Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Century's Vistavision and Cinerama (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Century's Vistavision and Cinerama
Steve Matz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2014 01:28 AM      Profile for Steve Matz   Email Steve Matz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While researching Century Projectors Production Records for the portable C I was going to buy; I came across some interesting numbers for Vistavision and Cinerama Production. According to their records they only built a total of 24VV Projectors between 1955-1958 compared to the DD 35mm Model used in 3 projection Cinerama format where approximately 600 projectors were Mfgered.

It makes me wonder what Paramount was thinking when they decided not to go with an anamorphic type process where only a Lense would be needed verses a completely new type projector. Apparently most theater owners weren't too interested in having to add a new projector system just for showing Vistavision only Movies.The only other Projector Mfger that I know of that produced a VV type projector was KAYLEE which I have no idea how many projectors they produced for the VV Format.Apparently even Foreign distribution of VV Pictures to the United Kingdom weren't going great guns either and VV died pretty quick all over.

When I was a kid going to the Movies in the late 50's and 60's and saw that opening "Filmed in Vistavision" on a Paramount Picture I always thought whats the big deal it looks the same as any other widescreen Film. What I was actually watching was a normal vertically projected print on an E7 w/a B&L Scope Lens...

-
VISTAVISION FRAME FORMAT

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-03-2014 02:45 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ever seen a frame of VV film printed 90 degrees using the IB transfer for standard 35mm viewing?

I ran "Ten Commandments" in 1972 with 12 full reels being struck on IB Technicolor, and the image on the print was more than stunning - never seen such a sharp image on a piece of film.

..and you saw the classic "F" marks right after every changeover in the upper right hand of the image.

-Monte

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 07-03-2014 02:48 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think six Kalee Vistavision machines were built, with four, two pairs, actually installed in cinemas. I don't know how many Century machines were built.

Battle of the River Plate was shown at the Odeon Leicester Square in London, and I think about two other films, but I can't remember which titles, in the two cinemas in London which were equipped. As a release format it existed to a slightly greater extant than the proposed 55.625 mm six-perf format for Cinemascope 55, but not by much.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 07-03-2014 03:02 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What I never could figure out was, once a film was shot in VV, why didn't Paramount just extract the widest image from the 2:35:1 area or even just 2:1ar of the negative and optically convert it to standard 2.335:1 ar anamorphic release prints so it could be shown as a full scope image. THE TEN COMMANDMENTS could have looked even more impressive in Technicolor Scope.

They would have been getting more negative geography that shooting in 35mm anamorphic giving them a very sharp scope image rivaling anything that Scope shot in 35mm anamorphic could produce, what with all the "cirles of confusion" anamorphic lenses produced. Fox knew it -- filming CAROUSEL and THE KING AND I in CinemaScope 55mm only to discover that the larger negative produced such a superior image when optically reduction printed to anamophic 35mm, that they just dumped the whole idea of converting theatre projectors to run 55mm prints and just ran the optically converted 35mm anamporphic prints instead and everyone was thrilled -- Fox, because it did away with that whole nightmare of some theatres converted while other not and double inventory prints, etc., and the exhibitors because they didn't have to do ANYthing, did have to spend a dime, which always makes them salivate like Pavlov's dogs.

Then again, I guess there WAS that "my wide screen system is better then your wide screen system" pissing contest thing going on between Paramount and Fox. Paramount simply was not going to give in to Fox and admit that CinemaScope was way ahead of the curve when it came to the number of screens already equipped to show anamorphic prints, regardless of the quality as compaired to spherical VV. But Paramount remained adamant about the fact that their VV process for wide screen was a superior system to CinemaScope, and while that may be true from a purely technical standpoint, Fox had already won the battle by the most significant and prize winning fact that the CinemaScope system was backward compatible and could play both the existing formats and the Scope format. This was music to exhibitors ears, and rightfully so; can you imagine what it must have sounded like to exhibitors when they heard that to run a VV film, the projectors had to be turned on their sides?

That said, I think the Paramount techs could have come up with a solution to that problem which might have saved VistaVision from going under so fast. Surely there could have been a way VV projectors to be outfitted with an adaptor/prism & mirror system that could flip a standard picture on its side, i.e., it could run BOTH VV prints and standard, vertical prints, both flat and scope -- a truly triformat projector, and everyone's happy, except for the film which had to make those two bloody painful twists to get the image to turn sideways into the head...ouch.

I mean you can understand how Paramount just couldn't swallow its pride and give up on its system like Warner and the other studios did. I remember running MR. ROBERTS (WB) and though how it must have galled Jack Warner. Evidently in order to use the word CinemaScope in the film TITLE credits -- it had to take up its own frame with the CinemaScope logo big a point size as the film Title, but it also had to have under the CinemaScope graphic in smaller font but very visible nonetheless, the credit "CinemaScope is a registered Trademark of 20th Century Fox" I bet he had to get drunk before he signed that agreement. But that's how big CinemaScope was in those heady first days -- every scope title had the CinemaScope logo as big or nearly as big as the film title -- in ads, on all 1-Sheets and on the screen. In Fox titles the CinemaScope graphic is part of the Fox logo fanfare and so it is ABOVE the title and the stars. Imagine!

Thomas Hauerslev
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2014 04:38 AM      Profile for Thomas Hauerslev   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Hauerslev   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Read this: http://in70mm.com/news/2012/vistavision/index.htm

Christian Appelt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2014 08:59 AM      Profile for Christian Appelt   Email Christian Appelt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Matz
The only other Projector Mfger that I know of that produced a VV type projector was KAYLEE which I have no idea how many projectors they produced for the VV Format.
There was another 8-perf machine built by Microtecnica Company of Turin, Italy. This "Microlambda" projector was used for 8-perf showings of MONTE CARLO STORY in 1957. Martin Hart has a press note and an image on his Widescreenmuseum website:

American Widescreen Museum / Technirama projector (scroll down)

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2014 09:37 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One thing I've always been curious about his how Century technicians solved the
intermittent movement horizontal 'oil bath' problem.

In a standard intermittant, gravity plays a big part in the flow of oil through the
mechanism, not only for lubrication, but to carry heat away from the star-pin assembly.

I've never read anything about how they re-designed the movement so that not only was
it able to run in a horizontal orientation, but also at twice the normal speed.

It seems to me that solving that took some good mechanical engineering design work!

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 07-03-2014 09:53 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe Cinemeccanica also made a few VV projectors. There were also a few custom VV projectors made for ILM. There were based on Century.

Some of the earlier VV Century's had Brenkert Int. movements with some sort of enclosure that presumably held oil.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 07-03-2014 11:14 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The latest PPT magazine Rewind has a interesting VV Kalee projector that was vertical and had a massive prism to rotate the image It was in use at Deluxe UK untill recently when the trust aquired it

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-03-2014 11:55 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll share a few pictures of my VistaVision camera which I am now in the process of finishing. I have shot film with it but it still needs to be reflexed and a new shutter made. I found a camera guy on the West coast that is going to do the work for me. I have also acquired the original hand drawn plans done by ILM designer Mike Bolles... so having those will make finishing the job much easier. ILM used similar cameras on Robocop, Robocop 2 and a number of other movies before they built the Vistaflex. The same Fox two color cameras were also the ones Paramount first shot VistaVision with. I did all the machining on this myself... The motor is a BNCR crystal drive motor adapted to this camera. Hopefully it'll all be done in about 6 months time...

-

-

-

-

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-03-2014 01:25 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jim Cassedy
One thing I've always been curious about his how Century technicians solved the
intermittent movement horizontal 'oil bath' problem.

I used shaft seals on mine, plugged the sight glass and breather(overflow) hole and put a breather hole at the end of the outboard arm which is now at the top of the intermittent. movement. Hasn't leaked a drop of oil in 20 years. I filled it with LaVezzi synthetic oil and it's also had the same oil in it all these years. The stuff never goes bad. Pictures are in the warehouse.

Mark

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 07-03-2014 05:49 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there a list of world wide theatres that played horizontal VistaVision prints, the titles and dates? I bet THE TEN COMMANDMENTS looked awesome in the full VV format in the theatres that played them.

-Claude

Steve Matz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-04-2014 12:01 PM      Profile for Steve Matz   Email Steve Matz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Stephen Furley
I think six Kalee Vistavision machines were built, with four, two pairs, actually installed in cinemas. I don't know how many Century machines were built.

Battle of the River Plate was shown at the Odeon Leicester Square in London, and I think about two other films, but I can't remember which titles, in the two cinemas in London which were equipped. As a release format it existed to a slightly greater extant than the proposed 55.625 mm six-perf format for Cinemascope 55, but not by much.

Here is the Projection Booth of London's ODEON in the late 50's
with the 2 Vista Vision Projectors(one on each end) plus 3 other projectors. That has to be a rarity in Single Screen Theaters back in the day to have 5 Projectors in a Booth. Most theaters had two,sometimes 3, I have never been in a Booth that ever had more than 3(excluding Multplexes) [Eek!]

-

-

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-04-2014 04:54 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bigger Apertures & Bigger Screens Needed Bigger Lamphouses!
1955 Ad For Peerless Hy-Candescent Cinerac
( "Not A Reflector Arc" ! ! ) Int'l Projectionist, Oct '55
 -
Never ran V-V, but I do recall running a couple of these
lamps at a Long Island, NY drive-in back in the mid 1970's.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-04-2014 05:45 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Matz
I have never been in a Booth that ever had more than 3(excluding Multplexes)
At one time Radio City had as many as six.

Can anyone (not British please) name the three projectors in the center of the VV projectors in the above picture. They were fairly common in GB at one time.

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: