Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Windows 7 ?? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Windows 7 ??
Steve Matz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-24-2014 04:30 PM      Profile for Steve Matz   Email Steve Matz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have Windows 7 Home-Version...What is the deal with the constant updates they keep adding almost every couple days. Just about a week ago they added 12 updates and it took like 15 minutes for it to load before shutting down and rebooting.

What is Windows updating constantly that they need to do this; pretty annoying for sure [thumbsdown]

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-24-2014 05:19 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WinBlows 8 and 8.1 are doing the same with constant updates.

It's all about security issues.

My Winblows 7, 64bit at home gets bombed with these updates also, but I have them set to where I'll do the updates when I'm effing good and ready ... and can leave the computer alone to let them do their thing and not be there.

-Monte

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-24-2014 05:22 PM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

Click on the view update history link to see what is installed.

Agreed, it is a PITA, especially when you want to shutdown and there a slew of updates that want to install. I never thought I'd say it but I do like W7 better than XP. Several people have contacted me about downgrading the W8 pig to W7.

Steve Matz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-24-2014 09:39 PM      Profile for Steve Matz   Email Steve Matz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Rick, I want to buy a new Laptop with the fastest Processor that's available but they all have Windows 8. I like Windows 7, can I take the 8 out and put the 7 in.... [Confused]

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-25-2014 05:39 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can always use a Win 7 install disc (available from places like Amazon...you need the MS license). I do recommend, for laptops that you use the setting where either it can download the updates and you install them when you want or you have to go check to see if there are updates available. It sucks when the computer decides to interrupt your installation to do its thing. Who owns the computer anyway?

I've taken to allowing updates about once a 1/4 and just let it do its thing overnight rather than bother me while I'm trying to work.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 09-25-2014 06:01 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you go for the business gear instead of the consumer/home stuff, you most often still have the option to downgrade to Windows 7. That saves you tons of hassle if Windows 8(.1) isn't what you want.

And, although it's not yet a common problem, with a new PC you need to make sure that the necessary drivers for your PC are available for Windows 7. Maybe you could also wait for Windows 9, which will become available in a couple of months. Windows 9 brings back the start button and start menu, without the need to install some third party plugin and should feel a whole lot more like Windows 7.

And like Steve already mentioned, you need a proper Windows 7 license, including working license key.

Usually, I disable not only the automatic updates, but also the automatic downloads (as they can pile up, slow down your computer while downloading in the background), so I only get the notifications. If you use your computer on the Internet (which is almost a rhetoric question), it's still quite important to keep up with them, as most updates are indeed security updates. There's tons of nasty stuff out there, just waiting to exploit some unpatched thingy on your computer...

Microsoft programs like Office work together with Windows Update, but many independent software products, like Firefox, iTunes, Chrome, Adobe products, etc. operate on their own update "frameworks" and you need to configure the settings for them individually. Usually it's more important to get the latest updates for your browser than for your OS though, at least if you're behind a halfway decent firewall and don't automatically click on any attachment that flies into your inbox.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-25-2014 11:41 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, Beware that with some manufacturers you will void the warranty by installing an OS other than what it is supplied with. I recommend you get a second drive (an SSD) and put W7 on it. Keep the old drive and put it back in if service is ever required under warranty.

Also... If you order a custom computer from Dell they may be able to supply a W7 convertible to W8 OS for you. Thing to do is to call and waste the sales persons time then when you get to the end demand W7 instead of 8. It's worked for me many times! What they give you is w7 on the drive and a second upgrade disk if you want tomfoolery to W8. Also... Demand a copy of the OS be included with your laptop. Some manufacturers including Dell use the excuse that the OS is on the rescue partition. That's not going to get you going again if the drive fails. Demand the disk be included for them to wrap up the deal.

Mark

Steve Matz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-25-2014 01:01 PM      Profile for Steve Matz   Email Steve Matz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Guys for the Info; The 2 Laptops I was looking at with the Fastest Processors were Dell and Toshiba.I didn't know that Windows has a 9 Version coming out that might work like the 7 does. Maybe I'll wait if it's going to be out before the end of the Year...

BTW: I have another Laptop I use on the Internet that has WINDOWS 7 STARTER VERSION. It seems to do all what I need it to do, but should I upgrade it to the Home Version. It's always sending me an upgrade Link. How many Megs/Gigs does the HV takeup over the Starter version!

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 09-25-2014 01:44 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What do you need the fastest processors for anyway? Spend more on extra RAM and a bunch of SSDs, that will give you much more bang for the buck, unless you're really needing all that processing power, but most people don't.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 09-25-2014 02:17 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Things are really getting out of hand with regards to computer security. I saw a news report showing how people can hack into a car's computer system and do all kinds of harmful things to it, things that can only be fixed by a very expensive, instrusive overhaul of the vehicle. Various retailers have been stung by major security breaches, compromising personal info of millions of people. Obviously the computing industry and Dept. of Justice is simply not taking this issue seriously enough. It's probably going to take something more serious than the credit card data of several million people getting hacked for them to step up their game.

quote: Marcel Birgelen
Microsoft programs like Office work together with Windows Update, but many independent software products, like Firefox, iTunes, Chrome, Adobe products, etc. operate on their own update "frameworks" and you need to configure the settings for them individually. Usually it's more important to get the latest updates for your browser than for your OS though, at least if you're behind a halfway decent firewall and don't automatically click on any attachment that flies into your inbox.
The frequent updates to Windows ("patch Tuesday" and what not) are annoying. It's particularly annoying when a new patch breaks a feature in the OS or makes a particular application inoperable. I had to walk a customer through an undo of a Windows update that broke is LED message center sign software a couple weeks ago. I had to roll back one patch broke Postscript Type 1 font compatibility. It took months for Microsoft to correct that one.

Firefox and Chrome seem to be updating constantly. Chrome is up to version 37 and Firefox is on version 32. It's annoying, but probably good for security (and they're improving their HTML5 test scores). Meanwhile Internet Explorer remains so far behind that I wonder why Microsoft doesn't just kill IE already.

I don't know the numbers, but I'm willing to bet far more desktop computing software is sold via download than in a retail box. Now it's all trying to transition into a subscription based model -such as Adobe Creative Cloud and Microsoft Office 365.

Adobe's Creative Cloud applications do seem to have somewhat frequent updates, but that's only if you have a bunch of those applications installed. If you run only what you need the update notices will be less frequent. Acrobat Pro is the only one I have that tries to automatically update itself. The others just let me know updates are available in the apps tab of the Creative Cloud control panel.

I guess the more annoying thing to me is how Microsoft has changed Windows enough in its past 2-3 versions that lots of older 32-bit compiled software no longer works. When you buy a new computer you have to not only think about the price of that hardware, you must also budget a LOT of software upgrades. Some industry-specific software can be very expensive.

quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
Also... Demand a copy of the OS be included with your laptop. Some manufacturers including Dell use the excuse that the OS is on the rescue partition. That's not going to get you going again if the drive fails.
I'll second the recommendation, if the option is even there with Dell anymore. I got an OS disc with my Win 7 notebook. I couldn't get OS discs for the newest two Dell desktops at my work. I created OS back-ups on DVD-R and USB memory sticks using the recovery software Dell bundles with systems now. It has flaws, but I suppose it's better than nothing. Even if you have an OS disc, I still recommend creating an additional back-up. DVD discs can suffer laser rot, get lost or broken.

Lately Dell has been goofing up in the pricing and configuration options of their systems. The last PC we bought, a 17" notebook for my boss, was a Toshiba loaded with Win 7 Pro.

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-25-2014 04:09 PM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
I recommend you get a second drive (an SSD) and put W7 on it. Keep the old drive and put it back in if service is ever required under warranty.
I couldn't agree more. That way you are doing a clean install of W7.

Steve Matz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-25-2014 08:41 PM      Profile for Steve Matz   Email Steve Matz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Changing the Subject but regarding Security and Computers. The new 2015 CORVETTE has a PDR(performance data recorder)option what is called VALET MODE. When engaged it records both front and rear video along with Audio inside the Driver compartment. It was supposed to be able to monitor your Car when someone besides your self is Driving your Car;like a Parking Attendant or Valet. That way when you got your car back you could playback what he did while parking your Car. Like maybe taking it for an extended Ride,smoking the Tires,etc.; Seems now though that the option maybe illegal in Certain States and GM is telling 2015 Vette owners to not use the option for now. Interesting Read...

I want to know if some A-HOLE Parking Valet is abusing my Car instead of Parking it. Shouldn't be no legality issue here...

http://www.corvetteblogger.com/2014/09/25/chevy-tells-2015-corvette-owners-not-to-use-the-pdrs-valet-mode-over-legal-concerns/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+CorvetteBlogger+%28Corvette%3A+Sales%2C+News+%26+Lifestyle%29

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 09-26-2014 02:17 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even without having read the article, I do know that just recording someone without having their explicit consent can lead into trouble.

Besides this, all those electronic gadgets in the car can also be used against you. Nowadays, it's not just your computer and mobile phone, but also your car, your "connected fridge", your TV and whatnot are becoming interesting targets for digital abuse.

While the damage that can be done while hacking your fridge will probably be rather minimal, I don't need to tell you what damage can be done when someone hacks into your car.

Terry Lynn-Stevens
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-26-2014 02:57 AM      Profile for Terry Lynn-Stevens   Email Terry Lynn-Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What is Windows updating constantly that they need to do this; pretty annoying for sure [thumbsdown]
Can't you just turn it off for Windows 7? I have Windows 8 (I think for about 2 years now) and I never update it.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 09-26-2014 03:48 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, you can turn it off for any Windows version up until now, but you're a total douche if you never install updates.

There, I said it. It's about the worst advice you could give anyone and blissfully ignorant if you keep such a policy yourself.

While I totally agree that the current update cycles for all those different software packages are getting out of hand, security updates are there for a reason and using a computer that's two years behind on updates on the Internet is just the epitome of ignorance.

quote: Bobby Henderson
The frequent updates to Windows ("patch Tuesday" and what not) are annoying. It's particularly annoying when a new patch breaks a feature in the OS or makes a particular application inoperable.
That's the reason why I don't automatically put any update on any computer. Stuff occasionally breaks and remains unfixed for months or never gets fixed... Or you have to call Microsoft to get a specific patch and sometimes they even demand money for it.
The problem with Microsoft is that their update descriptions are so vague, it's often hard to discriminate from those alone if the patch is a fix to an imminent security hole or something that can wait until later.

quote: Bobby Henderson
Firefox and Chrome seem to be updating constantly. Chrome is up to version 37 and Firefox is on version 32. It's annoying, but probably good for security (and they're improving their HTML5 test scores). Meanwhile Internet Explorer remains so far behind that I wonder why Microsoft doesn't just kill IE already.
Yes, Firefox adapted roughly the same update scheme as Chrome. Personally, I find those version numbers somewhat ridiculous, but the old "waterfall" model of development is out those days, it's all about "frequent delivery" and "short release cycles". While this might fly with web-applications, it doesn't work for stuff that actually needs an install base on any device.

Everything is now constantly begging for updates. The motto should still be: Make it good and only update if you've got some important security issues to address or a whole new set of features.

Adobe is somewhere stuck in the middle. After most users didn't really bother anymore to upgrade from CSn to CSn+1, since none of the new features really mattered to them, Adobe also joined the subscription-only bandwagon. Now they're forced to release new features every now and then, to keep their subscribers somewhat happy. The same goes for Office 365. Personally, I'm still stuck on CS6 and Office 2010. Both seem to do the job quite fine at the moment and I'm not forced to pay for them on a monthly basis...

Furthermore, Microsoft should work out a decent central update delivery mechanism that other could hook up to. Others should, maybe, let go their pride and also start using it. It's far easier to manage your updates for all your applications from a single environment (a lot like a mobile phone/tablet) than via a dozen of those update managers and popups that keep nagging for attention...

Also, both Adobe and Oracle deserve to be punished for their evil tactics of trying to push some stupid toolbar or "free antivirus" down your throat with updates for Flash and Java...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: