Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Upgraded my Internet and lost the whole works (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Upgraded my Internet and lost the whole works
Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 10-31-2014 10:01 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's something that I never knew was even possible.

The phone company here now offers 25Mbps dsl service. Since my current service is 10Mbps and the 25Mbps service works out be $10/month more than what I'm paying now, I called them this morning to get my service upgraded.

Ten minutes after I got off of the phone, I lost the whole thing.

I called them back to complain and the service department guy checked and said that my current phone line can't handle the 25mbps service so they will have to send someone out on Monday to change it. In the meantime, he would switch my service back onto the 10Mbps connection that I've had up to this point.

No dice. Apparently switching me to the higher speed has smoked something between me and their dslam, which is located about two blocks away from here. So now I have no dsl service at all until they get out here on Monday and start taking things apart somewhere down the street.

I never would have thought that merely uploading a new modem profile could cause a hardware failure in something upstream from the modem.

|  IP: Logged

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 10-31-2014 10:13 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it's plain old ADSL2(+) then it's most likely just bullshit. They probably don't know what went wrong, so they have the tech figuring it out. The port on the DSLAM might have died, but the stuff between your modem and their DSLAM is 100% passive copper wire.

What I don't get though is this 25 MBit/s, as ADSL2+ maxes out at 24 Mbit/s and you need to be living IN the DSLAM to get close to it. So, maybe you were already on VDSL? Or...

Maybe they tried to switch you from ADSL2+ to VDSL. For that to work, your modem needs to support it and also needs a total reconfiguration. There are many differences in the protocol, but even the basics are different: ADSL is still ATM based and VDSL uses Ethernet.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 10-31-2014 11:27 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Presumably they knew that your modem was compatible with the faster DSL before they offered the service to you?

A while back we were forcibly upgraded to the AT & T "U-Verse" thing: apart from the cable monsters (we don't have cable), Assholes Through & Through, as we refer to them, is the only telecoms provider that services our development, so we had no choice but to go with them.

Their changes to the exchange infrastructure meant that we had to have a new modem/router. For weeks we were given the hard sell for their U-verse TV through IP package, and for weeks we told them that we didn't want it, and just wanted to continue with no frills landline phone plus DSL Internet monthly package, and nothing else. Eventually they gave up and sent us the new modem/router without managing to bully us into signing up for 873 channels of bullshit, warning us that our existing modem/router would stop working on a given date and that we needed to install the replacement by then. What actually happened was that our Internet access and landline phone went out for several hours on that day. We'd already installed the new box and had been using it for about a week beforehand, and so the problem was definitely at their end.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 11-01-2014 01:52 AM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The modem is owned by and provided by the phone company. It just comes as part of the service.

When they first started offering dsl service here you could get 5Mbps service, so that's what I got. A few years later they started offering the 10Mbps service, and when I upgraded to that they brought me a different modem. I wonder if they will end up replacing it again for the 25Mbps service. The modem actually looks like it's working; all of the usual lights are on. There is just no communication.

I actually have cable Internet service here as well. By having both dsl and cable Internet I am reasonably assured that if one of them is down the other is probably working.

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-01-2014 05:24 AM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My guess is they reconfigured the DSLAM port to ADSL but neglected to re-establish the ATM PVC that maps the port to the uplink. I also suspect you'll need a modem change for the higher speed service. The tech should have been able to access the circuit and run PINGs in both directions to determine the problem.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 11-01-2014 06:10 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
5MBps can be achieved using plain ADSL, 10 MBps can be achieved with ADSL2 and 25MBps only with VDSL over twisted copper pairs.

Most modern High Speed services over twisted copper pairs use VDSL2, which is quite recent and most older modems do simply not support it. Many Fiber to the Curb installations also use VDSL2. They essentially put a DSLAM in a cabinet in your steet or neighborhood and terminate your copper lines right there. They run fiber up into the cabinet, directly to the DSLAM. This way, the local loop on old copper lines is reduced to a minimum.

Whereas ADSL and ADSL2(+) can run over the same ATM backbone, VDSL usually employs an Ethernet based backbone. So, no more PVCs, but VLANs.

Jeff Kane
Film Handler

- posted 11-02-2014 12:07 PM      Profile for Jeff Kane   Email Jeff Kane   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it's still ADSL2+ instead of VDSL they may be doing pair-bonding (using 2 pairs and bonding those connections) to get around the 24/1.4 limitations. Or they may just be rounding and being lazy about the marketing. Concur that it's highly unlikely something 'fried' unless it was coincidental.

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-02-2014 03:23 PM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Either way, I still suspect a Layer 2 problem.

The techs have more than PING at their disposal. They can monitor port stats as well as run diagnostics. They should have been able to determine the problem PDQ.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-02-2014 09:25 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had AT&T Uverse for a little over a year, after being forced to upgrade to it from my older "DSL Pro" service.

I have not been satisfied at all with Uverse. For one thing, it's never delivered the higher bit rates AT&T promised. Instead I've had connection speeds hardly any better than my old DSL service, but noticeably less reliable. AT&T's phone lines in my neighborhood are ancient and AT&T is obviously doing as little as they can to upgrade them or even maintain them since so many people have dumped their land line phones. I'm sure some of the Uverse connection issues have to do with the shitty Motorola DSL Modem/Router they make Uverse customers use. I can't use better quality, after market equipment like I was using with my previous DSL connection.

I'm slowly migrating all my online accounts over to different e-mail addresses, getting ready to switch to cable Internet. Fidelity now owns the cable company here in town. Their TV service is an overpriced joke (and they make you pay considerably more for HD service while DirecTV and Dish provide HD for nothing extra). But Fidelity is offering much faster Internet speeds. I can get a 20Mb/s connection for $30 per month. I'm paying $40 for Uverse's stuff now. But I'm now out of their 1 year contract. So it's time to switch.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 11-02-2014 11:03 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You should consider registering your own domain name. Then you can have an email address (or as many as you want) that is independent of any ISP. You can rent server space for very little these days, or run your own if you prefer. And if you decide to change the way that you're hosting your server, moving your email is as simple as updating your dns record with the IP address of your new email server.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 11-03-2014 03:55 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The phone repair guy just left. He re-wired the phone jack that the modem plugs into. He said that he just changed it to use Pair One instead of Pair Two. I don't know enough about it to know what that actually means, but he said that their old modems that they used when they first offered the dsl service used Pair Two and that's why that jack was wired in the way that it was.

After he rewired the jack and plugged the modem back in I have 24.77Mbps download speed and 2.13Mbps upload speed on my dsl connection (that's now working again). So I'm pretty happy with that.

I asked him what protocol this service uses and he said that this new higher speed service is VDSL.

I still have the same modem that they gave me when I got the 10Mbps service.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 11-03-2014 04:17 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it all depends on how wicked your local phone company has implemented their network. Usually, a phone line is just two (twisted) copper lines. In house cabling often uses 4 wires, but as soon as it leaves the building, it's usually just two.

But it's not common to just draw a single pair to any subscriber terminal. Because someone might want two separate phone lines or a copper wire might inadvertently break. Usually you get at least two pairs, around here you usually get 4 to 8 pairs per termination point and businesses often a lot more. It usually depends on local regulation and how mingy and foreseeing they were when they installed it.

Usually when you order DSL but keep the analog telephone service, they install a splitter on either end of the line. The splitter is essentially just a frequency filter. At the PBX, they hook one side of the splitter into the DSLAM (essentially just a large bunch of modems concentrated into a single device) and the other one back into the good old phone switch. At your side you hook up the "phone" side of the splitter to your telephony equipment and the DSL side goes into your modem. If you have a dedicated DSL service, without analog voice, they should omit the splitter on either side and it's just your modem and their DSLAM talking with each other.

Now, maybe they already pre-wired the second pair of copper wires going into your building to one of their VDSL capable DSLAMs, or maybe just on the same DSLAM, but just another port. When they switched your service, they disconnected your profile from the existing ADSL port and took it live on the VDSL port. Since they didn't effectively disconnect your "old" line from the DSLAM port, your modem was still capable to sync, but there was no more service behind it.

Still, this all sounds like a problem that would be common for almost everybody with the same setup as you have and who upgrades their service.

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-08-2014 05:03 PM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Typical DSL (HSI) wiring was as such down here:

-

The splitter is passive and the filter kept telephony from interfering with the data. Both data and voice shared the same cable pair back to the CO.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-08-2014 08:06 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ug. Screw DSL. I'd get faster data if the internet was mailed to me as binary code printed out on many sheets of paper and I had to type it in manually. Grasshoppers can piss with more strength than a DSL stream

-
I did this while the WiFi in the house was being used by Jen for Yotube. Comcast.

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-09-2014 05:24 PM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DSL is a stop gap measure at best. Better than ISDN but inferior to FTTP or Cable. They've squeezed about as many bits as possible with The DMT protocol running at the Link Layer. Cable has the limitation of being user sensitive in that bandwidth is shared with multiple users. It is after all, a broadcast bus and the more congested the link to slower the response time. My son has Comcast internet and it is lightning fast during the day and painfully slow at night. FTTP on the other hand is dedicated bandwidth. The beauty of FTTP is that it can be multispectral. The configuration of FTTP (FiOS) in my location uses three spectra: one for voice, one for video and another for data. Presently I have 50 Mbps bi-directional.

PS: The diagram in the earlier post was taken from training I developed some years back.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: