Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Adventures in buying a laptop

Author Topic: Adventures in buying a laptop
Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 10-02-2014 12:49 AM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Today I found myself in need of a laptop to run Centos on. And that simple statement led to an all-day odyssey.

My original plan was to purchase a laptop and install Centos 6 on it. I went to Staples and tried booting it on every model of laptop that they had in the store. They all come with Windows 8 installed, and for the edification of anyone who doesn't know this (I didn't until today) you have to conduct a real song and dance to get to the bios settings on one of those things:

boot windows
move mouse pointer to the top right corner of the screen
move down to setting menu (gear) that shows up
click on power off icon
Hold shift key and left-click on "restart"
it goes to the troubleshooting screen
click on advanced troubleshooting
click on "change uefi settings"
now we get to the bios
set secure boot off
set legacy boot priority

And then you can boot from a USB flash drive. *whew* (It's easy to put it back afterward, just go into the bios and tell it set to defaults, save and exit.)

Anyway, I tried booting a Centos 6 Live CD image on a usb flash drive on every single model of laptop they had in stock and no joy on any of them -- they either hung altogether, started booting and hung at some point along the way, started a continuous cycle of start booting, reset, start booting again, or kernel panicked. Every last one.

I then tried a Centos 7 Live CD image on another usb flash drive and then the third machine that I tried it on (Lenovo Ideapad S400 Touch) worked. So I bought that one and have now wiped Windows off of its hard drive and installed Centos 7 so it now looks and acts like a real computer.

I never would have thought that it would take all bloody day to purchase one laptop. (And I'm going to be having nightmares about that Windows Boot Manager thing.)

Since it has now become amazingly difficult to get a laptop if you're not planning to use Windows, at least around here, I'm wondering what the rest of you fine folks do when it comes to purchasing a laptop (assuming that you're not using Windows, that is)? Next time this comes up, I'd rather not have to spend all day on something that used to take fifteen minutes.

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 10-02-2014 02:55 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or, get a laptop with Win8.1, but take the HD out and put in another HD with nothing on it.

Then, change the BIOS settings to change boot priority to either DVD or USB.

What I did with a laptop with an extra HD was took out the HD with XP and installed a blank HD and went to town with Mint Cinnamon..on a full install.

Guess you could do the same with CentOS 7 being a Linux platform.

Nice thing is that if one wanted to go back to Win8.1, it's just a HD swap out to go back.

Next year about this time, Microsoft will be ready to release Win 10 (they're skipping nine all together).

-Monte

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 10-02-2014 03:28 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, that secure boot UEFI thing really makes me angry. First off all, why did we actually have to replace the BIOS? Answer: Vendor lock in. Although practically all vendors still allow you to disable this "Secure Boot", the time where this won't be a possibility and you need some "unsupported hacks" is on the horizon.

It's not that BIOS is actually good for anything nowadays, other than doing the most basic of Power On Self Tests and loading the first few bytes of whatever you're going to boot into memory.

But this UEFI thing... well, let's engineer a new system that's sooo complex, we could put a whole operating system into it if we wanted... And why? The only thing I want the BIOS to do is to boot the OS and not very much else. Maybe I want some halfway smart, independent power management on the side, but isn't this what ACPI is supposed to do? So, UEFI: Just another vendor lock in, layer of frustration and possible location for viruses and other crapware to hide.

Furthermore, I've practically given up on "Desktop Linux", since it's one big fragmented bombshell. Linux is fine for servers and embedded devices (in highly customized forms) and I heavily use it. But for desktops? No, sorry... I've got more stuff to do than just worry about configuring devices and all this stuff that doesn't work out of the box, or being frustrated by the latest fancy-ass Window manager some distro wants to shove down my throat (Hi there, Canonical). Also, people keep sending me Office documents, I need Outlook to connect to the corporate Exchange stuff and the Open Source alternatives (e.g. Open- and LibreOffice) just don't cut it. Maybe it works for the basic stuff, but not for anything complicated, Micosoft has a strong lock-in there. Then there's Adobe... Yeah people keep pushing The Gimp, but the Gimp is asleep and doesn't want to be waked up, it's by no means a fully functional replacement for Photoshop. Also, what about a decent vector graphics program? One that can open files without compatibility issues? Something that does PDFs without problems? Video editing that comes anywhere close to Premiere, After Effects, etc? And 3D or CAD apps besides Blender (which unfortunately requires a totally different workflow)? And well... Flash (just the player alone) on Linux, don't get me started [Wink] .

I'm also not going to try to get it to work with Wine or even run a separate VM for it, as I don't want to spend the time and resources on this additional overhead and lost time due to more complex interactions between applications.

So, I'll just stick to Windows 7 for now. And if you aim for the somewhat higher end of the market (the business segment), you'll still get it and it usually also comes with less spy-, ad- and other ratware installed than a low-end consumer device. Let's hope that this Windows 9 or 10 (as they seemingly want to call it now) will bring the Windows back into Windows and we can bury this Windows 8.x concoction together with other ill conceived versions like Windows ME and Vista.

Furthermore, if you really want to run Linux, you might want to stick to Lenovo, as they're quite well supported by the community and some of their notebook lines are certified to work with at least Ubuntu, so chances any other somewhat recent distro will eventually work are very good.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-02-2014 07:01 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the words of Facebook "Like" ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Well said Marcel!

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-02-2014 02:16 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The question is... Why would anyone even want to run a linux program for general purpose use?

Mark

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 10-02-2014 03:06 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No spyware/malware to worry about, and it can be locked down so the end user can't bugger it up. End users can't (usually) install software, so all of the issues arising from that are avoided.

Set 'er up, lock 'er down. And you're pretty much good for several years of use after that. In this case, I'll even lock down the desktop so nothing can be moved around, changed or removed.

In this particular case, the person who I'm setting this up for requires a secure machine for online banking and investment portfolio management. And they don't want to take any chances on having their data tampered with or shipped off to the Russian mob.

The end user (the computer's owner) doesn't get the root password, but I will install my private key on it so I can remotely log into it to do any upgrades or troubleshooting that may be required in the future. I'm actually shipping this thing over 9000 miles (yes, three zeros) to its owner as soon as I finish setting it up. The DHL freight bill will equal or exceed the price of the laptop, but she needs it next week so that's what it takes.

Fast emergency job, I guess. I just found out about it yesterday morning, in fact. I don't think I'll have it ready to go tomorrow since I have other things to take care of as well, including tomorrow night's movie, but it will definitely be on its way out of here on Monday and DHL offers 3-day delivery to the destination, so that will work.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 10-02-2014 03:54 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Marcel Birgelen
Yeah, that secure boot UEFI thing really makes me angry. First off all, why did we actually have to replace the BIOS? Answer: Vendor lock in. Although practically all vendors still allow you to disable this "Secure Boot", the time where this won't be a possibility and you need some "unsupported hacks" is on the horizon.
Apple can be thanked for starting that trend. When Apple started making computers with Intel-based CPUs they installed a vendor-specific boot strap on the motherboard rather than a traditional BIOS. That's because, I mean, God forbid anyone get a copy of Mac OSX and install it on a damned Dell box! Can't have any of that. Microsoft and various PC vendors thought it would be a good idea to copy.

quote: Marcel Birgelen
Furthermore, I've practically given up on "Desktop Linux", since it's one big fragmented bombshell.
The Linux community could never agree on any single standard. Even after over 20 years of development it's still fragmented as hell. All sorts of "distros" have come and gone. Now we have Ubuntu, Mint Cinnamon, CentOS, Mentos, blah blah blah.

Linux' user base share of desktop and notebook personal computers is currently only 1.64% (Net Applications' stat, Sept. 2014). All those different distros of Linux divide that very small share even further. Windows 7 is the leader with 51.71%, followed by Win XP (23.87%), Win 8/8.1 (12.26%), Mac OSX (6.38%), Windows Vista (3.07%).

"Desktop Linux" is stuck in a chicken vs. egg situation. The Linux platform has to attract a lot more users before big commercial software companies will take Linux seriously. Unfortunately all those users aren't going to migrate unless the applications they like to use aren't already supported. Neither side of that chicken vs. egg problem can be attacked while all these competing distros are confusing the situation.

quote:
Then there's Adobe... Yeah people keep pushing The Gimp, but the Gimp is asleep and doesn't want to be waked up, it's by no means a fully functional replacement for Photoshop. Also, what about a decent vector graphics program? One that can open files without compatibility issues? Something that does PDFs without problems? Video editing that comes anywhere close to Premiere, After Effects, etc? And 3D or CAD apps besides Blender (which unfortunately requires a totally different workflow)? And well... Flash (just the player alone) on Linux, don't get me started [Wink] .
Ultimately you get what you pay for.

Open source graphics software is better than nothing. I'll point casual users who don't need professional level commercial software to open source alternatives like The Gimp for pixel-based image editing or Inkscape for vector graphics work. Casual users might not know what they're missing using those applications versus their professional level, commercially sold counterparts. I've been using Photoshop for over 20 years. I'm so used to Photoshop I find it frustrating to use other commercial level image editors, like Corel Painter, never mind putting up with The Gimp.

Recently Adobe announced a beta "streaming" version of Photoshop CC for Chromebook. Adobe may port other Creative Cloud apps to the Chromebook platform as part of this effort. Personally, I'm pretty skeptical. I can't see "streaming" Photoshop's functions from the cloud to a well equipped desktop computer, much less try to do so with a low cost notebook with very limited hardware. Photoshop isn't even Adobe's most performance demanding application. I think it would be a nightmare trying to stream a video authoring project, grabbing both assets and program functions from several applications, all from the cloud.

Steve Matz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-02-2014 09:37 PM      Profile for Steve Matz   Email Steve Matz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One thing I hate about Modern Electronics is you can't keep up with constant tech advancements and Changes. I'll go out and buy a high end Laptop this Week and in a few Months there will be something they've added or updated to be a more desirable Computer(sans windows 8) Same way with Televisions;changes,modifications every few months. I actually like how it was back in the day. You went down and bought an American built RCA or Zenith and the picture tube went 20yrs. When Cable came along you just had to add a Converter.Keeping up with Modern Electronics today is a no win situation for your Pocketbook if you want the latest Gadgets....

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-02-2014 10:46 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't really found that to be the case with laptops when it comes to working within this industry.

In the early/mid 90s I got a Toshibia 486 laptop that ran Win3.1...That was back in the days when an "Active Matrix" screen was expensive but it did mean it looked good...I eventually updated that one to Win95. I used that with all of the Digital sound processors up until the CP650 and it remains the computer for our R2 analyzer (it runs DOS just fine for the R2).

From that, I migrated to a used Thinkpad 600 that ran Win98SE. Being that it was used, it developed some quirks like the screen could wink out but it served us well and ran cinema software pretty much up to current...though I migrated past it when DCinema really started to move in since it was Ethernet challenged but had a hard RS232 port (handy for A/V work). In 2003 I migrated to another Thinkpad running Windows XP (R40). This remains my second computer now as it handles 16-bit legacy software as well as 32-bit and the "Socket Com" PCMCIA card gives it an effective hard RS232 port. I typically run the D2 on it and most anything that was built in the RS232 era.

My current laptop is a Thinkpad (see a trend?) W520 running Win7Pro. I've had it for about 2-years now and have zero plans to change it anytime soon. I got nearly 10-years of steady use out of the last one and hope to do likewise. 10-years on a daily computer? That really isn't too bad. Just because one comes out with new fangled gadgets does not mean one HAS to get it. Will the new thing really get you anything you want or need? Is it worth the grief of not being able to find anything? There is always that acclimation period. Thinkpad is up to the W540, I think...I don't really know because I haven't been looking. When this one starts to feel tired or too far behind the times, I look into something current and speedy...etc.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-03-2014 11:04 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve M. is at least partially correct and the cause of all this is Moore's Law. Every 6 months CPU manufacturers fit more and more transistors onto a CPU. So the natural progression is that every thing else must follow. And pretty soon the OS has left the speedy progress of CPU's so far behind that they too must catch up. The same thing applies to DSP's and most other widely used digital processors.

Mark

Steve Matz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-03-2014 11:44 AM      Profile for Steve Matz   Email Steve Matz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark; I was looking at 4K Televisions at Costco,Sams Club,Best Buy,and Sears. Every one of them is basically using still pictures as a slide show verses any kind of Movie Content, Granted the Picture quality is amazing on 2D Images but there is such a lack of 4K content out there for TV it doesn't Justify paying 3 to 4 grand for a SONY,TOSHIBA,etc. when you know Sony will have another updated 4K Model along with the others in 6 months.The Image quality is fantastic but hardly any commercial Programing available at present time makes them a bad investment for the Cost IMHO....

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 10-03-2014 11:57 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Modern personal computers can last a whole lot longer than ones that were made 10-20 years ago. Back in the 1990s we were swapping out systems every couple or so years. It's nothing to get half a dozen years or even a decade of life out of a decent desktop PC now.

Hardware longevity is another one of those "you get what you pay for" things. A low cost desktop or notebook PC probably won't be very productive for more than a couple or so years, if it's even productive at all when purchased. Some entry level configurations are painfully bad and the lack of performance is compounded by all the crapware pre-installed to subsidize the low cost of the device.

You'll get more years of life out of a desktop or notebook PC that's properly equipped. I refuse to buy a computer whose graphics system consists of a motherboard embedded graphics chip that sucks on main system memory. At least get some kind of dedicated graphics board. RAM is relatively cheap. I max out what the motherboard can hold, even if the cost of it might mean stepping down a notch or two on CPU speed.

I got 6 years of life out of my previous notebook computer. I've been using my current Win 7 notebook for 3 years and have no plans to replace it any time soon.

quote: Steve Matz
The Image quality is fantastic but hardly any commercial Programing available at present time makes them a bad investment for the Cost IMHO....
4K UHDTV sets are very obviously in the "early adopter" phase. They're doing nothing to make current HDTV sets obsolete. It will be a long time before 4K content becomes a widespread thing for home viewing.

I wouldn't judge 4K on the missteps of electronics store staff. A lot of them don't know what the hell they're doing. Three stores in my town are selling 4K TV sets and none of them have any native 4K content playing on them. That's not the fault of 4K technology. That's a staffing issue.

IMHO, any wise customer should already know about the electronics product he wants to buy and hopefully already have his decision made about the model he wants to buy before entering the store. Sales people have their own agendas and will use spin to steer you into buying some other product they're trying to get off the floor.

Still, I wouldn't recommend anyone but the most hardcore technophile buy a 4K TV set right now. The hard disc based media players, like the one sold by Sony, are expensive and have limited, proprietary media stores. You need a blazing fast Internet connection to have any hope of streaming anything remotely resembling "4K" from Netflix, much less be able to download 4K movies in any practical manner. The Blu-ray format will have 4K movies next year, but it will require a whole new breed of BD players.

On the bright side, 4K has pushed down the prices of big 1080p HDTV sets. I recently bought a pretty good 65" 240Hz LED-based Samsung TV set for just under $2000 (before sales tax). I think it would have cost a lot more if Samsung didn't have curved screen models and 4K models on product levels above it.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: