Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » What a Trillion Dollars looks like in 100's

Author Topic: What a Trillion Dollars looks like in 100's
Steve Matz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-06-2014 01:55 PM      Profile for Steve Matz   Email Steve Matz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -
Hundred Dollar Bills are banded in $10,000 packs (100 Bills)

-
$10,000 packs of 100 Dollar Bills stacked to equal 0ne Trillion Dollars. Our Countries Debt is equal to almost 18 of these [Eek!]

-
That's the Statue of Liberty in Scale to height of stacked Money

|  IP: Logged

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 10-06-2014 02:23 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The debt ceiling is stupid and should not exist. No, that doesn't mean I advocate spending without end and racking up huge deficits. But the time to think about that is when the budget is done. When the bills come due, they MUST be paid. PERIOD. Promises have been made and must be kept.

Just like time to consider your own finances is when you are shopping not when the credit card bill comes in. I really resent the GOP creating artificial crises out of what used to be a routine housekeeping matter (raising the debt ceiling).

For those confused by this, please realize the government does not just print money. Not in a literal sense nor in the sense of pretending the checking account is bottomless. When revenue from taxes and other fees are not enough to pay bills we issue debt, T-bills, Savings Bonds, in effect taking out loans.

I wish the next time the GOP fabricated a crisis by taking us to the edge I wish the president...any president at the time...would sit down and explain this in a speech and then point out how he (she) has taken an oath to uphold the Constitution and right now there are two things in conflict, one is the debt ceiling which is an ordinary law and the other is the budgets where we have promised to pay for certain things which is also an ordinary law so he (she) must defer to the Constitution which says something about the full faith and credit of the the US Government.

Therefore he (she) will order the Treasury to continue to issue debt to pay these bills. If someone wants to take that to the Supreme Court (and they surely will) and the Supremes order Treasury to stop that means they would be putting the debt ceiling law above the various budgets that created the bills that need to be paid and they do so in defiance of the Constitution. Therefore it would be the Supremes putting us in default and destroying the faith and credit of the US in the eyes of the world.

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-06-2014 08:47 PM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve,

#1 There is a forum rule against discussing politics
#2 The original post was a cool illustration and a statement of fact about the size of the debt, not a political discussion.
#3 The debt ceiling isn't even the news at this time so where did your rant come from?

Steve Matz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-06-2014 10:35 PM      Profile for Steve Matz   Email Steve Matz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No one is ranting about anything; I put a post up to show what a Trillion Dollars looks like in Scale. Quit being another one of these Forum Cops. If the post bothers you than go to another one that doesn't...

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-07-2014 01:22 AM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A trillion ANYTHING is going to be massive, yet we throw "trillions" out, verbally, like it's nothing.
I love how the Statue of Liberty is craning her head.
And the yahoos we elect need to do their damn job.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 10-07-2014 04:15 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While it looks impressive, it's obviously as relevant as how a trillion dollars look in quarters or even cents...

It's not the huge pile of paper that gives this its intrinsic value, most of the money in circulation those days is just a bunch of numbers in some machines anyway.

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-07-2014 05:10 AM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Matz
No one is ranting about anything; I put a post up to show what a Trillion Dollars looks like in Scale. Quit being another one of these Forum Cops. If the post bothers you than go to another one that doesn't...
I wasn't talking about you, I was talking about the reply from the other Steve.

I'm only being a "Forum Cop" because the other Steve broke the FORUM RULES that Brad posted. When a particular type of discussion isn't allowed, people with opposing views can't debate the issue because it is against the rules. That's why I pointed it out.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 10-07-2014 08:56 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Infographics" seem to be coming back into fashion as a way of making political (and other) statements. They are nothing new, though.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 10-07-2014 12:46 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm too late to edit/remove my post. Please....don't read! [Shrug]

Steve Matz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-07-2014 02:44 PM      Profile for Steve Matz   Email Steve Matz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Lyle,Just got my Feathers Ruffled; No Harm,No Foul! [Wink] [beer]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: