Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » How tough are QSC's DCA amplifiers? Here's an extreme use that worked!

Author Topic: How tough are QSC's DCA amplifiers? Here's an extreme use that worked!
Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 07-14-2014 01:03 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a part-time gig right now announcing motocross races. Our P.A. system uses "70v Distributed Line" speaker horns (One location has eight horns at 30 watts each, the other has five at 30w and 4 at 70w connected).

The race club originally bought a PA amp with built-in 70v output rated at 300w. That amp didn't last ten minutes at the location with 8 horns. (240w total load) Cheap piece of crap.

Well, I had to get the show going, so I pulled one of my DCA 2422's from my rack and took it out to the track to see if it could drive those 8 horns....

The dc line resistance of the system was 2.4 ohms....(actual impedance would be higher or lower depending on frequency) so it was borderline for what the amp should be able to handle, plus the DCA amps aren't really intended to drive 70v systems directly.

The end result? No surprise to me really, but that amp drove those horns to near ear-splitting levels, more than enough to overpower 30 motocross bikes in a very large outdoor area.

It gets better: I was using only one channel of the amp, it was in direct sunlight all day in 90 degree heat, it was sitting on the ground next to the first pole in the speaker line (my wire got cut where it crossed the track the day before) and eating blowing dust....AND it was being powered by a Honda Inverter generator!!

That amp never shut down or went into any clip limiting.

And just two days ago it drove the larger array at another track..at least it was in the announcing tower there and running on utility power, again without missing a beat.

I have always been a fan of QSC amps since my days working at a So. Calf. amusement park and having a Series One (1400) survive being rained on while powered up on a roof.

They seem to survive abuse that would kill any other brand (Cough, Crown, Cough, cough) in an instant.

Anyone else got some examples of a QSC amplifier surviving a situation that you thought it never would?

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-14-2014 03:53 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some amplifiers can drive a 70 volt line directly. QSC also makes low ohm to 70 volt output transformers you can use on the output of their amplifiers as well. You really ought to consult with them on this. My first instinct would be to say try one out and see how it goes. The amp should protect itself if it doesn't like the load.

P.S., How on earth did you end up in Mooreland?

Mark

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 07-14-2014 07:46 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only faults i have had with the DCA is if there is a brownout while they are under heavy load and then there is usually smoke

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 07-15-2014 12:46 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gordon: How many instances of the brownout failures have you run across, and what did QSC say about the failures? Did they give any info on what failed in the amp? Since they have a basically transformerless power supply I can't think of what would burn out.

quote:
Some amplifiers can drive a 70 volt line directly. QSC also makes low ohm to 70 volt output transformers you can use on the output of their amplifiers as well. You really ought to consult with them on this. My first instinct would be to say try one out and see how it goes. The amp should protect itself if it doesn't like the load.

P.S., How on earth did you end up in Mooreland?

Mark

Mark, I have tried it out without the 70v transformer and the amp doesn't mind the load at all. (That was the uses in the OP I mentioned.) I am sure it is not quite as efficient as using the proper transformer though.

BUT:

1: The proper transformers would have to be minimum of 400 watts rated for my uses, and those can be found, but good ones are spendy and weigh half the weight of the amplifier (important in this case since this is a "portable" system, and has to be hand carried everywhere);
2: Driving a 400 watt transformer with an amplifier capable of more than 110% of the transformer's rating is risky; (The 2422 is rated at 700w into 4 ohms /825w EIA 1khz at 1%THD);
3: and as long as the amp can handle the load impedance, transformers are not necessary at a certain output based on this formula (Courtesy of Peavy):

V= (sq root of)(PxZ) Where:

V= Output voltage
P= Amplifier Rated RMS Power in watts
Z= Amplifier Rated Load Impedance in Ohms

So, in the case of a single channel of the DCA 2422 we get:

700 x 4 = 2800
Sq root of 2800 = 52.92 (rounded off)

So I am technically under-driving the speaker array quite a bit.

Using the EIA rating we get:

825 x 4 = 3300
Sq root of 3300 = 57.45

For fun (and I haven't tried it yet) let's see what the bridged mode gets:

2400 x 4 = 9600
Sq root of 9600 = 97.98 (A bit too high for a 70v line, can burn up speaker transformers or drivers, and may cause the amp to shut down.)

But let's try this if my speaker array presents a nominal 8 ohm load to the amplifier: (Bridged mode)

1500 x 8 = 12,000 (very interesting..)
Sq root of 12,000 = 109.55

Note that as the impedance goes UP, so does the voltage. This is consistent with Ohm's Law and the standard formula for power.

Now to get as close as possible to my ideal 70v line, let's see what a QSC 3022 can do:

**All below are single channel mode: **

900 x 4 = 3600 (RMS rating)
Sq root of 3600 = 60.00 (not bad but still about 12-15% low)

So let's try the EIA rating:

1050 x 4 = 4200 (EIA rating)
Sq root of 4200 = 64.81

How about a 3422 at EIA:

1250 x 4 = 5000 (EIA rating)
Sq root of 5000 = 70.71 **We have a winner!!**

So, in my application, and to drive the array without a transformer , a QSC 3422 in single channel mode would be the best bet without a transformer. (Or any other comparable amplifier rated at 1250w at 4 ohms.)

Now the reality is, if I could rely on every racetrack I go to having a fixed number of PA speakers in good working order then I would benefit from installing 70v driver transformers at the head of each speaker array and then most any amp capable of driving the total 70v array wattage will do the job nicely. It would then be a simple thing for my DCA to connect to every system.

But that is not the case. The one exception will be the local track where I am installing the P.A. myself and have control over how many speakers are installed and how they are connected. For that system I will be installing a driver transformer.

But, it was nice to know that for the other local venue (that I have no control over) that my DCA can handle the system just fine. [beer]

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 07-15-2014 12:58 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My limited knowledge of 70v systems (mostly from old Altec surround systems and modern Muzak-like systems) is that they require a transformer at the amplifer end (or an amp with a built-in transformer) and at each loudspeaker. The installer then adds up the number of watts tapped for use at each speaker and that value indicates the number of watts needed for the amplifier that drives the system.

So, if it is possible (with the right amplifier) to drive a 70v system without a transformer at the amplifier end, I am still confused as to how one would determine the power requirements. Or is this just a case of intentionally throwing more amplifier power than would ever be necessary at the problem?

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 07-15-2014 01:56 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Scott Norwood
My limited knowledge of 70v systems (mostly from old Altec surround systems and modern Muzak-like systems) is that they require a transformer at the amplifer end (or an amp with a built-in transformer) and at each loudspeaker. The installer then adds up the number of watts tapped for use at each speaker and that value indicates the number of watts needed for the amplifier that drives the system.
That is spot-on. Yes you drive the system with a transformer at the amp end and each speaker has a transformer with the wattage taps. This allows you to do two things:

1: Drive a very large number of speakers by simply wiring all of them in parallel without worrying about impedance matching; and

2: By selecting the desired wattage taps at each speaker, controlling the overall level of each speaker to allow for better distribution of the sound levels. (Thus the common use of the term "70v distributed system".)

In theory, if you have a drive transformer large enough (with the corresponding power rated amplifier driving it) there is no real limit on the number of speakers you can connect to a 70v system, the only limit is that the total of all of the wattage taps MUST NOT exceed the amplifier/driver transformer ratings.

quote:
So, if it is possible (with the right amplifier) to drive a 70v system without a transformer at the amplifier end, I am still confused as to how one would determine the power requirements. Or is this just a case of intentionally throwing more amplifier power than would ever be necessary at the problem?
I think, based on the formulas and examples I gave, it is indeed a case of intentionally throwing more amplifier power than necessary to get the drive voltages up to the 70v mark.

The needed power would be determined by the formula.

Note that this method is NOT efficient, and in reality will STILL limit the total number of speakers you can drive without the drive (amp end) transformer in place as eventually the total connected speaker's impedance will drop to near zero as far as the amp is concerned.... and of course at that point the amp will shut down on short circuit or thermal protection...or fail altogether.

In my real-world examples above I was driving 240 watts and 430 watts with 700w-825w from the amp.

Some important points I should make about what I am doing is that one, this is announcing, so just me talking and occasionally shouting when the race action gets intense, two, I have the filter in the DCA on and set to 80 hz (P.A. horns are pretty useless below 100hz anyways), and finally any music I play is "background" level so the actual stresses on the amplifier are minimal, except when I am announcing from the infield and the bikes go by.

Somewhere in my files I have a paper from Crown where they show the Indianapolis Motor Speedway's system....they are driving a higher voltage system, with literally hundreds of horns and zones, and close to a million (!) or more watts of audio power. It was very impressive...IIRC each of their amplifiers required a 30 (or 50) amp 3-phase circuit! (And there were a lot of amplifiers.) They also had the speaker zones wired to SO cords and twistlock connectors to "patch panels" for each amplifier..so if an amp failed they could re-patch the affected speakers to another amplifier(s). As soon as I locate that paper I'll scan it and send it to Brad for out Warehouse.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 07-15-2014 01:56 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is somewhere around 20 amps that have failed in the last few years all occuring when the theatre has a massive brownout (other stuff like motor controlers also have failures when the line sags to around 80volts (often during a hot day in the summer)
Always the same resitors and caps that are burnt

I suspect the switchmode is incapable of delivering the demand current with a low input

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 07-15-2014 01:59 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Gordon, that makes sense to me. [Smile]

Jarod Reddig
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-15-2014 03:53 PM      Profile for Jarod Reddig   Email Jarod Reddig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice little story. They are indeed tough as nails.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 07-15-2014 07:43 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most any amp that has a 2 ohm rating is bulletproof. Because of static electricity and lightning, outdoor systems are not foolproof. Not only are solid state devices easily zapped, but diaphragms are also. Lightning arresters and transformer do help. A big knife switch will help when off line.

Tube amplifiers were much preferred back on drive in systems, which is about what you are building here.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 07-17-2014 01:05 AM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Louis Bornwasser
Tube amplifiers were much preferred back on drive in systems, which is about what you are building here.
Ugh, that brings back some horrible memories from my RCA Service days.

I had a drive-in in So Cali in my "kit" that had the old hybrid "Quad-Eight" brand amplifiers. IIRC they had IC preamps, transistorized driver and tube output stages.

When those amps were properly cared for (i.e. keep GOOD tubes in them) not only did they sound great but they were pretty rugged and easily pushed out more than rated power. They weighed in at around 45lbs each (they were mono BTW) and were not overly efficient in regards to power draw.

But when you have a location with a so-called "ham radio expert", a super cheap owner, and a box full of old tubes..... [Roll Eyes]

Right before I told RCA where to stuff it, I had one last service call at that location. They had managed to kill so many of those amplifiers that they had two screens down. I went there to pick up all six (!) of the dead amps and brought them back to the shop for repair.

I got 5 of the six working again, and with fresh tubes we had on hand they each put out so much clean power I kept overloading our dummy loads. The sixth one had an apparent short in the output transformer, because it only worked for about 20 minutes before giving up in a cloud of nasty smelling smoke. [Eek!]

Now my boss, the regional manager, was a bit of a mouse and I had told him (as well as the owner and "ham boy") that I would only warranty the repair IF and only IF they bought NEW tubes for the amps. I pushed my boss into ordering the fresh tubes and billing the theatre so I could bring them back with new tubes, but he didn't have the sack to make it happen. I then told the location that I would not be back with the amps until they had the new tubes waiting for me. Anyone want to guess what happened? [Roll Eyes]

A week or so after I fixed the amps, the call came in to bring them back. I drove all the way out to the theatre, cornered "ham boy" and asked to see the new tubes before I lugged those monsters back upstairs to the booth. He assured me he had them and even carried one of the amps up for me. (Such a helpful old coot he was.)

Well, as I am racking the amps back in I am still waiting for the new tubes to appear. I am finally ready to do the testing, and ham boy wanders over to the "parts cabinet of doom" and says "Well, let's see what tubes we have here that will work." He grabs the same old box of crap tubes out and by looking at the glass magically decides which ones are good.

I go to the phone and call my mouse of a RM and tell him that they did NOT get new tubes as I requested, and that I am now voiding the warranty on ALL of the five working amps. A heated discussion ensues. (Which resumed in his office 2 hours later.)

Well, to get to the point: All five of the repaired amps eventually burned up - again. The first one went literally a few minutes after power-up, the second and third before I even had my tools packed and could leave. The last two held on for a few weeks.

It was about a month after this incident that I left RCA....because this location had called and was crying that now they had 4 screens down with no sound because of failed amplifiers. After being paged 7 times in a row (this was all before cell phones and a page meant you had to either be at home or track down a pay phone) I simply drove to the office, turned in my pager and all the company-issued test equipment and told the RM I quit.

All that said, Louis is right on one thing..in many ways the old tube amps would be great for this kind of work..but who wants to lug around 80+ lbs of just amplifiers and risk broken tubes?

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 01-16-2015 01:16 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
An update and some other observations to this thread:

First off, in order to be objective and present a balanced "review" here I do have to say that I recently experienced my first failure of a brand new DCA amplifier in a new installation.

The amp had been powered up for a few hours, running at low level during my usual "burn-in" period. I had returned to the booth and was sitting next to the rack when I heard a series of rapid clicks, then one pop then a very loud BANG, followed by a small cloud of smoke. [Eek!]

Went to the front of the rack and noticed one of the eight amps was dead..leaned closer to look and got a good whiff of the magic smoke. [Frown] Pulled the amp and had it sent back to QSC (who BTW provided an immediate replacement shipped out right away).

But the most important thing: the speakers were NOT damaged at all.

A follow-up with one of the techs told me what had gone wrong inside, it was a relatively simple failure in the main power supply circuits that was repairable.

I think I had mentioned it somewhere before, but it bears repeating: In all of the literally thousands of QSC amps I have installed or dealt with on my client locations, this still means I have a failure rate of well under 0.02% overall. And of the hundreds of DCA's I have used/installed, this one was the first to go bad on me.

I recently had a 3022 sent in for repair, it had a bad mainboard due to extreme abuse..they replaced the mainboard and all of the other boards so I now have a new 3022 for my subwoofer. [Big Grin]

Bottom line is, to date, I have yet to find any amplifier that is better sounding and more rugged than QSC at pretty much any price point...

David Buckley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-16-2015 09:17 PM      Profile for David Buckley   Author's Homepage   Email David Buckley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Using an amp directly to drive 70V (or 100V, for outside the USA) lines directly is established practice; as long as the output voltage of the amp is high enough, and the power rating adequate.

So for big aplifiers with large 70V loads it works perfectly, and a driving transformer is a waste of time, money, weight, and audio quality, not that 70V line systems are (in practice) of the highest quality anyway.

The problem is at the other end of the scale, trying to find an amplifier of adequate voltage drive for dozens of watts. The price commanded for such amplifiers is, well, far more than one would expect.

If one is driving these sorts of PA horns, a low cut filter to keep junk out of the horns is highly recommended.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 01-17-2015 08:23 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to have an Army surplus "beachmaster" amplifier. It was the electrical equivalent of a driver amp and an Altec A287w. Same as a Ballantyne. Had 2-805 tubes for 250 watts. I could run ANY drive in on it alone. Solar cell, Shure mike mixer and we're on-the-air. Was that thing ever heavy. About 140 pounds.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: