests of the sound mixer. Then he’s fired.

It was the clearest sign yet that the voiceover had become a punchline.

Overuse may not be the only reason for the voiceover’s decline. Today, the highest-grossing movies are multibillion-dollar epics with built-in fanbases, such as the Harry Potter series and myriad comic-book adaptations. Audiences are already experts on the story, so they don’t need a narrator to communicate those details.

Gone, too, are the days when a trailer is viewed a single time inside a movie theatre. Parsons, whose Trailer Addict website serves 40-million pageviews a month, says today’s marketers use dozens of previews and featurettes, on top of other marketing vehicles, to capture attention. With such ubiquitous marketing, a narrator isn’t necessary.

By the 2000s, a few box-office performers still used a voiceover in their marketing. However, most were animated pictures, like last year’s Frozen and Pixar’s 2011 film Cars 2 – a sign that family films might be immune to the negative association that hangs over it.

And there’s at least one more voiceover mainstay: the parody. Seth McFarlane’s comedy Ted used the voiceover as a bait-and-switch, employing actor Patrick Stewart’s wholesome British timbre to imbue the film with a sense of whimsy, describing the power of “a young boy’s wish.” Then, the switch: The movie is actually about a foul-mouthed, pot-smoking stuffed bear.

While the narrator himself might be used sparingly these days, marketers actually haven’t changed the basic structure of the trailer in years. To impart key information like tag-lines and release dates, voiceovers have been usurped by new trailer trends that follow the same format.

Many modern trailers use what are called title cards: text that appears on screen with familiar phrases like “this summer the rules have changed,” for example, in a recent Transformers trailer.

Marketers have also turned to actors, either using dialogue from the film or writing entirely new scripts. The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles reboot, released later this summer, used a monologue from actor William Fichtner that includes a classic trailer tag-line: “Heroes are not born, they’re created.”

Even this could be waning in the face digital media and shorter attention spans. Last year, The Wolverine became the first big movie to release a trailer on Vine, Twitter’s viral video-sharing platform. The trailer used a flurry of 21 different cuts in six seconds. No character narration, no trailer voiceover.

In a world with that kind of marketing, what hope does the voiceover artist have?

Watch the related video with clips from trailers mentioned in this story.

The review by The Globe included the debut theatrical trailers from the top 10 box-office performers each year back to 1990. The trailers were sourced from TrailerAddict.com, which lists trailers by date, and other websites. Box office data was collected from BoxOfficeMojo.com.

|  IP: Logged

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 05-24-2014 01:47 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's an easy explanation: He has been fired:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIILUKJ74r0&feature=player_embedded

- Carsten

Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-24-2014 02:02 PM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Things seem to peter out for the voice-over artist after Don LaFontaine died in 2008. He was seen as iconic to the art of the trailer VO, you would recognize his voice in a second. I would go into a theatre some times and here 4 or 5 of his trailers in a row.

Just last year, there was a terrific little indie comedy in theatres, Lake Bell's In A World, about the rivalry between father and daughter voice-over artists to see who would be selected for the trailer for a forthcoming blockbuster. It deals with the aftermath of LaFontaine's death in fictional ways, but you can still see the impact on the industry and the mark he left. Very funny little movie, too.

Terry Lynn-Stevens
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-24-2014 02:15 PM      Profile for Terry Lynn-Stevens   Email Terry Lynn-Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How can you write an article without mentioning Don LaFontaine who recorded over 5000 movie trailers?

Movie marketing has changed, the voice-over really is not needed all that much with the current generation. Sure it could return, but it really is not needed.

Pravin Ratnam
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-25-2014 12:38 AM      Profile for Pravin Ratnam   Email Pravin Ratnam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Growing up with movies in the 80s, I find it amazing how cringeworthy I find some of those old trailers with voiceovers when I youtube them now.

There is no nuance in a lot of the narration. Even for the comedies, it was one of two voices usually. And a lot of the time , they are just repeating what we can read "Universal pictures presents" or "touchstone pictures"

I don't miss them.

Edward Havens
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-25-2014 02:22 PM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We also have to remember that the studios often do not create the trailers themselves, and that the companies that do make several to dozens of possible versions for approval. I spent a few months working a temp job with a company that created trailers for studios back in 1998, and I must have seen thirty to forty different versions of the first trailer for Star Trek: Insurrection nine months before the film came out. Some had voiceover narration, most did not. I don't remember which one they finally used (and I don't care enough to look it up). I just love telling stories.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-25-2014 10:00 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With the lickety-split way trailers are cut these days there's no way a voiceover would usually work any more. By the time a narrator would get a sentence out, four or five <2 second scenes would have gone by.

Doug Thompson
Film Handler

- posted 05-26-2014 01:55 PM      Profile for Doug Thompson   Email Doug Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I worked in a recording studio, a client gave me a cassette of this . I engineered most of the voice over sessions and, on one particular day, I had an announcer in to record a script for a real estate project. He did a lot of work locally including one of the TV station's book and was the voice of a regional grocery store chain's TV and radio spots. After much guffawing at a playback of this satire, he wanted a copy to take to an ad agency session he was doing later in the week. When I saw him next, he reported that not one agency person even snickered!

Doug Thompson
Film Handler

- posted 05-26-2014 03:35 PM      Profile for Doug Thompson   Email Doug Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh! I almost forgot 5 Guys In A Limo!

Jarod Reddig
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-26-2014 05:32 PM      Profile for Jarod Reddig   Email Jarod Reddig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That was awesome Doug!

Doug Thompson
Film Handler

- posted 05-26-2014 07:39 PM      Profile for Doug Thompson   Email Doug Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jerod, I was referred to "5 guys" by an editing client, the owner of this company. That's one of my tape machines at 2:45.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: