Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Simplex XL Telecine

Author Topic: Simplex XL Telecine
Steve Matz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-16-2014 12:53 AM      Profile for Steve Matz   Email Steve Matz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I found the Pics of that XL Telecine. Checkout how Small that Lamp is behind the Shutter. Most 16mm Telecines I saw used between a 300 & 500watt Tungsten Halogen Bulb. With the larger 35mm Frame this could possibly be using a 750 watt Lamp...The unit below the Lamp Housing looks like it has controlled Light output...

-

-

|  IP: Logged

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-16-2014 03:01 AM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Would this be from one of the then three main TV networks? Seems stations like WOR 9 from NYC ran 16mm, thus I don't see this being a local TV broadcaster somewhere...

Steve Matz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-16-2014 08:50 AM      Profile for Steve Matz   Email Steve Matz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Old CBS Control Room in New York - 1978 [beer]

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-16-2014 09:57 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Matz
Checkout how Small that Lamp is behind the Shutter
Telecine light sources were never very big, and I think it also
looks small in the photo just 'cuz we're all used to seeing BIG
lamphouses behind a 35mm projector.

quote: Steve Matz
The unit below the Lamp Housing looks like it has controlled Light output..
I worked with some of these old 16 & 35mm telecine machines at a film lab many
years ago. Very often the bulbs had regulators on them to keep their voltage &
current tightly regulated to keep the color temperature & light levels constant.

In the old "black & white" telecine days exposure was often regulated simply by
adujusting the bulb voltage. The telecines I was working with in the late 70's &
80's had a neutral density filter wheel with graduated density segments between
the projector & camera. A feedback signal from the camera put the correct
density segment in front of the camera lens. I don't recall if the wheel was
controlled by a special "AGC" type of signal from the camera, or if they simply
used the overall video level (luminance) to control it.

There was some sort of electronic 'damping' circuit so that the wheel wasn't
spinning or 'hunting' all over the place for rapid lighting changes.

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-16-2014 02:26 PM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also had frequent access to CBS in the '70's, and their 16mm was Eastman 25's and JAN 614's. I remember watching Douglas Edwards doing live radio from there--now that's a name from the past.

John Eickhof
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2014 02:52 PM      Profile for John Eickhof   Author's Homepage   Email John Eickhof   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the machines in the picture are the same as the one I have. Branded as 'GPL Telecine projector' As for the lamp, it's a 500 watt bulb w/spare on an automatic turret to switch if one bulb fails. The intensity is controlled by the variac in the panel below. Between the lamp and gate there is a synch motor driven flat 5 bladed shutter in synch with the hi-lo intermittent. Mine has a 6000 ft capacity also and came out of a station in Chicago. The hi-lo intermittent was modified by Philco! (Philadelphia Storage Battery Co, makers of Philco radios and tvs)

Steve Matz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2014 04:54 PM      Profile for Steve Matz   Email Steve Matz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jonn; I saw a Simplex GPL Telecine listed on EBAY less than a year ago for $35,000 WOW! I wouldn't think these 35MM Telecine's would of had high production volume simply because Most of your TV Stations and Affliates used 16mm chains(ie Eastman 250,275,285,300-RCA TP6,TP66,etc). It seems aside from CBS,ABC,& NBC that only your larger Metropolitan City's TV Stations had 35mm equipment(like KTLA Los Angeles that I mentioned before) If that is a Realistic Price listed for that Projector than you have a piece of GOLD [beer]

BTW:Speaking of early B&W Television. We didn't get our first TV Station until November 1953. Local News Cast were not even 1/2hr yet(15minutes) Because of the Primitive Vidicon Cameras and maybe the lack of knowledge on Lighting Issues back then; The person/s that did the News cast or any Live Event inside the Studio had to go through this elaborate Makeup process to their Face so they would come across Viewer's TV Screens as Normal Looking People. The Makeup made them look like they were going to a Halloween Party. It had to be both a Hastle and probably embarrassing for the People having to go through this. Thank GOD for technology. Also I remember my Dad bringing home this Big Box of a TV that sat on a Rod Iron Tripod. It was a 23" Screen size and I found out later that it cost $600. That much for a TV in 1954 that only had one Station until 1958; didn't start showing anything(besides test pattern)until Noon and then signed off at about 10:30PM. No Network Movies back then either. You had a mainstream of B Westerns from the 40's with actors like Bob Steele and William Boyd. We did get to see shows like Superman,Amos & Andy,Victory at Sea and probably all the TV shows that were filmed between 1949-51 already in syndication. Didn't matter it was such a new innovation for us to watch that even just watching the Test Pattern was Neat....

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-18-2014 04:30 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
35K, someone is dreaming. No one uses them any more, not even third world countries. $35.00 to $45.00 is a more realistic figure because they are only worth their scrap value by weight. You will actually get more for a scrapped out Strong or Christie platter system because half of it is aluminum.

Mark

Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2014 06:03 PM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What was unusual about the old CBS network telecine area was: no multiplexers. Every projector, be it 35mm, 16mm or slide, had its own dedicated GE-240 camera, so that each protector could be dialed up individually in the building master router (the button sequence would be "35-3 ENTER" or "16-2 ENTER", like that). Since they were 4-tube vidicon cameras, keeping them registered and tweaked up was an all day and night affair. The cameras had a 4x5 transparency of a registration patten in a metal frame that used to swing down into position in front of the camera lens, and another slide of a grayscale chart. The illumination for the pattern came from the projector itself, running with an open gate, in this way the color balance could be set taking into account the minute color variation of the individual bulb. If you look at the top photo, of 35-5, you can barely make out a small folded crank above the lamp housing. That was to swing the backup bulb in case of a burn-out.

When the area was ripped out in the late 1980s, it was replaced with an extension of the videotape area, filled with one-inch Type "C" machines and various beta decks. They're all still there, mostly unused, another obsolete technology.

Steve Matz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2014 06:27 PM      Profile for Steve Matz   Email Steve Matz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very Interesting Mark Ogden; Thanks for the Info. I remember the TV Station I was speaking about using an RCA TP-66 during the 60's.
The other local that came about in 1958 used a Eastman 250 starting out...

Steve Matz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2014 09:02 PM      Profile for Steve Matz   Email Steve Matz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good News, The Simplex GPL TC-200 Telecine has been slashed to a Bargain Basement $11,500 [Roll Eyes] I forgot who was selling it;our good friends in Miami who have a 1000 things on EBAY and mostly overpriced....This Projector does have some Nice closeup Color Shots...Check them Out ! [beer]

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Simplex-GPL-TC-200-35mm-Telecine-Transfer-Broadcast-Optical-Sound-Projector-/310361655325?pt=US_Movie_Slide_Projectors&hash=item4842ff081d

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: