Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Looking for fuzzy door weatherstrip...?

Author Topic: Looking for fuzzy door weatherstrip...?
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-03-2014 02:12 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am looking for some of this stuff that goes into the slot on our outside doors. I guess it's weatherstrip but I can't find it listed anywhere under that name. I'm not sure of the brand of doors we have.

Anybody ever see this stuff or know a source for it? The last time we got it, which was about 20 years ago or so, I think it came in an 8 foot length and we just trimmed to fit.

-

|  IP: Logged

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-03-2014 02:35 PM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you're stumped you might try looking for a Kawneer dealer, or Kawneer themselves. They're the biggest manufacturer of those aluminum doors and may sell the material or put you on to someone who does. Good luck.

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-03-2014 03:26 PM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe these guys have what you need:

web page

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 09-03-2014 03:39 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The guy who installed the doors will have replacement fuzz. Probably not available at Home Depot; commercial grade.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-03-2014 03:46 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I looked at the Kawneer website but the stuff we have has a flat plastic backing; the Kawneer stuff seems to have a thicker backing that goes into a deep slot on the door. As you can tell, our doors have a shallow slot -- the plastic backing just slides under the edges of the slot. I seem to remember that they ARE Kawneer doors though, so maybe they have changed the design.

Actually the site Rick recommended has the closest-looking stuff I've seen...maybe I can get them to send me a sample. Thanks Rick.

Louis - I have no idea who installed the doors, it was 34 years ago. The guy is probably dead by now! [Smile]

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 09-03-2014 03:51 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you tried asking a glass shop? There are three or four outfits around here that make custom windows and doors; if I was looking for that stuff I would be asking them about it.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-03-2014 07:09 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We're having a bit of work done on some of the windows upstairs -- I will ask that guy about it. He's pretty good at tracking stuff down.

Jeff Kane
Film Handler

- posted 09-03-2014 07:27 PM      Profile for Jeff Kane   Email Jeff Kane   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This stuff?

SWISCO Wool Pile

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-03-2014 11:28 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jeff I think you nailed it! Measurements are right. I'll order it up. Thank you.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: