Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Century Portable 35mm ?

Author Topic: Century Portable 35mm ?
Steve Matz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-26-2014 10:02 PM      Profile for Steve Matz   Email Steve Matz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got a chance to buy one of these CENTURY JCC Portables at a pretty good price and its a Pristine Unit. I didn't even know that Century had made a Portable 35mm Projector,and doing some research they seem to be fairly rare.In fact I can't even find any Production Numbers for the Model; so I'm wondering if Century just counted them along with their C Models since it's the same Head.Apparently they showup in Europe Occasionly. Anybody have any dealings with one these Models.

-

-

-

-

|  IP: Logged

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 06-26-2014 11:29 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is a stock "C" that has been modified. I did know tht Kelmar did some of these, but this is not one of theirs. Note the soundhead built up inside the projector head.

Steve Matz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-27-2014 04:00 PM      Profile for Steve Matz   Email Steve Matz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well this is a UK Built Century since it has the WESTREX on the Door Glass. I didn't realize how many Countries built Clone Copies of Century Projectors under their licenseing. I'm surprised that Century wasn't building Domestic Portables like the Devry XD for the Military...

-

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 06-27-2014 04:08 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is the vertical box on the stand? It looks vaguely like a 16mm MARC-300 power supply, but it is clearly not that.

And what do the rheostats on the "control panel" do? One might be for the optical preamp gain, but what is the other one?

The basic idea of this machine is semi-clever, but I doubt that most would be happy watching color prints that were timed for xenon projection being shown with a tungsten light source.

And why does the top picture have an audio tape (or is it video tape?) reel on the takeup spindle?

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-27-2014 04:15 PM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Louis Bornwasser
Note the soundhead built up inside the projector head.
Wouldn't that cause a timing/sync problem with the sound? Or do you compensate with an enormous loop?

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 06-27-2014 04:32 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is an extra sprocket at the bottom where the film would normally enter the soundhead. It looks as if the film goes from the lower feed sprocket to the "extra" sprocket and then back up to the "soundhead" part of the machine (probably just barely clearing the solar cell bracket).

Alternatively, it would be possible to add a digital delay circuit.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-28-2014 11:55 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was actually going to do this to one of the Century's I pulled during conversions... I had even set the two aside. But with Sync issues from relocating the reproducer and then issues of being able to easily service the thing down the road I nixed it and gave my Century's to another Film Techer. Doing this sort of thing with a Kinoton or older Phillips makes so much more sense...

-

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-28-2014 11:57 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like an FP23X with the RSSD upgrade.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 06-28-2014 01:36 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We sent a number of FP-20s to the UK (Max Bell) to be converted into dailies projectors in Samsonite suitcases.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: