Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Imax Forrest Gump ad (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Imax Forrest Gump ad
Geoff Jones
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-14-2014 10:29 PM      Profile for Geoff Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Geoff Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just logged into Imax.com to see if they had Interstellar 70MM locations (nope) and I noticed this ad, which I found to be somewhat ironic, considering that almost all Imax locations now project 2k digital onto large-ish screens.

-
http://www.imax.com/community/blog/imax-never-compromise/

|  IP: Logged

Terry Lynn-Stevens
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-14-2014 10:39 PM      Profile for Terry Lynn-Stevens   Email Terry Lynn-Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't lie Geoff, you're full of shit. You logged on to find out what's playing this week at IMAX theaters in your area.

Anyways, its a shit ad and IMAX is not doing well right now as there really is nothing playing in IMAX. They kind of look desperate and silly with this ad. Plus, IMAX is increasingly becoming content reliant for their financials. Forrest Gump IMAX tickets were $6 for the entire week long engaegment in Canada.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 09-14-2014 10:42 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, Steve Kraus had a discussion about the same ad going on in a thread on Facebook. It's quite a comical ad, particularly that "never compromise" thing.

What's really funny is IMAX' implication that phone & tablet users are watching a badly rasterized, pixellated, Atari 2600 looking version of a movie when in fact most new cell phones and tablets have at least 1080p HD resolution or better. Some new phones are even boasting 4K resolution capability. Yet IMAX' digital-based theaters are stuck at 2K.

If anything IMAX could apply that Atari 2600 accusation to their own switch from extreme rez 15-perf 70mm film projection to consumer HD rez 2K digital projection. IMAX is the one pushing those blocky pixels now. So much for never compromising.
[Roll Eyes]

quote: Terry Lynn-Stevens
Don't lie Geoff, you're full of shit. You logged on to find out what's playing this week at IMAX theaters in your area.
He's not lying Terry. I just visited IMAX' home page. The first thing I saw was a big pop up of the same ad with a "continue to IMAX" link at the bottom of it.

-

Buck Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-14-2014 11:24 PM      Profile for Buck Wilson   Email Buck Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What a joke. You could have a better presentation 20 years ago than in a current IMAX house.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-14-2014 11:40 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
True. How long is IMAX gonna BS the public with this nonsense where the ones who've seen 15/70mm presentations remember how much better the image was on the screen.

Film is going to come back .. one of these days.

-Monte

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 09-15-2014 01:51 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1) Why would you think he was lying?
2) And why so rude about it?

Jarod Reddig
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-15-2014 04:30 AM      Profile for Jarod Reddig   Email Jarod Reddig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Quote:
Film is going to come back .. one of these days.

-Monte

Film is basically dead. Whats gunna happen is eventually DCI Projectors will equal or surpass the performance of large format film in all areas. Its not if its when. Having said that I love film and miss it.

Also this add is so damn retarded.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 09-15-2014 09:22 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Film may be on its death bed, but it doesn't deserve to be in that position. Digital projection still isn't better than film done right. Video cameras still don't deliver the "film look" and detail of film better than professional motion picture film cameras. There is always some compromise going on somewhere with digital.

Sure, digital video technology may eventually surpass the capabilities of 4-perf 35mm film and perhaps even 5-perf 70mm. But we're not there yet. More video cameras are supporting 4K capture (with some going 5K and 6K), but they need to be doing a whole lot more with color depth. I think that's one of the keys to imitating the film look correctly, especially when the imagery is going to be altered in post production. Unfortunately it will take an obscene amount of data bandwidth and storage to do it right. Basic 8-bit video uncompressed, be it 2K or 4K consumes a hell of a lot of hard disc space.

Another problem is the digital camera sensor designs. Some already have "global shutter" designs, which helps. But why do so many of them need to be 35mm sized? If you have an even bigger camera sensor, like something on the order of a 5-perf 65mm sized film frame, you're going to have bigger pixels, which in turn will be able to see better quality light and color. This is one reason why large format digital cameras capture better image quality than a DSLR and also why DSLR cameras outdo the microscopic cameras in smart phones.

I'm actually concerned high end video camera technology might have hit a glass ceiling along the lines of "it's already good enough." The same may hold true for d-cinema projector technology. Some theaters may go the laser route, but what will get developed beyond that?

The stagnating consumer electronics sector is a big warning sign in all of this. New 4K resolution TV sets aren't selling all that well. One reason is because the electronics companies have yet to come up with a simple effective way of distributing 4K movies in retail. The other reason is most people are 100% satisfied with their current 1080p HDTV. They'll buy a new TV when the current one breaks and can't be repaired several years later. Movie studios are quietly sabotaging Blu-ray and physical media in general. Average Internet speeds are too slow to make 4K streaming practical, at least in terms of delivering content truly 4K in resolution.

It's already been clear that Hollywood has been making movies tailored more for the home HDTV set rather than the big movie theater screen. With that in mind, they might be able to push technology farther to beat film image quality. But why go to that trouble if the current methods are good enough?

Terry Lynn-Stevens
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-15-2014 10:40 AM      Profile for Terry Lynn-Stevens   Email Terry Lynn-Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
Sure, digital video technology may eventually surpass the capabilities of 4-perf 35mm film and perhaps even 5-perf 70mm. But we're not there yet.
Film makers are already using large format digital cameras, the new IMAX digital camera is a using a sensor that is the same size as the image area of a 15/70 film camera.

quote: Jarod Reddig
Whats gunna happen is eventually DCI Projectors will equal or surpass the performance of large format film in all areas. Its not if its when. Having said that I love film and miss it.
Agreed, the ceiling on film has already been hit decades ago. Digital projection will continue to get better and better.

quote: Jarod Reddig
Also this add is so damn retarded.
I totally agree, it is a pretty bad ad. Releasing Forrest Gump in IMAX was a stupid idea to begin with.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 09-15-2014 02:58 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't lie Geoff, you're full of shit.
Have you been looking into the mirror lately?

This stupid ad is all over their front page. And if I wanted to know what's playing THIS WEEK in my local Fake-MAX theater, I would check the sites of those theaters, not imax.com.

quote: Chris Slycord
2) And why so rude about it?
Probably because, like Brad already mentioned in other topics, he's an IMAX astroturfer with bad manners.

quote: Monte L Fullmer
True. How long is IMAX gonna BS the public with this nonsense where the ones who've seen 15/70mm presentations remember how much better the image was on the screen.
The "populace" around here is learning. While watching the Guardians of the Galaxy as of late (not in D-IMAX I might add), I've heard people behind me talking about IMAX and how they remember it differently... And the fact that the picture was so bad because it was so blown up and that the sound was more like a rock concert than a cinema experience... It was a little bit if I heard myself talking. And no, I didn't forget to take my meds.

And what makes this ad extra sad is that my "mobile device" has about the same resolution as this frickin' IMAX device...

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 09-15-2014 04:21 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Film makers are already using large format digital cameras, the new IMAX digital camera is a using a sensor that is the same size as the image area of a 15/70 film camera.
That needlessly heavy IMAX camera was first used on the latest Transformers sequel. It's hardly qualifies as something in the "filmmakers have already standardized on a bigger image sensor" thing. Seeing how it is made specifically for IMAX' branded films only there's not a whole lot of build-out potential for 3rd party companies, like lens companies such as Zeiss and Angénieux, to support it.

What I'm talking about is getting video camera companies (that aren't attached to IMAX) to move up from arguably small "Super35" sized sensors to at least something like a 5-perf 65mm sized sensor design and then maybe even go proportionately larger than that. It involves more than just coming up with a new sensor though. Entire product lines of lenses have to be developed to support it, and that's probably an even bigger challenge than just coming up with a newer, bigger sensor -even a bigger sensor that supports global shutter operation and other goodies most current sensors lack.

Agreed, the ceiling on film has already been hit decades ago. Digital projection will continue to get better and better.
I'm not nearly as optimistic about digital. If the drive was really there to make image quality better and better we would already be seeing it on the production and post production end. That isn't happening. 2K is still more common than 4K. With the way physical media has quietly come under attack on the home video front, I strongly suspect an effort to dumb down quality levels. It's as if the lesser quality standards of digital cable and Internet streaming are going to force a "low fi" step backwards.

Meanwhile, the digital fanboys out there are, at some point, going to get a little more irritated having to leap frog huge amounts of precious data from one digital storage device to another, before one storage container (be it a hard drive or data tape) degrades and loses the files it holds forever. This problem is going to be another thing that holds down digital video quality levels. 8K movies? At better than basic color depth? What studio is going to want to pay all that money extra to back up that much more data particularly if they think 2K is good enough?

At least some people are starting to realize it might be a good idea to have an "analog" backup of that high priced movie product. The digital-based archive files are far more volatile and less reliable than a 35mm archival safety print.

quote: Marcel Birgelen
And what makes this ad extra sad is that my "mobile device" has about the same resolution as this frickin' IMAX device...
Actually, if you want to get into real resolution terms, such as pixels per inch ratings, those small devices are a lot higher in resolution that the image blown up on an IMAX Digital screen.

A lot of marketing hype has gone into the high resolution displays in mobile devices like smart phones and tablets. Apple certainly turned the "Retina Display" into a household term. Google then released Nexus tablets with even higher PPI ratings. Several new smart phone models have greater than 1080p resolution displays (2560 X 1440 for instance) and can even shoot 4K video.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-15-2014 04:48 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You guys are being too hard on the ad. It might be ill-conceived to attach that kind of ad to something like Forrest Gump (an old movie) but the bottom line intent of the ad is to let people know that movies are better on the big screen than on a 4" diagonal hand held screen.

Too bad the WHOLE industry doesn't embrace such an ad concept. Any movie theater with a good presentation is a better way to watch a movie than on a handheld "device."

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 09-15-2014 05:01 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While I agree with the underlying message, it's hard to just ignore the irony of especially IMAX dreaming this up.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-15-2014 05:24 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed on that.

IMAX is not doing well right now as there really is nothing playing in IMAX. They kind of look desperate and silly with this ad. Plus, IMAX is increasingly becoming content reliant for their financials.
Every movie theater is "content reliant."

Also, nobody is exactly "doing well right now" because this is always the slowest time of the year. (Of course the news media forgets that every year and predicts that we're all going to fall into the toilet, until the big Christmas season numbers start rolling in and everything's all right again.)

Geoff Jones
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-15-2014 08:36 PM      Profile for Geoff Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Geoff Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Digital projection will continue to get better and better.
In another thread, one operator said he spent more money on two digital projection systems than he did on his house. How much will it cost theatres to upgrade from 2k digital to 4k? And then 4k to 8k? How about an upgrade that has decent contrast? Are cinema owners making enough to support those upgrades? If so, I'm jealous. You guys must be raking it in.

quote: Mike Blakesley
You guys are being too hard on the ad.
Imax has gone from having the best available resolution on all of their screens to having the worst available resolution on almost all of their screens in just a few years.

Their tag line says "Never Compromise"

The very first thing I thought when I saw the Gump picture was, "Wow, that reminds me of what Raiders of the Lost Ark looked like when I saw it in Liemax." No, it didn't look that bad, but the image reminded me of it. I felt like I was watching it through a screen door.

I don't think it's possible to be too hard on that ad.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: