Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » What kind of cars have you had? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: What kind of cars have you had?
Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-03-2014 09:46 AM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The other car topic got my brain going into overdrive.(pun intended). I'm trying to recall all of my past cars. Some of these pictures are stock, some are mine.

My 4 Favorites in order by year:

I was 18 years old. I went through 1 clutch, broke the rear axle and blew the engine. Fastest damn car yet. 1968 327 4 speed
(stock internet picture, but same as mine)

-

Before engagement. 1980 (Stock picture, but looked identical to mine) had to sell for marriage [fu] Entered it in 1 car show.

-

1982 picture taken in my driveway in St Augustine. Had to sell because of divorce [fu]

-

The recent one thats in the other post. 1997 in my driveway, still have the luxery of owning it [beer]

-
Just cleaning it up for my daily drive [Smile] I've gotten more compliments on this car than all my others combined.

More to come as I remember them. No more Vettes though, unless this post goes on for a while

|  IP: Logged

Steve Matz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-03-2014 12:40 PM      Profile for Steve Matz   Email Steve Matz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1968 was the first year of the new Mako Shark Concept type body style. You could still order the 427 L88 Engine Option for another 500+ dollars. Also last year for the ignition/key switch to be mounted on the Dash. The Coupe model base price back then was around $4100.00 Convertibles were a couple hundred cheaper(now look how much higher they are than a coupe)

1980 was the last year of Vettes being assembled at the old ST.LOUIS Facility. This facility was old when Chevy started assembling Vettes in 1954. It had been an old PACKARD Assembly line prior. Paint,fit finish, on the last few years in St Louis were at an all time low.My 75 was not to bad, the 79 looked like Blue Primer,worst paint job of any car I had;even contacted the Regional Sales Rep to complain. 1980 California Vettes could only get the 305 Engine. Last 1980 vette came off St Louis assembly line in JUNE. Bowling Green started production in JULY.A 1980 Bowling Green Assembled vette is pretty rare since they shut down the line in August for retooling for the 81 year in September. Fit and Finish at the new BG Facility was like a whole new world for Vettes. BG has probably one of the most state of Art Paint Facilities in the World...

1982 was last year for the 80-82 body style.Only big change was a cross fire throttle body Fuel Injection system. No 1983 Corvette;GM had delays in Parts,Tooling,etc. and decided it would be an 84 Model which still appeared in Showrooms as early as March of 83. Whole new bodystyle w/ a clam shell opening front clip. Had one of these on order but it kept getting kicked back because the Manual MM4 4speed Trannies were always on backorder. An after market Doug Nash 5 speed was supposed to be available for the 84 model but never came about. I finally cancelled the order on this Car and I'm glad I did. They had something like 5 recalls right off the bat and they bring the least amount of money for a Used vette even today. I've seen them with very low mileage going for under 9 grand...Price really started to jump also. You could get into an 82 for around 17 grand, The 84 was right at 23 Grand...Now look where there at... [Eek!]

If you ordered the Optional Glass tinted Roof Panels for an 80-82 vette at your local GM Parts counter back then;they were 800 Dollars. (The Optional L82 V8 back then was just over 500 dollars. Figure that one out.) [Confused] [Roll Eyes]

Sean Weitzel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-03-2014 02:23 PM      Profile for Sean Weitzel   Email Sean Weitzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's my list in order starting when I earned my driver license in 1992. All have been used cars. I've never bought a brand new vehicle in my life.:

1963 4 door Chrysler Newport, white, 361 v8 pushbutton auto. Inherited from my great aunt when she passed away. Sold to roomate who eventually abandoned it somewhere.

1973 VW standard bug, Orange, 1600cc and automatic stickshift. Got me though high school. Sold (for a profit!) when I needed something more reliable for a 100 mile a day PC repair service route.

1991 Saturn SL2, white, 1.9L twin cam 5 speed manual. Closest thing to a new car. Bought used at a dealership. Eventually gave to a friend's step daughter for her first car.

1988 Plymouth voyager, blue, 3.0L V6, automatic. (my parents old van. bought from them when they were going to trade it in. Eventually sold on ebay.

1969 VW standard bug convertible, blue, 1500CC, 4 speed. This was a project I took to bare metal and rebuilt from the ground up. Sold to help pay for my wedding.

1979 VW high roof bus, white, 2000cc, 4 speed. A project that never got off the ground. parted out. Never driven.

1981 DeLorean DMC-12. Bought from original owner. owned for 10 years, put 13,000 miles on it. Recently sold on ebay due to financial situation changing and also lack of interest in it anymore.

1993 Ford F250, white, 5.8L gas, automatic. Eventually sold to help pay for wedding.

1993 Ford Explorer XL, green, 4.0L v6, 4 door, 5 speed. Donated to charity after no longer passing emissions testing and a bad 5th gear in the transmission.

1968 Dodge D100 pickup, blue and rust, 225 slant 6, 3 speed column shift. This was a housewarming gift for our property. It doesn't leave the property. Just a ranch truck.

1996 Ford Explorer XLT, green, 4.0L v6, 4 door, 5 speed. I love used explorers because they are cheap, 4wd for snow, and plentiful. This one sold at the beginning of this year because we needed something bigger:

1999 Ford Expedition, black, 4.6L v8, 4 door, automatic. We drive this pig currently.

1999 Subaru Legacy Outback, green, 2.5L, 4 door, 5 speed. We drive this currently as well.

2001 Honda Insight hybrid, blue, 1.0L hybrid, 2 door, CVT. This was our long distance commuter but 230k on the high voltage battery pack took its toll. We are currently rebuilding the pack with reconditioned cells and hope to put this back on the road by fall.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-03-2014 03:43 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've always been a Ford guy. Partly because we have a Ford dealership in town here and they have always been good customers of ours, but I've just always liked Ford products.

My first car was a 1973 Mustang, but since then I have always bought new cars. When I first started owning cars I was living at home with very low expenses, so the payments were easy. Plus I don't really go in for a lot of fancy "stuff" in my life (I've always only had one car, and I have no boat, RV, snowmobile, motorcycle or jet ski, and I don't hunt, fish, smoke, drink or gamble) but my vehicle is my one "indulgence."

I have had:

1973 Ford Mustang, 351C (man that thing was a mover). I got it in 1975. When I traded it in, the guy who bought it had the motor blow up on him after about two months so I guess I got out of it at the right time.

"1977 1/2" white/green Ford Mustang Cobra II with a 302, T-roof and all. It was called a "'77 and a half" because they changed the paint style mid-year. It was the first Cobra II in the state, I was told. Very cool car. It had a stick shift, which was an adjustment from the '73 which had an automatic. I had learned to drive a manual tranny in my dad's 1947 Willys Jeep, so I was amazed how easy the '77 was to shift!

1980 Mustang with a 2.3L 4-cylinder. White with a rust-colored vinyl top. For some reason at that time I had started thinking, "man I need to settle down." So I got the 4-banger to save on gas, basically. Big mistake....it was an OK car but it was totally gutless. I hated it after a while, so I went to....

1981 Mercury Zephyr, 3.3L 6cyl and an automatic tranny. It was yellow and gold. A little more fancy than the Mustangs. After I had it for 3 weeks, I got into a head-on collision with a drunk driver who had no insurance. Lucky, nobody was badly hurt (it happened in town) but I got 3 stitches in my chin from it. A girl I was hoping to "woo" was in the car with me, and the accident pretty much ended THAT adventure! I wanted to get it totaled and replaced, but the insurance company and dealership were $900 apart on the price. Eventually they met in the middle and I got a new identical second version of that car.

1982 white Thunderbird with a 4.2. My first car with a built-in cassette deck (everything else up to now had been 8-tracks). It was the year they redesigned the T-bird from a very long-nosed car into a smaller, more sporty car. It was really aerodynamic and fun to drive compared to the Zephyr.

In '83 they came out with the zero-percent loans for the first time, so just on a whim I priced out what it would cost to trade the '82 in on an '83. I found out that by just extending my payment for a couple of months, and dropping the interest to zero, I could get an '83 T-bird, so I did. It was basically the same as the '82 but it was maroon colored. I beat the crap out of that car -- I must have been going through a rebellious period or something, I neglected it a lot. I paid the price; by the time I traded it off, in 1992, it was using a lot of oil.

1992 Ranger with a 4.0 - my first pickup. I decided it made more sense to have a pickup, considering I was always hauling stuff around for the theater. In 1999 I started dating my now-wife, so I put a LOT of miles on the truck going back and forth to Billings to see her.

2000 Ranger with 4.0 - the Ranger had been redesigned and looked a lot more like a mini-F-150. A very nice truck for the price, about 10 grand less than the F-150 and it was perfect for what I needed. I drove this until 2003, and at that point, my dad was looking for a new "in-town" pickup -- he had been driving a 1989 Ranger that was pretty much shot. So I sold him my 2000 and got a 2003 Ranger, which was pretty much the exact same truck except for the color. My mom still drives the 2000 around.

2011 black Ranger -- my current pickup and another 4.0. It's almost identical to the 2003 except for the color. It's quite the throwback -- it has no fancy electronics outside of the satellite radio and a USB port. Ford has now discontinued the Ranger and doesn't really offer anything that would replace it (for my needs at least) so, not sure what I will shoot for next. I probably won't need to worry about it for about 8 years at least!

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-03-2014 05:48 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We were a Nash/Rambler family while I was growing up.

Father had a 1952 Nash Custom, then in 1955 traded it off for a Nash Ambassador Pina Farina Edition with the Continental Kit. He had that car for years until the unibody welds started to break and cancer was spreading all of the due to these welds. Then, he went with Chrysler products and has a 1984 Imperial to this day.

I inherited the 1963 Rambler American 440H when I graduated from high school (vehicle with the twin stick, three speed/w OD) and two barrel carb to give that 196ci straight OHV 6 almost 160 hp.

I then traded that Rambler off for a 1972 Gremlin X with the 304ci V8 under the hood. Thing had a 3.91 for the rear end making it quick off the line, but with a 3speed, was a bit limited, but still had fun with it.

Yet, in this time, gas was between 26 to 29 cents a gallon making filling the 23 gallon tank in that Gremlin like a little over 7 bucks.

Then, the 1973 embargo hit and so did driving habits since the price of fuel, two years later hop from 29 cents to 60 cents a gallon. Thus, it was time to rid of the V-8 and think economy. Got sold with imports and went with a 1976 Toyota Corolla with that little Hemi 1600cc 4cylinder motor.

Been with imports since, outside of a 1989 Dodge Caravan with the Mitz 6G72 (3L) V6 that had issues with valve guides dropping and had to get that all fixed.

In 2005, bought my first GM vehicle, being a 2001 Saturn L100 and loved that car until, with only 58k on the odo, it was showing me that this thing is going to live in the shop for most of its life. Thus, it went to a Kia dealership as a trade in for a new Rondo in 2008 which we still have presently and no issues with it.

As for my DD vehicle, I drive a 1990 Ply Laser Turbo that I bought for a song (less than a grand) back in 2008. Had to do some electrical repairs that were just simply needed, but as for the moment, runs like a dream. Even though the body was built in Illinois (Normal), the drive train is from Mitsubishi.

I had too many other import vehicles in between then and now to where I list track of them, or just too many to list-should have just stuck with one and drove it til the wheels fell off.

Steve Matz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-03-2014 06:45 PM      Profile for Steve Matz   Email Steve Matz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of all the Cars/Trucks I've owned this was my favorite;even over the Vettes. It is a 1970 El Camino that I bought new on my Birthday in 70. I really babied this car;box never had anything hauled in it,Flawless Paint. Was a 350 w/ 4 speed. This happen exactly one year later to the day on my Birthday in 71.

This is what the Bumper of a 18 Wheeler Tractor can do to your car. I was going down Montana Ave/Billings- which was controlled back then by BURLINGTON NORTHERN TRUCKING. This guy pulled right out in front of me and this was the result. Didn't even hardly scratch the paint on his Rig. Took 3 months to fix and it was Crap when I got it back. Don't care how good a job a Bodyshop does;when you wreck something with frame damage,etc. they never ride the same again;plus all the squeaks & rattles you never had before. I sold it 2 weeks after I got it back. I'm just glad nobody was with me or they wouldn't have a head any longer. The POS Driver didn't even get a Ticket and BN charged my Insurance company for 3 days out of service when their Rig didn't even have hardly a scratch on it... [thumbsdown]

-

-

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-03-2014 11:01 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like the trailer didn't have the "Mansfield" bumper on it. Looks like the corner of the trailer is what nailed you good.

Yea "Heavy Chevy" 1970 Malibu.

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 09-04-2014 12:06 AM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My dad, being a VW service manager, naturally raised me as a VW guy. I'm not really mechanically inclined, but knew enough about them to understand what to expect and how to keep them hobbled together. So that's what I drove until everything moved away from mechanical and more into electrical. All of the VW's noted had manual transmissions.

My first was a black '74 Super Beetle ($150) with red vinyl interior. The floor pans were rusted out so bad we permanently bolted the seats in place to where they never could be adjusted again and welded sheet metal below them. It also had a fumy gas tank that made those few brave enough to ride in it ill.

My second was a red '74 Super Beetle ($650) with white vinyl interior. It had no reverse gear, so I always had to take care to park uphill.

Then a yellow '75 VW Dasher wagon ($500) with fake wood paneling and a factory 8-track stereo (left channel in the center of the dash, right channel in the right rear hatch panel). Moved to North Dakota in a snowy November (1986) in that thing and had random electrical issues that I eventually figured out was due to a piece of metal from an old fuse making contact with other fuses in the engine-mounted fuse box while digging through it in a howling wind at a Husky truck stop somewhere in Montana. That trip was also the only time I've ever been to Forsyth. Had a hot dog and a Coke for dinner at their 7-Eleven. The transmission went out on that car a year later, and a biker guy I knew who worked at a junk yard managed to make an old Subaru transmission work in it for $600.

Then I made the mistake of picking up a horrible brown '79 Rabbit ($1100) which quickly developed serious fuel issues I couldn't resolve. I actually owned it AND the Dasher simultaneously because the Rabbit was unreliable.

Then a black '84 1/2 Scirocco ($5900), one of my favorite cars ever, and the first I ever financed.

Then a dark blue '89 Fox ($2000) base model with a four-speed manual, no A/C, and a paint color that was different than the original factory color (which was metallic blue), but which looked way better. It was small and basic but super easy to work on and generally reliable. I think the only time it ever gave me a scare was when it warned I was overheating when I wasn't due to a faulty thermostat.

Then a red '90 Corrado G60 ($7900). Worst car ever. Electrical and engine issues that probably cost me as much as the original purchase price. An engine mount failed and the accelerator cable connector broke from the gas pedal, leaving me stranded in rural Idaho. A mechanic in Paul, Idaho helped me jury rig it so I could continue on.

The Corrado issues resulted in the purchase of a high mileage '86 Jetta ($650) to serve as cheap backup transportation. Also, I really loved the look of the second generation Jettas. I actually ended up putting a couple of grand into it and ran it around for about five years. Wife #1 used it as her daily driver for awhile too. Actually, she sold it to a friend of hers.

Then I got a dark blue '00 New Beetle GLX ($11,900), with the 20-valve turbo four. Favorite car ever. It had its quirks, but they were worth it.

That was my last VW. I moved on to the Nissan Rogue, the most reliable car I've ever had, and the first new car I've ever purchased.

Which, when you consider I was driving VW's all those years, isn't saying much.

Steve Matz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2014 12:42 AM      Profile for Steve Matz   Email Steve Matz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Monte;Nash Ramblers weren't what you would call a PU$$ Car back in the Day [Wink]
I did like the METROPOLITAN [thumbsup] Remember Earl from "DINER" the one they use to bet on how much of the menu he would order [Eek!] The Guy was a Monster and you see him leave the Diner in a METROPOLITAN [beer] I thought for sure the Big Hudson(either commodore or Hornet) was his Car! Guessed Wrong..

-
Temporary Happiness [Razz]

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2014 06:49 AM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, when I look at the rear end of your 2014 car and compare it to mine, all I see are two American Supercars.

-

If I only had about 60-80k laying around [Frown]

The first few cars that I drove in High school:

Unsure what year Pontiac J2000 sedan (parents car). When fully loaded with 4 teenagers, top speed 40mph. It was a 4 cylinder beast

Early eighties Delta 88 Royale.

77 Monte Carlo. Bought that boat from my best friends brother. Lost my virginity in that big back seat [sex]

2nd generation Buick Regal Turbo. I got at a car auction. Looked good, ran like shit. Turbo had been removed.

Hand me down from my brother: (yes thats me in the mid 80's)
 -

Straight 6 OHC 3 speed. Quick and fun to drive. That car got handed down to my sister when she turned 16. I objected, saying theres no power steering, she can't drive it AND it's a stick. GET HER A DAMN J2000!!! The next day it had girly stickers all over the dash and door panels. Had I known then how much that car is worth... [Frown]

Looking back, I think I got the Buick after high school. Theres also a 73 Cutlass in that high school mix somewhere. 2 door coupe 350 rocket, bucket seats, Crager mags! Also a hand down from my brother. It was like rotating stock for a while.

Those are all the cars I had but didn't buy myself (high school days).

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-04-2014 09:30 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yea, did forget that one: Between the '52 Statesman and the '55 Ambassador, since dad ordered the Ambassador, the dealership let him have a little blue and white "Met" to use in the meantime as a loaner since they already took the Statesman in.

Now, that was a fun little car, and for a four year old, I had the time of my life being in that passenger seat with mom or dad driving that "Met".

Steve Matz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2014 10:24 PM      Profile for Steve Matz   Email Steve Matz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How could you not Love a Car that looked like this [Eek!]

-
1957 NASH METROPOLITAN

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-05-2014 01:34 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd buy one in a drastic heartbeat!

Three on the tree and a flat top 4cylinder - a little town scooter all they were, but "oh so unique!"

Steve Matz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-05-2014 02:34 AM      Profile for Steve Matz   Email Steve Matz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Forget about the 4 Banger;This METRO is going Full Bore [Eek!] [beer]

-

Buck Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-06-2014 12:12 AM      Profile for Buck Wilson   Email Buck Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
^^Those Metropolitans are cute!!!

My personal list, directly copy and pasted from the list I keep so I don't forget them. Haha. *Asterisks indicate currently owned vehicles

1. 1984 Pontiac 6000 LE 2.8 carb'd V6 auto
2. 1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera SL 3100 V6 auto
3. 1991 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme s 3.1 V6 auto
4. 1993 Ford Escort GT 1.8 DOHC L4 5-speed
5. 2005 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP supered 3800 V6 auto
6. 1989 Pontiac Grand Prix SE 2.8 V6 5-speed
7. 1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34 3800 V6 auto
8. 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP Comp G supered 3800 V6 auto
9. 1991 Pontiac Grand Prix SE 3.4 DOHC V6 5-speed
10. 1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Convertible 3.4 DOHC V6 auto
11. 1991 Ford Festiva L 1.3 SOHC L4 5-speed
12. 1994 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 3.4 DOHC V6 auto
13. 1991 Ford Festiva L 1.3 SOHC L4 5-speed
*14. 1988 Pontiac Grand Prix SE 2.8 v6 5-speed
15. 1991 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 3.4 DOHC v6 5-speed
16. 2006 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LT 3500 v6 auto
17. 1993 Ford Festiva GL 1.3 SOHC L4 5-speed Swapped to 1.6 B6 SOHC L4
18. 1999 Pontiac Grand Prix SE 3100 V6 auto
*19. 1996 Chevrolet Silverado 4x4 Z71 5.7 350 V8 auto
20. 1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Convertible 3.4 DOHC V6 auto

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: