Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Studio film processing inhouse 1930s

Author Topic: Studio film processing inhouse 1930s
Steve Matz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-27-2014 03:35 PM      Profile for Steve Matz   Email Steve Matz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't think this has been posted before;Interesting Read!

http://silverscreenmodes.com/?p=165

|  IP: Logged

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 08-27-2014 06:02 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Teaser topics are against the rules.

Steve Matz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-27-2014 06:39 PM      Profile for Steve Matz   Email Steve Matz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing teasing about it;I was showing how the Film Studios did everything inhouse and had their own processing labs, etc. What! are you the new Forum Police! [Roll Eyes]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-27-2014 06:40 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The article has a lot of inaccuracies, such as a 90-minute movie requiring nine 2000-foot reels, the last Paramount movie distributed on film being Anchorman II, and of course this fun typo:

quote:
Only now the actors don’t get so many beaks.
And this:

quote:
A 90 minute movie is usually 10,000 feet of film. If you’ve ever looked through developed film stock, it’s amazing how many frames it takes to advance a scene. Modern reels of film come in 2000 ft. lengths, so that’s almost nine reels of film per movie, and many movies last longer than 90 minutes.
Huh? First off, a 90-minute movie is closer to 8100 feet of film. And, his basic math is wrong; and even if he was right about 10,000 feet, that would fit (duh) on five 2000-foot reels.

Some of these bloggers really need fact checkers and/or proofreaders before they put their words out for posterity.

Steve - a better forum thread title would have been "Article with pics showing how film was processed in the past" or something describing the article.

Buck Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-27-2014 06:46 PM      Profile for Buck Wilson   Email Buck Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's a very touching documentary video in the comments.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-27-2014 06:48 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Please fix your teaser subject title Steve.

Steve Matz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-27-2014 07:09 PM      Profile for Steve Matz   Email Steve Matz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The touching Documentary Video Buck Mentioned [thumbsup]

http://vimeo.com/101235645
Going Dark...The Final Days of Film Projection

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 08-27-2014 07:28 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Article
A 90 minute movie is usually 10,000 feet of film. If you’ve ever looked through developed film stock, it’s amazing how many frames it takes to advance a scene. Modern reels of film come in 2000 ft. lengths, so that’s almost nine reels of film per movie, and many movies last longer than 90 minutes.
So firstly this "journalist" can't even get the basic math right, and secondly, look closely at the picture labelled "Theater projection room, circa 1930s". Those rectifiers are Irems, circa 1990s.

Steve Matz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-27-2014 07:34 PM      Profile for Steve Matz   Email Steve Matz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually LEO it says Projection Room 1950's,but I agree those Rectifiers are newer looking than ones from the 50's [Wink]

Buck Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-27-2014 08:52 PM      Profile for Buck Wilson   Email Buck Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I noticed that too. Passes pretty well otherwise. My first thought seeing those rectifiers was "Hey! We had one of those up until we closed! Surely they aren't THAT old....."

Terry Lynn-Stevens
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-27-2014 09:30 PM      Profile for Terry Lynn-Stevens   Email Terry Lynn-Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The pictures from the old times are pretty cool. Other than that, the article write up sucks.

I have said in a few other threads that film will still be around on a very limited scale going forward.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 08-28-2014 12:49 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What! are you the new Forum Police! [Roll Eyes]
You'll find that usually whoever happens upon a thread first is the one that tells someone about the mistake. And because of the time zone difference here in South Korea, I was up at work before most of the other members...

And really, when I mention a rule like this, it's only because I've seen Brad respond extremely negatively to them and he's the one in-charge. And incidentally, he responded exactly as I expected...

Jarod Reddig
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-29-2014 01:02 AM      Profile for Jarod Reddig   Email Jarod Reddig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Really cool article! Great vid too.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: