Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » LA Times: Small town cinemas want new films sooner (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: LA Times: Small town cinemas want new films sooner
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-14-2014 07:21 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Small-town cinemas want new films sooner
By RICHARD VERRIER

When the critically acclaimed David Fincher thriller "Gone Girl" debuted at the multiplex this month, Byron Berkley wanted to play the movie in all four of the small-town theaters he runs in east Texas.

But 20th Century Fox made the film available to only one of his venues in Kilgore, an oil-rich town with a population of less than 15,000. The others would have to wait another week after the Ben Affleck film screened in major markets across the country.

By then it was too late.

"In a world of instant gratification, it's old news after two or three weeks," Berkley said. "Some people say, 'To heck with it, we're not going to movies anymore.'"

Delays in showing new movies is a growing source of frustration for small-town cinema owners like Berkley, who complains that studios are relying on an outmoded distribution model that favors big-city multiplexes.

A group of independent theaters owners and members of the National Assn. of Theatre Owners recently aired their concerns in a series of discussions with studio executives in Hollywood, according to people who attended the meetings.

The sessions with studio distribution executives were said to be cordial, but executives who attended the meetings disputed claims they are squeezing out small-town theaters. The executives note that several variables determine when and where a film gets played, including the type of film, time of year and profitability of the auditorium.

"We've had a very good relationship with small exhibitors because we believe in their business," said Chris Aronson, president of domestic distribution for 20th Century Fox, who met with some theater owners this month. "The bottom line is we're running a business, and we license our films on a picture by picture basis.... We don't want to be in a situation where our costs exceed our revenue."

As for "Gone Girl," Aronson said the studio had good reason to be cautious about releasing the movie in too many theaters given its mature content.

"R-rated movies in small towns don't always go together," Aronson said.

Friction over the issue of when theaters get to play movies has been magnified by a decline in ticket sales in the U.S. After a crop of weak movies, the industry is coming off its worst summer in ticket sales since 1997, when adjusted for inflation.

The slowdown comes after a period of heavy investment by cinema owners to convert their theaters to digital technology. With financial backing from studios, theaters are still paying off debts to buy digital projectors that cost $50,000 to $75,000 each.

Additionally, theaters are grappling with growing competition from entertainment options in the home and changing habits among consumers, who expect to see movies when they are released. That makes delays getting films on the big screen all the more costly to theaters forced to wait their turn to show the latest Hollywood fare.

"What has happened is that when a picture is released and has the potential to do some business and we would like to play it, the studio has decided they don't want to let us play it and we have to scramble to find something to put on our screen," Berkley said. "We're trying to convince them you're not doing yourselves any good. You're hurting us and you're hurting yourselves."

Berkley said his theaters couldn't book the Nicolas Cage movie "Left Behind" in its opening week Oct. 3, even though many of his customers wanted to see it.

"We had a lot of inquiries from our customers who just wanted to know when we were going to have it," he said.

Dan Fellman, president of domestic distribution for Warner Bros. Pictures, said each movie has its own marketing strategy and often benefits from being phased into theaters.

"Word of mouth can be a very powerful thing," he said. "When you have a movie that turns out to be No. 1 and you've got more people talking about it, it's a good idea to come out in a second wave."

Fellman added that some theaters simply don't generate enough ticket sales to justify getting movies as soon as they are released.

In fact, studios and theaters have followed a similar distribution pattern for decades. Wide-release movies are first shown in major cities, then in mid-level markets, and finally in smaller towns and so-called second-run theaters several weeks after the initial release date.

One of the rationales for the model was the high cost of delivering film prints. Until the advent of digital, it cost $1,000 to $3,000 to make and deliver a film print to theaters. Currently, it costs less than $100 to deliver a digital hard drive and even less for a movie delivered via satellite.

Studios, however, are still paying $700 to $800 in so-called virtual print fees to help theaters finance the new digital equipment. The fees are part of an agreement with theaters to ease the digital transition. Virtually all 40,000 movie screens in the U.S. have replaced film projectors with digital equipment.

With lower distribution costs, independent theater operators argue that there is less economic justification for spacing out the release of new movies.

"We know our towns, we know our small markets, and because the cost is so low now, give us a show to make some money," said Joe Paletta, chief executive of Atlanta-based Spotlight Theatres, which operates four theaters in Georgia, Pennsylvania and Connecticut.

"Our clients are pretty astute," he added. "They are very aware of what movies are released and when, and they have short attention spans when it comes to seeing new releases."

L.A. Times link

|  IP: Logged

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 10-14-2014 07:50 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although I deal with the issue to an extent, it's the specialty films we have trouble getting. Normally the majors give us anything we can put on screen, although Sony likes to play games at times. But it's almost impossible to get a date for anything from Fox Searchlight, Focus, Sony Pictures Classics, and the other specialty companies. It's gotten so bad that we hardly play any of those titles because we can't get them until 4-6 weeks out. By that time many of the people who would be interested have already gone out of town to see them. And when we are able to get a date, I usually don't know about it any earlier than Monday before it opens.

I don't buy the argument of watching costs at all. The studios never spend money advertising in local media. And now that everything is digital, their only costs are the hard drive and keys.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-14-2014 08:11 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The article implies that the studios are paying VPFs on all of the screens that converted to digital. That's not true, though.... lots of theaters, including my own, either did not qualify for VPF or decided not to do it on principle.

And it also implies that small town people aren't as "hip" to what's new and popular as their big city counterparts -- which is not true at all. People here in Forsyth want to see "Gone Girl" just as bad as they do in L.A. or wherever. And they are just as impatient here as they are in the big cities.

The single best thing that studios could do to help out smaller venues is to get rid of that two-week minimum. It's fine for "big hit" type movies, but there are dozens of "smaller" films every year that we have to skip on the break because we know they wouldn't have two weeks worth of legs for us. "Gone Girl" is a perfect example...right now they still won't take a one-week booking, so here we sit waiting. Meanwhile our potential gross for that movie is dropping day by day, because people are gradually going to decide to wait for the video and/or move on to the next thing of interest.

This was proven several years ago when Mission Impossible II came out -- it was the first movie we played on the break, and it grossed over twice what we grossed on the first M:I movie, which we had played in week 5.

I don't particularly worry about the film rental. If a movie grosses well, then the rental is no big deal even if it's high. But we can gross at least 2x as much on a movie in week 1 as we would in week 5. If I had my way, every movie we open would be on the break and I would gladly pay the higher rental for those movies. We would make more money and the studios would make more. I don't understand why this is lost on them.

Steve Matz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-14-2014 10:47 PM      Profile for Steve Matz   Email Steve Matz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
As for "Gone Girl," Aronson said the studio had good reason to be cautious about releasing the movie in too many theaters given its mature content.

That is a ridiculous statement.Teenagers in small towns have probably seen as many "R" rated Movies as any Metropolitan City Teenager. It shows you how misinformed or just plain Stupid these people are concerning Small Town/City Living. They seem to think anybody that lives in a small town is some Country Hick that only wear Bib Overalls and never heard a swear word in their life. Granted some of the Older Generation maybe offended by some "R" rated movies but I've seen "R" Movies that could probably be "PG" except for a word or two...

This is a different Generation than my time and there isn't any word said or sex content in a Movie that they haven't seen/ heard a 100 times or said/done themselves. Hell I remember in 1969 when "MIDNIGHT COWBOY" hit the Theaters and was rated "X"... Disney could almost show you that film uncut by today's standards... [beer]

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 10-14-2014 10:52 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Re: The Specialty distribs, they are just stuck with their old model and don't see a reason to change. They still do limited releases and slow rollouts. Works for them apparently.
I recently tried to book Whiplash. Besides getting good reviews, the art director is from Montgomery and his family has been bugging me about it for months. Although it was release Oct 10, it won't be available to us until the middle of January. It may show up at one of the multiplexes first, so then I'll have to re-evaluate if I want to show it. Or they may decide they are ready to give it to us next week, but since we are a single screen calendar house, we are booked through the beginning of January now anyway. This is not at all unusual for us.
It's really all about what they want to do. We just get to play along.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-14-2014 11:26 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: LA Times article
Wide-release movies are first shown in major cities, then in mid-level markets, and finally in smaller towns and so-called second-run theaters several weeks after the initial release date.
This actually went out of style in the 1980s. Wide release movies went to major and mid-level markets starting then. Only the smaller towns were left behind at that point -- even if we were willing to play 2 or 3 weeks and pay 70/60, they didn't have a print for us. That changed in the late 90s; now, a small mainstream cinema like mine can play just about any wide release movie, as long as we agree to the play time and the rental.

If you forget about shrinking windows and all that related stuff, the long minimum play time for minor movies is really the biggest problem we have, along with the age-old problem of "not enough prints" (which we were told wouldn't be a problem once Digital took hold).

Terry Lynn-Stevens
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-15-2014 01:29 AM      Profile for Terry Lynn-Stevens   Email Terry Lynn-Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If booking in week two, what would your splits be for each week? (Assuming you had to keep it for the two weeks)

@ Mike, has your cinema ever been denied a first week booking since you went to digital like in this particular situation?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-15-2014 06:50 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The excuses given by the studios on this is either deception or ignorance. That is, they really "think" they are somehow building buzz by delaying the release in backwoods towns (ignorance) or they simply don't want to spend the effort to change their booking policy. I guess the other possibility is to deny those bumpkin theatres that did attain a VPF contract from receiving full VPF payments by not letting them have the movie on the break. And to keep the deception up, they have to treat ALL boondocks theatres the same, VPF or no.

Given that actual costs of making another DCP...there simply is no valid financial reason to deny the movie on the break. Heck, I doubt they will put a restriction on Netflix if they do get a day-and-date release from letting the small-minded/small-town "Subscribers" from getting their movie.

If you don't want to send you sophisticated DCP via horse and buggy to these "customers" then just offer your products via satellite and those with electricity can just download the titles to avoid the HIGH COSTS of distribution.

Lordy-lord you might make more money on the break by having these small-timers stealing customers from the big big-faluten towns.

Allan Barnes
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-15-2014 06:59 AM      Profile for Allan Barnes   Author's Homepage   Email Allan Barnes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure if this is a current Canadian thing... but since going digital it appears to be harder for us to get ON RELEASE features.

1) Film companies says there are reducing the number of prints. Ok, sure its been a bad year at the boxoffice. AND I could understand the rational when a print costs were $1000-$1300.
But a digital print costs under $100... less than $50.

2) The goal of any business is to get your product in every store. And the film business is TIME SENSITIVE - you got a limited shelf life of less than 30 days.

ARE THESE PEOPLE NOT BUSINESS MEN OUT TO MAKE THE MOST MONEY POSSIBLE?

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-15-2014 07:58 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although they don't pertain to me, I like to read threads like this from time to time. And in such threads, I have often encountered a term that I have tried and tried to figure out from context its meaning, but I just can't. Can someone please explain what "on the break" means?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-15-2014 08:21 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Typically it means when the movie opens or when the movie "breaks" into wide release (if it had a limited engagement before).

Timothy Eiler
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-15-2014 01:18 PM      Profile for Timothy Eiler   Author's Homepage   Email Timothy Eiler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
I guess the other possibility is to deny those bumpkin theatres that did attain a VPF contract from receiving full VPF payments by not letting them have the movie on the break. And to keep the deception up, they have to treat ALL boondocks theatres the same, VPF or no.

I think we have hit the nail on the head here

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 10-15-2014 04:04 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
Oh yeah. Bite Me.

Hit movies will be hits wherever you can show them. They may not gross $10k a week in a town of 15,000, but they will do as well as any other big ticket Hollywood product.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 10-15-2014 05:22 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And furthermore, the overheads of distributing them to smaller markets are so much smaller (for the distributor, at least), now we have the DCP. Say, $50 to ship the hard drive to and from a small town theater, a few posters, and that's about it. In the days of film, the cost of prints and shipping was often cited as a reason for only giving smaller town theaters movies many weeks off release. Now they're claiming that R-rated movies would not do well in small, rural towns.

The studio execs probably believe their own movies a little too much (Psycho, Straw Dogs, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre...), and think that the only small town dwellers who are old enough to see R-rated movies are too busy taxidermy-izing their mothers (or raping their daughters) in the cellars of their houses to come out to the theater.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 10-15-2014 05:57 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In Canada, nothing exists outside of Toronto. Some years ago, I had a film booker suggest that I could "just go and pick up" a movie from a theatre in Alberta since their last night was Thursday and I was playing it on Friday night. She was really surprised when I pointed out that the location is 650 miles and a twelve hour drive from here. Those folks honestly have no idea where anything is if it's not in Toronto.

I'm sure it's the same in the USA -- if it's not New York or Los Angeles, it probably doesn't exist either.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: