Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » jailed for filming in cinema (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: jailed for filming in cinema
Alan Plester
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-22-2014 12:00 PM      Profile for Alan Plester   Email Alan Plester   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
News from BBC....A 25yr old man has been jailed for 33months after recording Fast & Furious 6...from the back of a Walsall cinema uploaded it and now it has been downloaded 700,000 times.

|  IP: Logged

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-22-2014 12:03 PM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good. Theft is theft and people need to stop treating piracy like it's OK because a movie isn't a physical object.

Alan Plester
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-22-2014 12:41 PM      Profile for Alan Plester   Email Alan Plester   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agree with that!

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 08-24-2014 05:43 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not that I endorse copyright infringement in any way, but copyright infringement is NOT theft.

Theft is when you take something away and deprive the owner of that what you've taken. Copyright infringement is making copies without permission from the owner of the rights to the thing you're making copies of. You're not taking the original away from the owner.

You might deprive revenue from the copyright owner, but the exact amount of revenue being deprived here is always hard to figure out. If a certain file was copied 700.000 times, it's not like the actual damage is as simple as 700.000*the original price, because a lot of people that downloaded the thing wouldn't have paid for it any other way.

The reason for the rather high jail sentence here probably was due to the fact that the defendant blatantly continued his activities while he was in court. I guess that didn't really count as mitigating circumstances.

Terry Lynn-Stevens
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-24-2014 12:07 PM      Profile for Terry Lynn-Stevens   Email Terry Lynn-Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Marcel Birgelen
but copyright infringement is NOT theft.
Does it really matter if it is theft or not? The guy was caught.
I don't think you really know how to interpret if it was theft or not.

Anyways, in my area, it is a criminal offense to operate a recording device in a movie theater. Note, it is purposely written as "recording device" because soundtracks are protected too. Whether or not I record a film/soundtrack and then distribute it is irrelevant as it is a criminal offense to operate such device in a movie theater.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 08-24-2014 12:21 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Without the permission of the manager". You can still operate a recording device in a theatre with permission. Otherwise, the folks who made a little documentary about my theatre when I first got my digital cinema setup would have been committing an offence. (I did request that they not record content off of the screen.)

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 08-24-2014 12:58 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yah, but they still haven't thrown anyone one in jail on the production side for the uploading of the PRISTINE copy (not a camcorder copy) of THE EXPENDABLES yet, have they? Just another instance of big guys get treated differently than the schmuck on the street. The petty thief who gets caught grabbing a soda at at the neighborhood bodaga gets 6 months, but the mortgage traders at Goldman Sacks who bilked hundreds of millions out of home-owner's pockets and caused an economic crash, not a single one has gone to jail.

And I'll bet they made a huge deal about this bust of PIRACY IN A MOVIE THEATRE. Funny how you never see big headline stories about piracy at the movie production houses or the studio insiders and their Academy Screener DVDs that seem to so easily get away from them in the blink of an eye. I guess "Piracy is not a victimless crime" only when it's done in cinemas but not when it happens in studios' post production houses or by Academy members.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 08-24-2014 04:45 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Terry Lynn-Stevens
Does it really matter if it is theft or not?
Yes it does. If you care about the law, it's also important to know what the law is. If that's not important anymore, we're in banana republic territories.

It seems the content industry did a great job at their propaganda here.

quote: Terry Lynn-Stevens
Anyways, in my area, it is a criminal offense to operate a recording device in a movie theater.
Sounds like a place to stay away from. Around here, it's not a criminal offense to operate a recording device in any theater. I actually doubt it is in your area too. It seems the propaganda worked quite well here too.

Using a "recording device" will probably be against theater regulations. Most (all?) studio contracts also state explicitly that you MUST HAVE those kind of regulations to be eligible to play their content. So, the theater management can tell you to shut off your "recording devices" and get the fuck out.

Around here, it's actually even not a crime to record the movie and use it for private purposes, that's still all within "fair use" for personal and educational purposes. It is a criminal offense to publicly share those recordings though.

quote: Frank Angel
Yah, but they still haven't thrown anyone one in jail on the production side for the uploading of the PRISTINE copy (not a camcorder copy) of THE EXPENDABLES yet, have they? Just another instance of big guys get treated differently than the schmuck on the street.
It's pretty amazing how time and time again something like this happens. I'm pretty convinced that leaking a "pristine" version can seriously hurt your sales. But besides that, anybody that watches a crappy "CAM" or how those things are called, cannot be seriously considered a customer anyway.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-24-2014 11:28 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
copyright infringement is NOT theft.

Theft is when you take something away and deprive the owner of that what you've taken. Copyright infringement is making copies without permission from the owner of the rights to the thing you're making copies of. You're not taking the original away from the owner.

People often float the "excuse" that "they weren't going to buy tickets anyway so what's the harm?" The harm is, the pirate is taking the VALUE of the property. He is having the experience of the copyrighted property without paying for it. Let's say there is an outdoor rock concert and I sneak over the fence and stand just outside the paid area and listen to the music, I'm stealing that ticket money from the performers because I'm experiencing the concert ... even if I never intended to buy a ticket in the first place, I'm not taking any tangible property, but I'm still getting what the ticket offered.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 08-25-2014 12:17 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But besides that, anybody that watches a crappy "CAM" or how those things are called, cannot be seriously considered a customer anyway.

Agreed. These people would not have been prepared to buy a theater ticket if they hadn't been able to see the illegal copy.

According to various news sites that have covered this story, he was trying to sell copies of the file for £1.50 a download, which I suspect explains why he was jailed. Pirating a movie for personal financial gain is IMHO an order of magnitude more serious an offense than doing so for other reasons, however misguided.

It reminds me of the story a year or two ago about the student from Sheffield who was pursued by the law, because he ran a site with direct links to pirate download files of popular movies, albums and so on. Certain elements of the press fulminated with outrage about how his didn't actually pirate the stuff himself, his crimes were victimless, etc. Very little of the coverage mentioned the MPAA's allegation that he'd made a six-figure sum in banner ad revenue from this site, which of course he couldn't have done if it didn't have those links on it. Encouraging people to download pirate movies is one thing, but making serious money out of doing so elevates the crime to a much higher level in my view. It's the same principle whereby murder is considered a more serious crime than manslaughter: the effect on the victim is the same, but the intent (or not) of the offender is a determining factor in the sentence.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 08-25-2014 12:29 AM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Around here, it's not a criminal offense to operate a recording device in any theater. I actually doubt it is in your area too.
An Act to amend the Criminal Code (unauthorized recording of a movie)

quote:
Assented to 2007-06-22

SUMMARY

This enactment amends the Criminal Code to prohibit the unauthorized recording of a movie in a movie theatre (camcording).
R.S., c. C-46

Her Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Senate and House of Commons of Canada, enacts as follows:

1. The Criminal Code is amended by adding the following after section 431.2:
Marginal note:Unauthorized recording of a movie

432. (1) A person who, without the consent of the theatre manager, records in a movie theatre a performance of a cinematographic work within the meaning of section 2 of the Copyright Act or its soundtrack

(a) is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term of not more than two years; or

(b) is guilty of an offence punishable on summary conviction.
Marginal note:Unauthorized recording for purpose of sale, etc.

(2) A person who, without the consent of the theatre manager, records in a movie theatre a performance of a cinematographic work within the meaning of section 2 of the Copyright Act or its soundtrack for the purpose of the sale, rental or other commercial distribution of a copy of the cinematographic work

(a) is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term of not more than five years; or

(b) is guilty of an offence punishable on summary conviction.
Marginal note:Forfeiture

(3) In addition to any punishment that is imposed on a person who is convicted of an offence under this section, the court may order that anything that is used in the commission of the offence be forfeited to Her Majesty in right of the province in which the proceedings are taken. Anything that is forfeited may be disposed of as the Attorney General directs.
Marginal note:Forfeiture — limitation

(4) No order may be made under subsection (3) in respect of anything that is the property of a person who is not a party to the offence.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 08-25-2014 02:38 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's always fascinating to read posts from people who find creative ways to rationalize downloading and consuming the product of other people's efforts.

I suspect their attitude would be much different, were they themselves the producers of said content.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 08-25-2014 05:23 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Leo Enticknap
According to various news sites that have covered this story, he was trying to sell copies of the file for £1.50 a download, which I suspect explains why he was jailed. Pirating a movie for personal financial gain is IMHO an order of magnitude more serious an offense than doing so for other reasons, however misguided.
Selling pirated goods is indeed most definitely more serious than just sharing it amongst your friends. While the first could still be considered "fair use", the latter is more than just a petty crime.

The same goes for sharing it on big-time file sharing fora in a more or less professional way, even if there is no direct financial gain involved.

I'm still wondering why someone would actually do this, if there's no direct financial gain and the potential consequences are dire...

quote: Mike Blakesley
People often float the "excuse" that "they weren't going to buy tickets anyway so what's the harm?" The harm is, the pirate is taking the VALUE of the property. He is having the experience of the copyrighted property without paying for it. Let's say there is an outdoor rock concert and I sneak over the fence and stand just outside the paid area and listen to the music, I'm stealing that ticket money from the performers because I'm experiencing the concert ... even if I never intended to buy a ticket in the first place, I'm not taking any tangible property, but I'm still getting what the ticket offered.
No, you're not stealing, you're depriving them of that money. Stealing would be taking money out of the box office when they're not looking.

Please note, I'm not trying to condone piracy here in any way. Actually, I've even made critical comments regarding copyright infringements on this very forum. (Like quoting an article in full or posting links to "illegal" downloads.)

What I do want to stress is that this fight against "cams" or content recorded in some cinema is a useless fight. There will always be a theater were somebody manages to sneak in a "recording device" and it will find its way on-line. Yet, I doubt that those "cams" hurt the bottom line very much, because those people that watch this stuff, will not spend a single dollar on the real thing anyway.

The same goes for the people that watch a concert by sneaking in outside the paid area. They're not getting the full experience anyway. So you could go to all possible lengths and try to avoid those cheap bastards, but in the end it will not sell an extra ticket anyway.

Then again, I'm convinced that a premature DVD or even Blu-Ray quality leak can quite seriously hurt sales, especially for movies that aren't that highly anticipated. People downloading this content, get the "full product", without paying a dime.

quote: Frank Cox
Yeah, your majesty doesn't allow you to record "performance of a cinematographic work" in a movie theater. But, like you put it yourself, filming in the theater itself is NOT prohibited by law. I then add to the fact that even filming said "performance of a cinematographic work" is not automatically a criminal act around HERE, which is not ruled by your majesty, we've got our own...

quote: Jack Ondracek
It's always fascinating to read posts from people who find creative ways to rationalize downloading and consuming the product of other people's efforts.
I suspect their attitude would be much different, were they themselves the producers of said content.

Who in this thread is actually rationalizing "downloading and consuming the product of other people's efforts"?

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-25-2014 09:12 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, you're not stealing, you're depriving them of that money.
Like I said, you not stealing something you can hold in your hand, but you ARE stealing the EXPERIENCE. It's intangible, but it's still something that legitimate customers are paying for.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 08-25-2014 09:28 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, if I buy a ticket...get in...and then I sneak into the boxoffice and take the money back...that would be stealing though the final outcome is identical (presuming I stand in the same place either time)...or does the threshold of "stealing" come in if they count the money before I take it back? That is, if they "know" how much money they have first?

It is STEALING in all examples...it was not your concert/performance/whatever to experience, listen to, watch...whatever you want to call it. Your willingness to ever pay is not relevant, it wasn't yours to make the judgement on in the first place. Your choices are to either purchase the limited license to use the performance as per the license or to forgo it in your life.

Recording the performance is even worse because one is then copying the work and now controlling a product they do not own. Showing it to one's friends is now giving that product away and devaluing it for everyone. Selling it, takes it another step further by showing it has value but likely devaluing it by providing a cheaper alternative to the genuine article as well as depriving the copyright holder any value from their product.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: